The dream machine? MP3 Player with Voice Recording feature

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

bradhurley wrote:The rumour (to be confirmed later today) is that Apple is coming out with some smaller, cheaper iPods today, priced around $100 US or so. If this Griffin gadget fits on those iPods as well, you might have the perfect, unobtrusive pocket recorder for quickly grabbing tunes at a session. And even if it is mono, so what -- you'll at least have the tune.
Well, not quite what we had hoped...

ImageImage
/Bloomfield
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

And it's NOT compatible with the Belkin Voice Recorder :sniffle:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:Well, not quite what we had hoped...
Yeah, but it comes in 5 colors.......

Loren
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

The thing that surprised me most about the iPod mini was the price. For $249 you get 4 gigabytes. But for another $50, you could get the 15 gigabyte entry-level iPod. It doesn't make sense to me: why would anyone want the iPod mini when they can get a full-fledged iPod for only $50 more? I suppose the selling point is the size -- no bigger than a credit card.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm telling you man, it's the colors! :lol:

Loren
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

bradhurley wrote:The thing that surprised me most about the iPod mini was the price. For $249 you get 4 gigabytes. But for another $50, you could get the 15 gigabyte entry-level iPod. It doesn't make sense to me: why would anyone want the iPod mini when they can get a full-fledged iPod for only $50 more? I suppose the selling point is the size -- no bigger than a credit card.
Yeah exactly, for me size is important. The smaller the better. Er...
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

They're just trolling for the big spenders that have to have the latest-greatest like me... Ha! Just kidding... They'll most definitely drop the price another 50 or so once their analysts tell them to. I'm actually looking into that Iriver 20gigger... Looks pretty good.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

If anyone has had experience with the iRiver hard-disk recorders, please speak up -- reading the tech specs, I think this could be what I've been waiting for:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/estore/ihp-120.htm

Line-in and you can record direct to MP3. Sounds nearly perfect, as long as the sound quality is reasonably good (on par with minidisc quality). Price is about $400 US.

-Brad
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

bradhurley wrote:If anyone has had experience with the iRiver hard-disk recorders, please speak up -- reading the tech specs, I think this could be what I've been waiting for:

Line-in and you can record direct to MP3. Sounds nearly perfect, as long as the sound quality is reasonably good (on par with minidisc quality). Price is about $400 US.

-Brad
Beside the sound quality, what I'm really curious about is how many steps it takes to be able to start recording. If you need 6 menu selections that would be a real pain... But the device looks cool!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

bradhurley wrote:If anyone has had experience with the iRiver hard-disk recorders, please speak up -- reading the tech specs, I think this could be what I've been waiting for:

-Brad
Yes, looks cool. Does Line-in mean that you'd need a pre-amp on the mike? That would make it unwieldy for sessions & workshops etc. Also, does anyone know if USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1? I only have USB 1 & FireWire (IEEE1394) on my Mac.
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1.

Brad, what about that one?

<A href='http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk ... >Archos</a>

Does the same thing, and HAS an internal mic AND digital line in.

Oh and it has a digital camera built-in... Hu... !
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

-Brad
here's all the features on this hard disk player.
http://www.digimania.be/en/prod_det.asp?ProductID=404
http://www.digimania.be/en/prod_det.asp ... =404#specs
instead of recording live mp3, you can also record at wave 11.025 KHS, you'll have less room on the player that way, but better recordings.

btw, i'd keep my hands of any archos make, i've a lot of trouble with this jukebox 3
glauber

Post by glauber »

The most important things for recording live, in my not humble opinion:

(1) Easy to start. Press one or 2 buttons.
(2) No messy user interface. For example, no such nonsense as having to specify a file name for your recording.
(3) Recording level must be adjustable any time during the recording, and this has to be extremely easy to do (i.e.: give me a button to press or a knob to twist, no such nonsense as digging down in some sort of menu).
(4) Recording level must be monitored during the recording, i.e.: give me some kind of display that shows me real time if i'm recording too soft or too loud.
(5) Battery must last at least 3 hours.

The Archos manages to fail most if not all of these.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Yeah, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Archos jukeboxes, which is too bad.

As far as the line in goes, it says it's a "mic in" input, which I suspect means plug-in power so no preamp is needed (similar to minidisc)

The iRiver units also have a built-in mic if you don't mind lower recording quality.

Me, though, I'm still gonna wait a year or two and see if Apple comes out with a really recordable iPod.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've been eyeing the iRiver box also, now that they've announced the 40Gig model.

From what I gather you <b>cannot</b> adjust levels while recording.

A must have for me is the ability to review a recording a split a track. I tend to record 1-2 hours of the session then review it over the next few days and just pull out the tracks I'm interested in.

Eddie