Where's the beef? US announces first case of mad cow

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fiddling_tenor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where's the beef? US announces first case of mad cow

Post by fiddling_tenor »

It's a good thing I don't eat a lot of beef! After all Europe went through, AND admitting that some of the offending animal may have reached processing plants, US officials still insist the food chain is safe. Tell that to the 100+ people who died...

Time to turn the grilling chicken! :D

-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

It will be interesting to see how they handle this. The US were very quick to ban all Canadian beef after one isolated case of Mad Cow was found in Alberta in early Summer. They still have not lifted the ban, which has devestated the beef industry here in Canada. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I wonder what the reaction will be.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I'm waiting too.

With all I've learned about the meat-processing industry in the US, I'm not confident about the safety of meat BEFORE the announcement!

Now with this, and officials admitting the infected meat made it into the food supply chain. Well, it makes one wonder...
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oh great--my Christmas menu:
Corned beef for Xmas eve
Rare roast for Xmas

It's been nice knowing you all :-? :)
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Whats the quick hurry. Like I stated in other thread, CDJ Prions (Human Mad Cow) can be domant for 30 years (the record).
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

It's never too late to become a vegetarian and do something good for yourself, animals, and the planet.
As far as Mad Cow in the US, that was just a matter of time . . .
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
cyberspiff

Post by cyberspiff »

Ummm, wasn't there a recent problem with scallions from Mexico causing food poisoning? And before that mushrooms? Oh yeah, then there was a major outbreak due to lettuce. :D

Tongue-in-cheek of course, but you gotta follow basic sanitary rules. Wash your hands, cutting surfaces, food, preparation tools, use different preparation surfaces for meat and vegetables, etc, etc, etc.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Fenguin

Post by Fenguin »

mamakash wrote:It's never too late to become a vegetarian and do something good for yourself, animals, and the planet.
As far as Mad Cow in the US, that was just a matter of time . . .
And risk getting mad soybean disease?

Actually I prefer the vegetarian versions of meat dishes. With companies like Boca and Quorn, there's no reason to keep the antiquated slaughterhouse process around anymore. Maybe now that a little more self-interest is thrown into the mix, the industry will start to subside.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Mad Cow, Sad Cow, Fad Cow, Bad Cow...

Post by anniemcu »

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu

addenda

Post by anniemcu »

That is not to dismis the seriousness of the actual problem, just that I need to keep a laugh handy at the moment... christmas with an exploding tr\hree year old is scarey enough! LOL!... (sigh)
anniemcu
---
---
---
spittin_in_the_wind

Re: addenda

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

anniemcu wrote:That is not to dismis the seriousness of the actual problem, just that I need to keep a laugh handy at the moment... christmas with an exploding tr\hree year old is scarey enough! LOL!... (sigh)
Your tree and your three year old both exploded? I assume one had a hand in the other's demise...

Robin
anniemcu

Re: addenda

Post by anniemcu »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
anniemcu wrote:That is not to dismis the seriousness of the actual problem, just that I need to keep a laugh handy at the moment... christmas with an exploding tr\hree year old is scarey enough! LOL!... (sigh)
Your tree and your three year old both exploded? I assume one had a hand in the other's demise...

Robin
LOL! Actually, it was only the three year-old human-type that exploded. I was wise enough to keep the tree out of his reach.

Let me use this opportunity to wish more thought and less fertility to people who don't want to take the responsibility of raising their own children!! :x (anyone need something pressed?... I'm still steaming, LOL!)... oh, and make sure those teeth are well brushed, in case they latch onto your flesh!!! (yarrghhh!) :boggle:
anniemcu
---
---
---
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I talked to my Dad yesterday, he lives in the next town over from Chealis, where the mad cow was found. When I was up there last summer, he pointed the knacker out, as one that slaughters sick cows! Guess it caught up with the company!
Best become a vegie-eater! :D Jon
sturob

Post by sturob »

WhistlingGypsy wrote:It will be interesting to see how they handle this. The US were very quick to ban all Canadian beef after one isolated case of Mad Cow was found in Alberta in early Summer. They still have not lifted the ban, which has devestated the beef industry here in Canada.
Oh my gosh, do you really think mad cow was why the US banned Canadian beef?

There were two things, I would be willing to bet good money. First, Canada wouldn't back action in Iraq. That was going to have consequences for US:Canada relations. Second, Japan threatened major trade restrictions on US imported beef if the US couldn't guarantee that it did NOT import any beef from Canada. Japan has more than 4 times the population of Canada, so I bet the US figured, well, lose a market of 127 million, versus lose a market of 30 million . . . the math is easy. Mad cow was an easy scapegoat, as it were.

In my opinion.

Stuart
Wizzer

If this was the supprise they claim then why?

Post by Wizzer »

did this company's stock rise.
CAL-MAINE FOODS (NasdaqNM:CALM)
it went from under 10 dollars to over 40 dollars in just a few weeks.
:boggle:
we should take a look at who is investing in it over the past month.