Beginner trying to tackle some jigs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fopah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beginner trying to tackle some jigs

Post by Fopah »

Hello, Ive been playing for about 2 months now, and although i love them dearly, and have come up with a few of my own, i'm getting a little bored with slow airs,,, and those songs that came in my waltons learner book. So I was wondering what the best jig is for a beginner, just so i can pick up the feel of a jig, I believe if i can master a few of the easier ones, i will be able to play the tougher ones alot easier.

Thanks
Charlie
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Look for Gander in the Pratie Hole or The Blackthorn stick. Thouse ought to get you going. Then you can try to tackle the Kesh Jig, The Legacy and all thouse wonderful improvisation friendly G jigs.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

For info about the "feel of a jig," see Bro. Steve's site. Invaluable stuff.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

Susan
Fopah

Post by Fopah »

Thanks y'all. I like The Blackthorn Stick, its pretty fun... ille take a look at theat site Sus thx
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My Darling Asleep goes nicely with the Blackthornstick and is similar in difficulty. It has a tricky little thing in the first two measures of the second part, but goes nicely after that.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Swallotail is nice for learners.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Like the Butterfly Jig myself, has a nice feel to it that I like and I found it easier than some to pick out by hear (if you're a play by ear sort).

Goodluck and have fun whatever tune you try out.

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
meir

Post by meir »

people also like jimmy ward's jig, because it is mostly in the first octave.

the kesh jig actuallyl flows nicely from it- i would learn both and play them one after the other.

garret barry's is a bit more challenging but very good practice, and alot you can do with it in terms of ornaments.

meir
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

A few jigs I think fit good on the whistle:

Banish Misfortune
Blarney Pilgrim
Connachman's Rambles
Haste to the Wedding
Morrison's Jig
Joy of My Life
Monaghan Jig
My Darling Asleep
Tripping Up the Stair
janice

Post by janice »

I second Meir. The first jig I always teach teach to beginners is "Jim Ward's Jig," as the A parts stays in the bottom octave. And it's a nice little tune to boot.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I like fancypiper's list.

I especially like Morrison's, as it has some nice, isolated rolls. These are very instructive, and I learned rolls by playing this over and over in the car.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Sunnywindo wrote:Like the Butterfly Jig myself, has a nice feel to it that I like and I found it easier than some to pick out by hear (if you're a play by ear sort).

Goodluck and have fun whatever tune you try out.

:) Sara
Technically, the Butterfly is a SLIP jig. :D
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

Yeah butterfly is a slip jig, slip jigs are played a little different. Id recommend the donnybrook fair, one of the 1st jigs i learnt.
If "pro" is the opposite of "con" is progress the opposite of congress?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Morrison's Jig and Monaghan Jig are excellent tunes, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone who's only been playing 2months. I've been playing Monaghan Jig for well over a year and it's still tough going for me. Some jigs I've learned were a piece of cake the day I learned them: 10 Penny Bit and Swallowtail to name a couple. Along the same lines, some reels are killer to learn when you're first starting. I didn't know this and tackled some rough ones starting out, much to my great frustration. Jigs and reels in session collection books tend to be easier ones mainly.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”