OT: Chiff & Fipple is out of flu vaccine

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Did you get a flu vaccination?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 84

Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

mamakash wrote: Narcotics never make me feel better . . . I seem to always have some sort of negitive reation from them.
Geeze, that sucks. In all seriousness, I hope you get some relief, I know how difficult chronic pain can be :(

Good luck,

Loren
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I had this idea some time ago about fighting the Flu. One of the ways the flu spreads is by currency being passed hand to hand.

What if cash registers were designed with an Ultraviolet light (Germicidal Lamp) that would give the contents of the drawer a good dose of Ultraviolet light radiation to kill the germs. A fairly intense light could be used since it only works when the drawer closes, it would not be harmful to human eyes.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
frosty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by frosty »

Havent ever needed one! Would rather purify myself with good ol shine :D
Steven

Post by Steven »

Daniel, interesting idea, but I doubt most shops would be willing to pay for it. The key thing, whether passing currency or shaking hands or whatever, is to wash your hands a lot and avoid touching the mucous membranes in your mouth, nose, and eyes as much as possible.

Hey Frosty, Woodstock, eh? Well here's one for ya -- I actually know where that is! (OK, I cheated -- I grew up in Atlanta, and my brother's college roommate was from Woodstock.) There's getting to be a whole bunch of whistlers down that way. I'm coming down for Christmas, but I don't think I'll have time to get together with anyone, what with my parents wanting to see me and all. Too bad!

:-)
Steven
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

We really need to have an Atlanta-and-surrounding-areas-whistling-get-together one of these days!!!

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
sturob

Post by sturob »

I don't know if you can kill a virus with UV light . . . mebbe so.

I guess I buy Western medicine whole-hog, :) , so I get flu shots. And I actually never understand people's vehement opposition to them. There's very little to lose and a lot to gain, since there's a lot of evidence that your body does a better job of fighting flu strains similar to those in the vaccine when you get a flu shot.

Of course, it also irks me when (usually yuppie, sometimes granola-ie) parents refuse to get their kids vaccinated for some stupid reason. And their kids end up getting measles with complications . . . or polio. But that's vaccines in general, not flu shots in particular.

And to you naysayers, how do you know the shot didn't do anything for you? No one said it was a guarantee not to get sick. Maybe it prevented you from being sicker than you were that season . . . maybe it did nothing. I guess there are so few things with such a little price for such benefit . . . why not?

Unless you're allergic to eggs, of course. :)

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I can't get it because I am allergic to eggs. I tried to get one for Dan, but he is always in the city when the clinics are going on up here (he commutes). I really hope we don't get it, because if people have died from it, it can't be good for fetuses.
~JessieD
sturob

Post by sturob »

So that's an interesting twist to the poll. In a different breakdown, who didn't get it because of (a) allergy, (b) choice, or (c) lack of availability?

I work in a hospital in Toronto, as some of you might know, and for us, while not mandatory, it was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

And now I hear some idiot in a lab (in Asia) was working with the SARS virus, not using proper precautions, and he's come down with SARS. Yippee.

Stuart
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

sturob wrote:Unless you're allergic to eggs, of course. :)
Stuart
Years ago I was getting my mandatory GI flu shot, lined up moving through the cattle stall with a couple of hundred other folks. The bored med tech was asking each person "are you allergic to anything" just before he'd stab 'em with a needle. When he came to me and asked the bored question with the needle already halfway to my arm I said, completely deadpan, "well, I go into convulsions if I eat eggs."

He yanked his hand back so fast he dropped the needle. Then I couldn't hold the deadpan expression and about fell about the place laughing.

Of course, he was the guy with the needle and he did get his revenge...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
frosty

Post by frosty »

Hey Frosty, Woodstock, eh? Well here's one for ya -- I actually know where that is! (OK, I cheated -- I grew up in Atlanta, and my brother's college roommate was from Woodstock.) There's getting to be a whole bunch of whistlers down that way. I'm coming down for Christmas, but I don't think I'll have time to get together with anyone, what with my parents wanting to see me and all. Too bad!

:-)
Steven

Stephen,
I can remember when nobody knew where Woodstock Ga was and if they did they thought it was the boondocks. That was before N. Ga blew up with growth. :pint: cheers to ya!
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

mamakash wrote:There is no vaccine for cronic pain . . . it's snowing again, long hours at work, and the neck is acting up . . . again. Wish they had a shot for stuff like that.
You might ask your physician about Duragesic, a 3 day pain patch.

When I first tried them, I would toss my cookies the 2nd day of the patch, but now (second prescription), I just get a little bit more clumsy on the 2nd day and I have to watch my feet as I tend to trip over everything.

I only use them when I can't tolerate my pain any longer, but my pain comes and goes with my Crohn's disease activity and isn't continuous.

I don't take the vaccine because I am on immuno-suppressant drugs. I just had the first cold that I have had in 12 years that I caught Thanksgiving. I hope that's it for me this year.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i came across a natural flu shot. it's homeopatic medicine called "muco coccinum".
instead of a flu shot, you take 1 tablet every week during the winter.
http://www.bollesclinic.com/Newsletters/feb_spec.html
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

That's probably very similar to Oscillococcinum, which I use both as a curative and a preventative during flu season... it works wonderfully well. The only thing is that vegetarians will have to find something else-- it's a homeopathic extraction of duck heart and liver.

~Andrea
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

that's right andrea, i think both are worth a try and won't cause any harm.
i caught a dry cough last night, and felt weak but not feverish.
i took a sauna this morning.
i heard once you can beat the flu and sweat it all out in a sauna when you feel it's coming.
when the fever is there, it's too late for sauna.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Well, yeah, I got the shot. The years I get one, it seems like I don't even get a cold. I didn't get one the year they were in short supply and ended up with a succession of colds and coughs that I blame on a co-worker who wouldn't take any sick time.

I've known people who have a bad reaction following a flu shot and then swear off them forever. But isn't it a different compilation of vaccines every year?

I'm taking a mild dose of an immunosuppressant (methotrexate) for arthritis so I asked my rheumatologist about flu shots. She endorses them heartily. The arthritis is an autoimmune disease so I don't take eccinacea (or however you spell it) because of its immune-response-boosting properties. It has the potential of making the arthritis worse. I'm on one of the new injectable drugs now and it's darned near miraculous.
Oh yeah--I always liked the hot tub for heading off a cold. Sauna, too. The theory is that elevating your body temperature kills viruses. Besides, it feels good.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg