OT: Why, o why do they always end up here in the Bay Area?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh well, they don't all end up in Berkeley. Some end up in Santa Cruz. My old church was full of this kind of thing.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

Typical singer-songwriter fluff. She's got kind of a decent voice but she needs to learn to play that guitar a lot better and develop a better sense of timing. Also needs to find someone who's better at producing because even her studio cuts were really poorly mic'd and mixed.

This is a good illustration of the principal I recently read in an article from a guy in the music biz who postulates that computers and MP3s are destroying music, not because people are copying and swapping CDs, but because any dang fool with a computer can "produce" an mp3 and even a CD. eMusic was (probably still is) a perfect example of that -- other than some good old blues/gospel/country most of eMusic's offerings were poorly produced garage bands and singer-songwriters that should never have been heard outside of their immediate neighborhoods :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

aderyn_du wrote:Edited to also add: You'll find quite a lot of Mother worship in the Jewish tradition, if you look deeply enough.
Why does God have to have a sex or gender? I don't think God reproduces that way.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

The mystery of Great Mother and her son

http://xx.acs.appstate.edu/~davisct/tem ... igions.htm

:roll:

Babylonian myth: Istar, the amorous
Polynesian myth: Hina, goddess of childbirth
Arabian myth: Athtar, Arabic version of Venus
Egyptian myth: Min, god of reproduction
Slavic myth: Baba Yoga, a female god who devours victims.
Nordic myth: “Frey’ja, Venus-like goddess of love.
Another Nordic myth: Ner’thus, “Mother Earth”, giver of fertility, peace and plenty.
Greek myth: Demeter, the Earth Mother

many of them have sons. In most cases they are identified with their mothers, who are represented as "rather a male principle in a female form".

quoted from
Bray. Frank Chapin, “The World of Myths – a dictionary of mythology”, (New York, Thomas Y. Crowell Company, 1935)

True myth: Mary gave birth to The King of Corn Kings. :)

The following books are also very fun, too.

Neumann. Erich, “The Great Mother”, (New York, Bollingen Foundation Inc., 1963)

and

Charles. Picard, “Die Grosse Mutter von Kreta bis Eleusis: Eranos – Jahrbuch 1938” (Zurich, 1939).
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I don't mind the octave vent in a nose, if the keywork looks nice :)

Now, seriously, folks, and as Azalin would put it:
"Couldn't she play balalaika for the music it's meant for, i.e. the Red Army Choirs and Dances?"
:lol:
Caj

Re: OT: Why, o why do they always end up here?

Post by Caj »

The Weekenders wrote:spend a few minutes at this website, then, if you feel so inclined, answer question above.

This is nothing new. "They" have been "ending up here" since the 1600s.

America was practically colonized by people whose religions were, erm, non-standard enough that they were forced to leave their home countries. That's why our country is so religious, why the very first sentence of the bill of rights is a separation clause (largely voted in by Baptists and Presbyterians, fearing an Anglican-style "Church of America,") and why every year parents all over the country still complain about high school biology textbooks and physics textbooks and geology textbooks.

Caj
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

lilymaid wrote:
Why does God have to have a sex or gender? I don't think God reproduces that way.
Actually, lilymaid, I think the Divine is All, as very well spoken in Hermetic Principles. But as humans, it is natural for us to try to put a face (gender) on something to better understand it. For me, I work within a Goddess-oriented tradition and am better able to connect with my spirituality through the Divine Feminine. :)

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
brownja

Post by brownja »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Okay, okay, sorry, everyone. Maybe I'm just too cynical anymore.
Well Nano...I sympathize since I live in the hazy area between cynical curmudgeon and new-age weirdo...I feel like a hybrid, but I understand both places.
Me too...
Sometimes my wife and I think we're kinda "out there", then we go into the city and realize, we can't even see "out there" from where we're at.

Or to put it another way, looking at "normalcy" as some kind of bell curve. The middle is really fat, but the sides go out for a looong way.

cheers,
jb
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

A few new age weirdos migrated to Berkeley during the hippie era, and the migration escalated because of the 'like attracts like' principle of human interaction.

I myself have always dabbled a wee bit in magick and occult arts, but within the context of older, established traditions with more claim to authenticity than these chic neopagan fads.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I'm downloading one of the MP3s to have a listen, but dialup is sssoooooo sssllllooooowwwww.

The Isman cometh...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Feh.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, Nano, I didn't intend to get judgmental about the music after all. I was perusing Craig's List and she was looking for a violinist. I checked out the page, thought the photos, Temple and Bio pages were hysterical and started the thread.

What's weird about Berkeley and Santa Cruz isn't the old hippies/New Agers, its the young new ones!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, there I go putting my foot in my mouth again. Must be the full moon.

I'll just bow out. *bows*
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Nanohedron wrote:Feh.
One of my favorite words!

:)
~JessieD
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

We here in the sensible and level-headed Great Lakes/Midwest region always think of fruitcakes as coming FROM California, not the other way around. (or from New York, but California is the first choice)
Mike