Hello to everyone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I don't have an A whistle. Does this mean my whistle stock is sadly lacking? I don't think I have even seen an A whistle. Oh, WhOA is me again.

BTW welcome back Bill.
Ron
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have an A whistle, I think it's a good key as it has much of the deep resonance of the low whistle, while still being almost as easy to finger and play as a high D.

A B-flat is also nice to have if you'd like to play along with fifes or with Great Highland Bagpipes. Of course, there is no guarantee you'll be heard!--but at least you can play along.

--James
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

RonKiley wrote:I don't have an A whistle. Does this mean my whistle stock is sadly lacking? I don't think I have even seen an A whistle. Oh, WhOA is me again.

BTW welcome back Bill.
Ron

Yeah. me too.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Bill! Welcome back. Good tae have ye amangst us again! :)
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

trisha wrote:You mean, you killed an innocent little whistle after prolonged torture :( :( :( . And the punishment will be... :twisted:
Trisha
Trust me, there was nothing innocent about that whistle :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

DCrom wrote:Mostly, I just want an A whistle because I . . . well, I want an A whistle! :lol:
Oh, I wasn't implying you shouldn't get the A whistle, or even that you shouldn't play duet with the better half. I just wanted to clarify that it will sound good for short runs but your ears would bleed after a night of it :)

As for the A whistle, I have a Burke composite in A that is lovely, but I think my Burke Low F probably gets the most play of my non-D whistles. That one you can feel vibrate in your hands. I was very resistant to getting one of Mike's composite whistles and pleaded with him a few years ago to make some alto whistles in brass -- I used to kid him that I didn't want to stick "sewer pipe" in my mouth. I finally ordered the Low F and discovered that I liked it very much, though I still prefer metal for soprano whistles.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Hi, John.

Do you still have the Shaw A head?

If so, if you would be willing to invest the price of postage, I would be willing to reassemble and tweak it for you at no cost. I believe that's the best way to get the fullest potential from that whistle. I can't bear to stand idly by, hearing of a Shaw A that's been through what yours has.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Hi Jerry, thanks for the response. I don't know if I still have the head or not. I'm not sure it would make a difference if I did, I had to take some metal off the top, so if the top and bottom were put back together the total length would be too short. I really didn't want to hack up the Shaw, but I couldn't play it with the misaligned holes.
I have a hard time playing whistles where the 5th and 6th holes are a disproportionally(sp?) greater distance than the other holes. The Gen Bb is set up same way. So that and the misaligned holes made it almost impossible for me to play. Which is a shame, I really like Shaw whistles.
DON'T DRINK SOAP!
KEEP OUT OF EYE!
DILUTE! DILUTE!
OK!
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Welcome, Bill.

I too, enjoy my Mezzo-Soprano A. Mine is Overton with nice tone but a little on the LOUD side; so, it doesn't get much play inside the house. Spring, Summer and Fall it usually gets a nice work out in my back yard.

My yard is small and 60 percent shade and bordered at the back with the neighborhood commons area, with its acres of regularly cut grass. With no need for lawn I've tried to convert my little fenced area to resemble a hollar in the mountains, shaded with boulders, mosses, ferns, hostas, and bark mulch to make a cool retreat spring through fall. 'Tis my favorite place to unwind with a tune or two. The next door neighbor boys peer over the fence and the younger one prances around on their deck as I sit and spin reels and jigs. The A carries well, it's clear tone carring over the nearby highway's rumble. I built a little water fall that mixes well with "The Foggy Dew" as it lifts from my A whistle, in the afternoon shade.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Hi Bill :)
billw

All my nice friends

Post by billw »

Hello to everyone who has welcomed me back and to those who haven't. I'm not going to be online much. I came back this way because my friend Randy Orman said people thought he was me. He isn't. I am.

Serpent will not be returning to C&F, nor to GC.
The snake-related names of Serpent whistles are going away, as well.
I apologize to those I've offended.
I am Bill Whedon. I make whistles.

Best to you all,
Bill
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

A'h
8) A true Whiserholic 8)
Stay with the program this time Bill :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

S'funny - I have only one A that I haven't played in many months. I'd probably sell it but I don't want to break up my set of Overtons. I just don't get into the A sound for some reason.