What whistle to buy with Christmas money

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SwtCaro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What whistle to buy with Christmas money

Post by SwtCaro »

I got $50 for Christmas. I want to buy a higher end whistle, and within a month might be able to double (or even a little more) that amount to spend on a whistle. So under $150.

I have 7 inexpensive whistles (Meg, Jerry-Tweaked Sweetone, Clarke Orig, Feadog, Generation, Mellow D, and a Meg in C). I want something a little more pure and less likely to squeak. I usually play the Sweetone and the Clark Orig.

Any suggestions? I could get one great whistle, or a couple not as expensive whistles. Or a nice whistle and Grey's book. Or a whistle and a Hoover whitecap for said Feadog and Generation. <sigh> :boggle:

SwtCaro
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

For $150 you can get a Burke. I bet Michael gets a lot of orders from people who got a little Christmas money.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Actually it's under $150.
jluckett

Post by jluckett »

A great place to look at some of the higher end whistles is at The Whistle Shop. http://www.thewhistleshop.com They give you a pretty detailed description of each one.

What whistle you should buy really depends on what you want from the whistle.

For what it's worth, I really like my Silkstone's because they have lower breath requirements, little or no moisture issues, a smooth tone without being too airy, they're well balanced from octave to octave, and have a nice amount of chiff. But these will fall into the upper end of your price specs.

If you want Grey Larson's book too, you could look at getting a Dixon tunable or maybe a whistle from Mack Hoover. http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/

Have fun!
An mothaionn tu' t'inchinn ag crapadh agat?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If you like a pure-toned whistle, you would probably love an Elfsong.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I second Redwolf. Can't go wrong with an Elf in your collection.
Plenty of body colours to choose from, too! Also with the price you could spend the rest on another stuff; a mid-range whistle or a book.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

You might also consider a Water Weasel. For the amount you're talking about you can even get a C/D/Eb set, and Glenn always has some in stock.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Mongoose of Righteousness

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

If you like the Sweetone you'll love the Water Weasel. I dislike both. To me the tone is boring. You can't go far wrong with a Burke.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hoover.
Burke.
Sindt.
Weasel.
Rose. (a little more than $150 but VERY nice!)
Grinter. (though I don't recall how much these are going for now...)

Best!

Bri~
chas

Post by chas »

Brian Lee wrote: Grinter. (though I don't recall how much these are going for now...)
A year ago, my D cost $240US. Michael has recently gone to pricing in euros (wise move economically), so it's probably around 240 euro. Easily worth it in my book, but a little out of the poster's range.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

HOOVER! HOOVER! HOOVER!

Have a Whitecap equiped Feadog tube - I'ts the best high D I've ever played. Just got a Whitecap A and it's wonderful!
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Whistle_along_Cassidy

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Well, you should go with the burke or maybe a Syn, they have a tone similar to that of a sweetone. I would recomend Sindt because that is what i play, but the wait is too long.
-Andrew Cassidy
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

ALBA! ALBA! ALBA!

My wife picks her High D up 90% of the time. Very in tune, breath is not an issue, fairly broad tone control, just enough of an edge to it to keep it on the chiffy side without the windy sound some produce.

and OK....

HOOVER! HOOVER! HOOVER!

Be warned though that most of his whistles are on the quiet side.

edit

and SERPENT's redesigned Low A seems to be making waves as well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

The laminate-birch Sweetheart remains a totally underrated whistle...
and a great value for the buck.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
elendil

Post by elendil »

The laminate-birch Sweetheart remains a totally underrated whistle...
and a great value for the buck.
I totally second that. It's called the Professional, and it goes for $135.

If you're interested in a slightly lower whistle, Mack Hoover's Bb's are wonderful whistles and not pricey--I think they're like $60-65. I have an aluminum one with whitecap. Very nice.
elendil