The C&F 2003 End-of-Year Inexpensive Whistle Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

All things considered, which do you believe is the best of these commonly-available inexpensive whistles.

Poll ended at Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:32 pm

Clarke (original, painted, or unpainted... any Clarke with a wooden block.)
15%
Meg
1%
Sweetone (including Celtic Whistle, etc.)
14%
Walton's (also called Soodlums)
10%
Little Black Whistle (including also Guinness whistle)
No votes
Feadóg
6%
Clare
9%
Generation
16%
Susato
15%
Oak
14%

Total votes: 80

IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Of all the inexpensive whistles we have played the Walton's Mello D is our favorite. Our absolute favorites cost considerably more than $15 dollars though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I like Oaks in the keys of D and C, and Gens in the keys of Bb and Eb.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:I have severe issues with the Feadóg. The one that I had was so bad out of the box that even Jerry Freeman couldn't tweak it.
Ahem ...

I couldn't tweak it then. I definitely can tweak them now, though. A Feadog has a different timbre than a Generation. More of an edge, huskier.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I voted for Clare, but would like to split my vote between Clare and Oak. For C, I'd cast an enthusiastic vote for Walton.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I have severe issues with the Feadóg. The one that I had was so bad out of the box that even Jerry Freeman couldn't tweak it.
Ahem ...

I couldn't tweak it then. I definitely can tweak them now, though. A Feadog has a different timbre than a Generation. More of an edge, huskier.

Best wishes,
Jerry
But, Jerry! That's beside the point. The real issue is that Cran said "even Jerry Freeman couldn't tweak it." This may become the next new phrase in whistledom to describe the absolute worst whistles!!! AND, besides Cran coining a new phrase , it also implies that you are the world's best tweaker!!

:D
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jen f »

Since you asked right now, I voted for the Oak. A couple of months ago, I probably would have said a Sweetone, and a couple of months from now, I might say something completely different! I guess it just depends on my mood.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Durign the week I was comparing the latest version of Jerry's 'tweak' with six or so different whsitles, pre 1980 generations in brass and nickel, a new generation, a Darra, an Oak, a Feadog and an old feadog head on a nickel gen tube. They all had their merits and their faults. Some are sweeter, some have more edge, some are slightly louder some require a tiny bit more air [the latest Feadog has a bit more back pressure'. By the end of the day there isn't a huge difference betwen them quality wise, it's the little tonal differences that make them more or less suitable for a specific occasion maybe but I found all the ones I had perfectly playable and well behaved. Interestingly the old Feadog which I didn't care for very much turned out one of the sweetest of the batch after it's head was transplanted to a gen tube.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Peter Laban wrote: Interestingly the old Feadog which I didn't care for very much turned out one of the sweetest of the batch after it's head was transplanted to a gen tube.
I have a Feadog that I really couldn't stand; the sound just seemed kind of muddy. I dropped an Oak and broke the mouthpiece, so tried the Feadog head on the Oak shaft. It's a wonderful whistle; has that husky sound that someone mentioned earlier in the thread, but is somewhat clearer than it was with the original shaft.
peeplj wrote: I voted Oak; however, I think any whistle players collection oughta include at least one if not several of each of the whistles in your poll.
I dunno. . . I think everyone should try all of them if possible. I've tried them all and owned most, but I simply really don't like some. I've given away a bunch of whistles (after having them for a sufficiently long time to learn all of their idiosyncrasies), figuring they deserved to be owned by someone who would play and appreciate them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Walden wrote:
LeeMarsh wrote:If you list Susato, isn't Dixon in the same price range? I'd vote for dixon.
At the Whistle Shop, the Susato D runs $14.50, whereas the Dixon D runs $19, putting it over the price I considered inexpensive.
Sheesh, what a cheepskate! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Doc
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Cees
But, Jerry! That's beside the point. The real issue is that Cran said "even Jerry Freeman couldn't tweak it." This may become the next new phrase in whistledom to describe the absolute worst whistles!!! AND, besides Cran coining a new phrase , it also implies that you are the world's best tweaker!!
Yes, my thoughts exactly! :lol:

P.S. Why has nobody voted for the LBW?

P.P.S. Why wasn't the $1 Cooperman included in this poll? ;-)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:P.P.S. Why wasn't the $1 Cooperman included in this poll? ;-)
It was one I knocked off because of the poll option limit. I didn't figure it'd be getting any votes anyway, except maybe a pity vote after that scathing review in the recent C&F newsletter!
Reasonable person
Walden
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Walden wrote:
LeeMarsh wrote:If you list Susato, isn't Dixon in the same price range? I'd vote for dixon.
At the Whistle Shop, the Susato D runs $14.50, whereas the Dixon D runs $19, putting it over the price I considered inexpensive.
Except in UK (most of Europe) The Susatos are 17 euros, and the Dixons are 12 including 1.75 VAT tax.

I understand you had to draw the line somewhere.

Perhaps we can have a catagory later of Almost in-expensive.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Cranberry wrote:P.S. Why has nobody voted for the LBW?
Probably because they tend to be quite horribly out of tune with themselves. At least, the one I own and the two or three others I've had the "opportunity" to play all were. Even I wince when hearing one, and I've got a tin ear :)

They do have very nice timbre, though, making it even more of a shame about the tuning. Actually, a LBW head on a Feadog (and probably a generation or Oak) body makes a very good whistle.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I second that!

Susatos are okay (my first whistles), but they're not as easy as the Dixons.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Generations IMHO, can't be beat.(If you get a good one)

I agree with the almost inexpensive vote for Dixon.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West