A Davy Spillane Low Whistle soon-2004!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:update: i'll have my final say regarding my friend davy
spillane. 1-i feel that the best thing that could have come
of all this is that individuals had a great opportunity to
express to davy personally through the board how they
felt ( he read them all!!!!! ) and perhaps otherwise you would
not have had that chance. unfortunately, i do feel that he will
not be making any statements soon to the board. i also
feel that even though this forum is a great medium for
expression, but not always the best way for others if this
is what they wish! 2- regarding davy's low whistle! again,
april to my understanding is the timeframe for the release
of his whistle to the public. ( to all who say's they are not
holding there breath, you just may be pleasantly surprised)
he just may surprise you! :) i'll tell you this much: its has
an aluminium body, large finger holes, and black top! its
really cool! i also promised to perform a sample w/ it. i'll
honor that promise soon enough.i'll keep you all posted!
thanks again for giving me the chance to simply shed a
little light on davy! :) it was really nice that you expressed
your thoughts whether possitive,or negative.all the best!
Davey Spillane needs Talbert St. Claire to perform a sound clip on new line of never-before-seen aluminum-body-and-black-delrin-top low D whistles...

how can you possibly be yawining, Glauber? :eek:
/Bloomfield
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

I've just read this entire thread. You've got to hand it to Talbert he sure keeps his cool in the face of some lively crits of his friend. I don't understand Davy's approach of going through Talbert though. Kind of immature. Let's hope Talbert's make on the situation is correct. It would be nice for this to resolve itself on a positive note. Finally- Everyone should have the opportunity to repent of past performance and make ammends for their actions or words. Even Davy. Although I'm sure he'll meet some resistance and negative imput about his past. Let's hope he has the strength to stand up and resolve this history.

You guys are a tough crowd when it comes to whistles. Remember IOAFW... "It's Only A Fricking Whistle"
susnfx

Re: thanks much!

Post by susnfx »

talbert st.claire wrote:...unfortunately, i do feel that he will
not be making any statements soon to the board.
Why? How long could it possibly take? It's nice that he has a spokesperson though.

This is ridiculous.

Susan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I dunno, Susan. It's advertising, from the school of "any publicity is good publicity," though I am not honestly sure it was intentionally posted for that reason. Gee, can you think of another whistle maker who managed to stay at the top of Page One nearly everyday for months and months?

The actual release will be anti-climactic.

No matter how dismissive Mike Susato was all those months ago about the total whistle buying population CF represents, this site does generate interest and sell whistles. Look at the latest Newsletter. Makes ya want to order some!
janice

Post by janice »

Yup, this is ridiculous and somewhat suspect. :roll:

But you're right, Weeks....any publicity is good publicity.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

jonharl wrote:I don't understand Davy's approach of going through Talbert though...
You mean, you can't understand why Davy Spillane doesn't try to address us all directly? Well I can.

There seems to be an assumption that he is bound by some mysterious code to come to our little corner of cyberspace and grovel. Get a life, guys. (Would you risk a hostile interrogation from Brian and Bloomfield?)

BUT ... Some of us have paid money for his records! We are his public! We put him where he is! He cannot be allowed to get away with lack of due respect to us, the true fans of the low whistle and masters of the fipple universe! He doesn't deserve to make a living if he's not prepared to acknowledge his sins before Dale and his subjects!

Yawn. Let's not overestimate our importance in the grand scheme of things.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

StevieJ wrote:There seems to be an assumption that he is bound by some mysterious code to come to our little corner of cyberspace and grovel. Get a life, guys. (Would you risk a hostile interrogation from Brian and Bloomfield?)
Hostile? Hostile interrogation?

How can you suggest such a thing. Really, I'd just like to a have a friendly little chat with Davey. Over tea. ;)

/Bloomfield
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Steve, I agree with you up to a point; however, there's more history here than just someone with some notoriety owing us something. There's a history of DS pouncing on this board (at least Dale) for allowing anyone to even suggest that he plays any other whistle than his own (which he claimed he'd been selling). He's not a complete stranger to this board. Now up pops Talbert St. Claire, who appears to be a very nice, reasonable person, saying that Davy has asked him to tell us about his new whistles (oh, and in a thread I just saw for the first time, Talbert says Davy says to stop using his name for commercial purposes).

My question is, then, why doesn't he do this himself? If he's read this thread, as Talbert says he has, he certainly realizes his reputation has suffered here, and it would seem to me that he'd take the opportunity himself to mend a few fences with some folks who are interested in his line of work (however small the population) and in spite of the threat of a show-down with Bloomfield.

