Another newly converted fan of....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Your feelings on Overtons are?

Tried them and loved them.
28%
Tried them and found them not to my personal liking.
18%
Have yet to try one out, but plan to someday.
28%
Happy with the whistles I've tried and not that interested in testing out an Overton.
13%
Other (cause Sunny is only human and can't think of everything... will just post the details of "other" below.)
12%

Total votes: 60

Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another newly converted fan of....

Post by Sunnywindo »

Overtons! :D Just gotta share my excitement with those who would understand. (Hubby just nods and gives me the "that's nice dear, glad you're so happy" type responses. :lol: )

Through the amazing generousity of a board member, I have recently aquired an Overton low F. I've had the chance to play several different types of low whistles, but while nice, none of them really clicked with me. After reading about Overtons, I had concluded that they may have what I was looking for in a low whistle, but sadly I had only the dream of it, as I had never had an opportunity to even see one in person, let alone play one and it was looking like it might be long while before I would. Then along came a wonderful, completely unexpected surprise... this Overton low F. Just have to say, I'm in love and completly hooked with this whistle... and so grateful to have it to play!

I don't consider myself really knowlegable enough about whistledom to give a proper review or anything, but I love the backpressure (I guess that's the term?) that it has, and how I can really lean into it. I didn't find it at all hard to adjust to, and I find the sound and feel to it as a player inspiring. Saying "as a player", as the feel I get from playing a whistle and listening are two different things. Tried out a friend's low Copeland once, loving the sound and thinking I would just love playing it as well. Not the case. It was a very fine whistle, and the sound was just lovely, but there was something that just didn't click with me personally when playing it. There was just something missing to me, hard to describe, guess it just boils down to personal preferences. But this Overton, not only has a sound I love, but that feel when I play... it sings to me, it clicks. It's just so fun to discover those special types of whistles that click with one and help make playing such a joy!

Offically throwing my oar in as another Overton fan.... :D

:) Sara

PS: Adding a poll because I have so rarely have had occasion to start a thread (espcially an on topic one) and thought trying out a poll would be fun. :P
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Tried one and at first found it not to my personal liking. But...but...I have determined to hang onto it and find out if it's because of the whistle or because of me. I think it's me and if I can master it, I'll have a beautiful instrument.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've not yet had the opportunity to try an Overton, but I figure I'd like them. They look like good whistles, and by reputation, I'd say they seem good, too.
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I haven't tried one, but hope to someday, just for curiousity's sake, if nothing else. I used to think I wouldn't like a whistle with much back-pressure, but since getting my Busman, I've found that I really like being able to lean into it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Come to the shindig up in SF and you will be able to try a couple of them! I will have my low D ( and about 2 million other low D's) and I thinK Stephen has one as well or is getting one. Anyway, mine will be there.

I really like it a lot. It was my first whistle and I did not know what people meant by the huge back pressure. It was easy for me. Now I have tried a few low D's and know what back pressure is, and I like it a LOT!

Everyone is invited to come to the Low Whistle Fest in SF and see for yourself.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
emmline

Post by emmline »

My Bernard Overton low D was my first "good" whistle after a Gen soprano D, and a Clarke D. I really struggled with it at first--mainly with hole coverage and clogging. The finger issue resolved itself, and Brigitte Goldie gave me some moisture management advice, which has helped enormously...but it is still MUCH more sensitive to coldness than my Alba, and I find it helps to warm it up with a blow drier a bit before I play. The alternative, if not at home, is to tuck the head into a warm body part...one must of course be discrete. I like its sound. I enjoy playing it. I thought the "lowness" would really appeal to me and be my niche, but honestly...I've concluded that I'm (at least for now) a more high than low whistle person. I cannot make any useful comparisons to a higher Overton since I don't have one.
I will also say that I prefer the low for slower, moodier pieces, and a higher whistle for faster songs...but that's just a stylistic way of pointing out that my finger dexterity is not what I'd like it to be.
I also appreciate the Overton's classic simplicity, and it's place in whistory...so I'll be keeping it for sure...and hoping the whistle and I grow to love each other more.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

A second-hand Bernard Overton Hi D was my first expensive whistle after Generations, Waltons, and Feadogs. Getting to know that whistle was a mythical experience. Just mindboggling. Now I have, um, about five or six of them, except that first one all Colin Goldies (who is in my humble opinion the world's most consistent whistle maker). There are many whistles I like, but Overtons, Sindts, and Generations are all I need, each for different purposes.
/Bloomfield
DSpillane

Post by DSpillane »

I love them!
-D
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

DSpillane wrote:I love them!
-D
Can I quote you on that?
Talbert St. Claire

generosity!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

hi sara, :) happy that you enjoyed the WHISTLE so much. i felt that the whistle and you would eventually become good friends. it's always great to assist another board member whenever possible!! if we whistler's cannot encourage and help our "family" then all our musical achievements mean nothing!! there is something special about giving of "yourself" and your "time" to someone in need! - all the best - talbert :wink:
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

-D
Very Funny Laughlin :lol:

Or was this perhaps from our long lost friend Porridge, in disguise once again? 8)

Either way, you made me chuckle.

Loren
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

-D
I thought you didn't endorse anyone else's whistles.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Talbert St. Claire

d.spillane!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

In NO WAY has Davy Spillane commented on this board!!! DAVY would
very much appreciate it if certain individuals stop using his name for
commercial purposes! he remains steadfast. does not endorse other
low whistle's. he wanted me to express this to you! thank you.-talbert
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:( And all I'd hoped was to see what the current community thoughts on the board about Overton's might be... so much for that idea. :roll:

:) Sara (Who wants to send out thanks to those who have added in a positive way to this thread all the same before letting it roll off into Chiffy oblivion.)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-