How Important Is Cross-Fingering G#?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

How Important Is Cross-Fingering G#?

Post by raindog1970 »

With all the fuss over cross-fingering C-Natural, there seems to be a curious lack of concern over cross-fingering G#.
It seems that the most widely accepted G# fingering is XXOXXX, but I have yet to find a whistle that doesn't play this waaay too sharp.
It all boils down to the size of the A hole (hehe, I said "A hole"), and it is quite possible to make a whistle that properly cross-fingers G# XXOXXX, but I find it odd that no whistles I own will do so.
Should this be an area of concern for me when making my own tubes, or does nobody really care about G# as long as a whistle has a good cross-fingered C-Natural?
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I honestly don't think I've ever cross fingered G# in my life, so as far as I'm concerned, so long as I can cross finger my C nat., I'm a happy camper. Can't speak for anyone else, though.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I use half-holing myself as it's more in tune.

The only tune I can think of offhand I use it on is The Red Haired Boy.
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

I should have also mentioned that the customary XXOXXO cross-fingering of G# in the 2nd octave is usually quite flat, and there really seems to be no way to bring it into tune for both octaves.
Maybe that's the answer to my question - most makers opt for a middle ground rather than make one octave or the other cross-finger G# perfectly in tune.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I have a couple of whistles that fingering XXO XOX have the 2nd octave G# in tune, but since I learned half holing (sort of straightening out my top hand ring finger and dropping it slightly down the whistle), I can do it faster and easier than the crossfingering.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I am with fancypiper in that I half-hole G# (and Fnat and Eb), but I don't ever seriously need them for anything. They're more novelty notes, whereas I do need Cnat, and it's always crossfingered.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

When I first started playing whistle I played around with crossfingerings a lot but found that they changed so much from whistle to whistle that I could never remember what worked on which. Apart from the occasional C nat, I half hole all accidentals although the harder ones like Eb are a bit hit or miss. I play very chromatically mainly on blues where floating intonation isn't a problem and, wherever it is necessary to be dead right, one can usually slide up or down to the target note.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm with the others - I find half-holing is easier since whistles vary so much on the cross fingered G#. Still, I'm all for improved whistles, so I say go for it Gary.

Loren
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm a die-hard g# half holer. Same with Bb.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It's one of those cross-fingerings I forget because I so rarely play the G#s. On a few tunes that are in A, I have been known to cheat by using an E whistle. Otherwise its half-hole. I would like an Fnat cross-finger for Arthur Darley's and the Hunt. For some reason, I have more trouble with the F than the G#.Whether I would remember that one or not is debatable as well.
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

I can get a reasonable G# off my Seery with XXOXXX in both octaves, but I may be compensating for the sharpness of the natural resting place for that pitch by rolling in with out paying muchg attention.

The A hole on my flute is acutally one of the smallest. hmm that doesn't sound very good at all does it? :oops:

Best!

Scott McCallister
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Scott McCallister wrote:The A hole on my flute is acutally one of the smallest. hmm that doesn't sound very good at all does it? :oops:
Oh, I don't know, are you saying that a large A hole is better than a small A hole, then?
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nah-- just half hole them. I even usually play C nat this way. Cross fingerings vary from whistle to whistle, but half holing is always the same. Nothing extra to remember.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I'm curious is the Seery Whistle a conical bore whistle and is it pretty thick? Making a crossfingered G# on a thin brass cylindrical whistle is not easy without giving up something else.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D