That's all.

Susan
(I should add, however, that so many tricks have been played with DS's name here, I doubt the guy could make anybody believe he was really himself if he tried.)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Though I tend to agree with ya, Stevie, in fact, if he wants to be a whistle builder (not what he is famous for), maybe a one-time post of introduction would be just good business, not groveling. Nobody asked him to grovel and I don't think first-time posters are ever beat up by mean ol Bloomfield.

Also, he could be his best own spokesman. It's just gotten too weird, that is, Talbert's posts of second-hand quotations.

Hey, I got all the low whistles I will ever want, I am really more like Glauber about all of this and I hold no pretension of seeking cyber-justice over some confusion of the past.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:o Yikes... a few days of not being able to spend time in Chiffy land, and come home to find this. What an interesting kettle of cookies.
talbert st.claire wrote: i'm a man of my word!-talbert
Yes, you are. I can personally vouch for that... so long as you don't go pulling any Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde switch on me now. :D

All I know about Davy Spillane is what others on the board have said of him. Not the best way of learning about someone I suppose, but that is as it is. I haven't been much of a follower of his music, not because I wouldn't want to listen, just simply because I haven't gotten around to looking into it all that much. Course, there are a lot of whistle/pipe playing musicians that I have yet to for a variety of reasons give good listen to. Someday I hope. I don't even remember what they guy looks like... couldn't currently pick him out from any other soul on the street to save my life (unless they were all playing whistles, then I might possibly have a chance to guess???) :)

Anyhow, that said I'm more inclined to keep the torches and pitch forks out of this. He is who he is. No amount of hoping or begging or whatever from us is going to change him into whatever anyone else thinks he should be. Even Talbert can only talk to him about it, he can't make Davy do anything that he is not ready and willing to do for whatever personal reasons. If I've learned one thing in life, it's that you can't force anyone change into what you want them to be. With some people you just have take them as they are, like it or not... and move on with life.... and generally hope that perhaps someday there will be a change for the positive (whatever you view as positive I suppose... which can be quite subjective depending on who you are talking to as there are multiple ideas of what positive is out there.) If Davy's apparent outward public behavior has offended some folks... that's sad and unfortunate but not everyone is going to be everything we want them to be. People aren't perfect, everyone's different. Some things just aren't worth getting your knickers in a big knot over. Okay, yeah, getting repetative here.

In the end, guess I just hope that positive things come of all of this, that the whistles happen and are able to bring some joy to some folks and that perhaps even someday that more people will be able to see a little more of the side of Davy that Talbert has been blessed to see.

:) Sara (keeping the glass half full)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Well, if he does come by I hope he picks a great screen-name, stays anonymous, and has a good time.

Think of how much groveling there would be if he did post as himself! :)

BTW, I listened to the tunes on your website Talbert and I thi
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I really wish we could all get together for a drink someday.. You guys crack me up. :lol:
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Talbert, a question or 2
How can we be sure that you even really know DS? Perhaps you could post some proof such as a pic of the two of you playing whistles together? If DS doesn't personally want to respond to this board, that is his business, and I wouldn't blame him, although he could really do a nice contribution to the whistle and pipe communities by doing so even if under an alias! In my opinion he is indeed a great piper and whistler, although I mostly only listen to his traditional album with Glackin (even on the back of that several year old album it insinuates his whistles being available) and the Riverdance tunes. But come now, why out of the blue should we accept you as his unofficial spokesman rather than someone just trying to keep this thread alive for his own entertainment?
Ailin
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

The Weekenders wrote:Though I tend to agree with ya, Stevie, in fact, if he wants to be a whistle builder (not what he is famous for), maybe a one-time post of introduction would be just good business,
I'm not so sure about that......several well meaning whistle builders have been driven from the board in the past.......why would he want to open himself up to ridicule and abuse for talking about his product, which is what happens here too often.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

WhistlingGypsy wrote:why would he want to open himself up to ridicule and abuse for talking about his product, which is what happens here too often.
Yup, I've got a few questions for him ready to be asked.

1) Hey Davy, were Celine Dion around when you learned the "Titanic" on the low whistle?

2) Did you ever think of using a low whistle for what it's meant: irish music?

3) Will you start making your own CD and MP3 players?

4) You were playing for Bryan Adams on his last CD, do you think that *he* should have been singing for you instead?