Lets Post SOME Great Irish Bands

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PogueMahone
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lets Post SOME Great Irish Bands

Post by PogueMahone »

im always looking for some great Irish Music to listen to, bands i like to listen to are:

The Pogues
The Dubliners
The Mahones
Greenland Whalefishers
Christy Moore
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Enya
U2
Sinead O'Connor
Phil Coulter
Van Morrison
The Corrs
Chris de Burgh

Oh, man, I love Irish music.
/Bloomfield
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Bloomfield wrote:Enya
U2
Sinead O'Connor
Phil Coulter
Van Morrison
The Corrs
Chris de Burgh

Oh, man, I love Irish music.
LOL!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

billw

hmmmm....

Post by billw »

Not real sure about the name, but I think it's "The Music Makers" on the Teantrai album available from Shanna Quay (still, I hope, been more'n a year...
Cheers,
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, to give you some recommendations that fall a bit more into the spectrum of what most folks here think of as Irish music, I would start with the Chieftains, particularly their early stuff, and Altan, and Danu.

That oughta keep you busy a while.

--James
slowair

Post by slowair »

How on Earth are you all missing the Bothy Band?

Shame on ya all.

Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The Irish Rovers (old and new)
The Clancy Brothers
Solas
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
PogueMahone

Post by PogueMahone »

A little review of a pogues album:::::::

The Pogues: Rum Sodomy and the Lash
Debauchery and tears. The second effort from the legendary Pogues promises it from the outset. From the cover piss-take on the painting “Le Radueau De La Medusa (The Wake of the Medusa)” to it’s fiery, howling mad content; “Rum, Sodomy and the Lash” delivers in spades. From puking up in Church to fighting the Turks in Gallipoli, from courting Sally MacLennane to riding with Jesse James, it’s all here, wrapped in the familiar wails of the Wildcats of Kilkenny.

Generally lauded by both critics and fans as the Pogues finest hour (no argument from me, except to add that “If I Should Fall From Grace…” is as good) and produced by the master himself, Elvis Costello, “RSATL” is nothing short of a perfect album. I remember finding the vinyl for $3 in a second-hand shop many years ago, and having no idea what awaited me, and if any of you Basmatis haven’t heard the album, then I envy you, for the first time you listen to it is almost a religious experience.

Shane’s twisted poetry has arguably never been as clear as it is on this record. Every cut a winner. Inspired. Original line-up. (A good companion to this record is the Pogues book “The Lost Decade” which details the history of the band, and also the making of this record.) It just seems the band were at their tip-top, like they never were before, and never quite would be again. Shane vocals would never be as purely emotive as they are here. He’s always the master, but this is him in his prime. The rest of the band follows his lead - From Spider’s speed demon tin whistle to Cait O’Riordan’s bass playing (always had a soft spot for ol’ Rocky) it all just works.

You can tell you’re in for a helluva ride from the outset. “The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn” promises: “there’s devils on each side of you with bottles in their hands/you need one more drop of poison and you’ll dream of foreign lands.” And off we’re whisked. The boy-prostitutes of “The Old Main Drag” sing a woe-begotten tale, which is quickly drowned out by the cries of “The Wildcats of Kilkenny.”

Up until then, things had been a wild, violent, drunken ride. Debauchery. Now come the tears. The old standard “I’m a Man You Don’t Meet Everyday” with a twist - Cait on vocals. Beautifully rendered. Tugs at the old heartstrings this. But then. Oh, but then. Perhaps Shane’s finest moment. Perhaps his purest vocals. “A Pair of Brown Eyes.” Jesus Christ, what a (bleep) tune. No use trying to describe the tale of war, love, loss, redemption. Just listen to it yourself. I sure as hell can’t do it justice. Modern Irish poetry.

Things pick back up for the crowd favorite “Sally MacLennane” with it’s tale of Jimmy’s exploits round the world but him never forgetting he loved the town where he was born and poor ol’ Sally. “Jimmy drank until he choked and took the road to heaven in the morning.” And what a trip it most assuredly was. The highlights just keep coming: Ewan McColl’s “Dirty Old Town” might as well have been written by Shane because after this recording, he has owned it ever since. “The Gentleman Soldier” is a sentimental favorite, million miles an hour, with punk rock vocals by the one and only Spider Stacy, and then things wrap up with the ultimate anti-war sentiment “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda” and once it ends, just try to swallow the lump in your throat.

To me, it’s simple: The genre of Irish punk owes most everything to this one record. Sure, it wasn’t their first, and certainly not their last grand moment, but for a time, there wasn’t a band on Earth that could touch the Pogues. They could turn it up like the best punk bands only wished they could, and then could choke you up like the best balladeers. From the amount of bands that cover songs from this record, it’s clear - untouchable. Legend. I think it may be the most emotionally charged record I’ve ever had the good fortune to listen to and it’s enduring quality remains even today. So grab a drink and some tissues, put the record on and travel to foreign lands, have a drink and fight the good fight one more time with the first and the best. The Pogues.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Dervish
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I always figured Bloomfield for an Enya fan.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jim_mc wrote:I always figured Bloomfield for an Enya fan.
You have no idea. When I listen to Enya, I pass out. And those Latin lyrics leave me utterly defenseless.
/Bloomfield
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Deanta, Sweeney's Men.

Relativity were Irish/Scottish; Touchstone did some good Irish music, with American, Canadian, and Irish members.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Lunasa
Cherish The Ladies (and Johnie Madden, despite the high production)
Mary Bergin
Flook (ok, I've never heard them, maybe their not irish)
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

A fellow Pogues fan! A great drinking and party band, in the footsteps of the Dubliners.
Many on this board however are purists and look down on this kind of music as not traditional. OK, fair enough. But although MacGowan writes some great lyrics, most (all?) of the Pogues melodies are lifted from traditional sources (i.e. Body of an American = Irish Soldier Boy), so really it is more traditional than say Danny Boy or Mother Machree or the other 'traditional' tunes cranked out of N.Y.C. publishing houses.
The tunes aren't that hard to figure out (once you've figured out that some are in the key of C and you need a C whistle too - thanks Raindog1970!) and are approachable for a beginner. There are a lot of sites that have guitar tab for Pogues tunes so that should help.
BTW, Bloomfeild does a soul stirring rendition of 'Orinoco Flow' on his Overton Low D.