Flute cases; re CB Beginner's flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Grixxly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute cases; re CB Beginner's flute

Post by Grixxly »

All,

My family has bought me a Beginner's flute and druling over it on the website I noticed it doesn't come with a case. Could somone recommend where I might buy one? And I'm assuming I'll need to buy a cleaning rod? I'm guessing I could get that from any music store?

I guess the poker winnings I was going to use to buy the Beginner's flute will now go towards a blackwood model with tunings slide, etc. 10% there!! :)

Thanks,
Tony
Norm

PVC Magic

Post by Norm »

Hi Toni,
I have several "high end fly rods" some which I got without a rod case. I have trusted PVC Sched. 40 plastic tubing to protect them and never had any problems with them. You can make one for under $5.00
I would start with a 2" O.D. tube, cut to 1-1/2" longer than your flute, of PVC (most hardware stores carry it for about $2.50 for 10 ft.)
Buy 2 end caps to fit over the tubing ends(about $.50 each)
Get some 1" packing foam and cut a circle to fit inside your caps.
Now when you close one end with a cap, you have a tube with another end cap. Your flute should be poking out about an inch above the rim of the tube, so when you put the other cap on, it compress the flute into the foam of the other cap :boggle: . You can clean the white surface with denatured alcohal and a dry cloth when your done, the with a water proof ink pen, print your name and address on the tube. This gives the flute total protection from butter fingers :D Have fun.
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Have you asked Casey if he sells a case for his 2 piece flute? I know he sells one that works on his 3 piece models for about $25.

If Casey doesn't have a case, I'd check over at http://www.sweetheartflute.com/flutes.html since Ralph sells a padded case made to fit his two piece flute (it ought to work fine for Casey's, too).

I would not leave your wooden flute assembled in a PVC tube. It could damage the wooden tenon. Now, if you could get 4 inch PVC, you could make a case like Norm suggests since the two parts could go in side by side (perhaps wrapped in cloth so they don't scratch each other). Even with wider bore PVC, it should be cheaper than ordering a flute case.

Eric
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I use a cheap pistol case I bought at a local sports store. It has an egg-crate foam lining that does a good job of holding the flute.

Dave Copley sells them with his flutes.

Just bring a tape measure to the store and make sure to buy one that fits.

Eddie
Steven

Post by Steven »

I agree about the pistol case, which is what I use too. And having it in my carry-on last week, airport security didn't even blink!

You also asked about a cleaning rod. Be careful about going to a music store for that, because they probably will only have metal ones, which could scratch (and therefore seriously damage) the bore of your flute. They're made to be used with metal flutes. They will probably be able to order you a plastic one. Or, you could do what I do and use a length of wooden dowel with a hole drilled in one end. Just put the corner of a cloth (lint-free, I use a handkerchief) through the hole to keep it in place, then wrap the cloth around the dowel. Presto, instant swabbing/cleaning stick!

Enjoy the flute!!

:-)
Steven
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I actually lucked out and found a plastic cleaning rod at the local H&H music store. The fellow working there just gave it to me, so I bought a few sets of guitar strings from him as thanks.

So call around.

Eddie
BillG

Post by BillG »

Check this out

http://gunguard.com/special_ed.html

The last one on the bottom. I believe this is the one that Dave Copley supplies - as least to me he did when I got my flute from him. Its neat and compact. I put a small plastic envelope with a moistened sponge inside for humidity control. Stays around 65 - 70%. I put my wooden dowel cleaning rod and three or four Q-tips for cleaning the embouchure hole in it also. Just the right size for a three or four piece flute.

Carry on!!

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I like the idea of a pistol case. My Casey Burns has nested in two different Susato pouches...and the halves are screaming to be together.

Do you carve out the foam a bit to make a bit of a nest, or do you just use as-is?

Sounds rugged and will travel well. Danke viel mals. Merci beaucoups. Grazi mille. Teshekuridarin. Shie Shie. and all that.
mat

Post by mat »

For my 19thc Wheatsone I use a cardboard box that used to hold a bottle of Malt Whisky. Perhaps not the most robust case but a converstion starter and even cheaper than plastic tube!

It is however a step or two ahead of what I have heard refered to as 'Paddy's Flutecase'....a rolled up newspaper. :lol:
BillG

Post by BillG »

"Posted: 31 Dec 2003 13:17    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the idea of a pistol case. My Casey Burns has nested in two different Susato pouches...and the halves are screaming to be together.

Do you carve out the foam a bit to make a bit of a nest, or do you just use as-is? ]

I first carved out the form of one of my flutes in an earlier and larger flute case but I don't think this is necessary. Notice on their homepage they show an egg nestled in one.

I was going to order that same one for my Casey Burns but the second joint is too long for it. I have a larger case by the same districutor which I'll use for it.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Thanks Bill. My CB flute will find happiness. :)
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I looked all over for a case for my beginners flute, but they were all too short, as the flute is two piece (headjoint and single piece body). I finally found a suitable one at Lark in the Morning. It is their "wooden flute case for Irish flute - long center joint" or something like that. It is a nice looking wooden case with velvet lined, padded interior with divider. The "Folk Flute" fits perfectly inside, I think the interior is 16" long. A bit pricey though at $90. It has two latches but no handle, so it probably won't be good for gigging (I'm not at that level yet so the case is fine for me!) unless carried in a knapsack or something.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Another good option is a Cavallaro roll with the appropriate size and number of pouches.

http://www.cavallarocasecovers.com/
http://www.cavallarocasecovers.com/priclist.html#i

maybe the tenor recorder roll?

If you don't find what you need, call them.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The thing is that one part of the CB beginner's
flute is quite long. Don't see how it'll
go into a pistol case or many other
standards. The Ralph Sweet case
may do, but best to check the
dimensions.
BillG

Post by BillG »

I just measured the case I use for my Healy flute. On the diagonal it can handle just under 14 inches. It is a DOSKOCIL case manufactured by Gun Guard but I just went back to their web site and they no longer advertise pistol cases. I sent them an email and will keep you posted. If you check my post above don't bother going to the site.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><