OT: Return of the King

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Treasach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Return of the King

Post by Treasach »

Hello to all!!
I went to the Tuesday showing of all three LOTR movies in a row.
I was there about 12 hours all together. (2:30pm to 2:30 am)
The Return of the King was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Matter of fact I'm going back to see it again today!
When you got there they gave you this type of ID badge, So you could come and go as you please.
They gave you 45 mins between movies.
You could bring any kind of food into the theater that you wanted.
They gave you free refills on the large popcorn & drink all night long.
Between the 2nd & 3rd movies they gave out free pizza.
Best of all, everyone who stayed for all three movies.
They gave out this item that looked alot like a grave stone.(you can set it on your desk type thing).
Inside it was three film cells from the movies, one from each of the three films.
There was a guy from Newline there to give them out!
I went to the showing in Nashville,TN.
Half of the people were from out of state, some as far away as Sweden.
If you liked the first two you will love ROTK.
I give it 10 rings!
Treasach
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Man! I avoided drinking anything before going to see the other ones (a year apart) and I still had to pee before the end. How did you do it?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
morgan

Post by morgan »

My wife and I dehydrated ourselves before seeing the film and managed to stay for all 3 1/2 hours. Fantastic film--probably the finest I have ever seen. Audience members were audibly in tears at several points. Better still, there are a couple of nice pennywhistle moments. What more could one ask of a film?
Fopah

Post by Fopah »

Geeze,, 12 hrs,,, im not that active of a person, but even I couldnt sit for 12 hrs.. Though i did go to the 12:01 showing with some friends from school, that was great. I was expecting Shelob to look really stupid (how can you make a giant spider look good) but they did an awsome job. although at the begining I though smeagol seemed a little to,,, crazy before he even had the ring,,, i always pictured him as normal,, and going crazy after being very unsocial for 900+ yrs.

Michael
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I saw ROTK this afternoon (and my bladder cooperated). It is a wonderful movie, probably the best of the three. The whistle passages were nicely done, with tasteful amount of vibrato.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

return of the king?

i thought elvis had long left the building.
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

I don't know . . . I love the books and after seeing the other two movies a couple times I've grown to like them too, but this one just seemed to be missing something. It was just battle, battle, battle, and much of the endearing personal stuff that happens inbetween the battles that makes you care about the characters was cut out. I was actually a little bored in some places. Maybe just because I knew (or thought I knew) what was coming. Everything ended the way it was supposed to, but there definitely should have been more of a payoff on the Saruman and Faramir/Ewoyn storylines. Of course, it was still a great movie. I'll go see it again in a few days--hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it for what it is, not fault it for what it isn't. Maybe I'll like the extended edition better. Eleven months and counting . . . <sigh>

SwtCaro
Seth

Post by Seth »

I agree that this movie missed some of the personal interactions like Merry's friendship with Theoden, and Pippin's friendship with one of the guards (I forget his name). I completely accept this though, since Peter Jackson was doing this within the confines of a movie. I also thought that this was the best of the three films. For those Tolkein purists, you'll be comforted to know that Jackson takes the least ammount of liberties in this movie. A lot of things left out, but not much was invented.

The Mount Doom scene had to be my favorite of the entire trilogy. It was done exactly how I imagined it. I think I'll see the movie again before the weekend is out.

Seth
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

tomcat wrote:return of the king?

i thought elvis had long left the building.
Me too. But I thought this was going to be news of the long-awaited reincarnation.

Now when people tell you that if you don't want to read about blah blah blah, don't open the thread, they obviously were forgetting thread-titles like this one.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

So this thread isn't about eschatology?
Reasonable person
Walden
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I always bring a giant cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee to a LOTR movie. Haven't you guys ever heard of a NYC cabbie catheter?
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I loved this movie, like others they did not fill in much with Eowyn/Faramir and the war that was suppose to happen in the shire with Saruman, but as it already was, the ending was very long. there were many times peter jackson could have ended the film being a movie (those who had not read the books would be satisfied), but it would leave out about 100 pages in the book (those who read the books would be upset with where there seemed to be a natural break, frodo and sam on the rock mt. doom). All in all I think Peter Jackson made some wise decisions as to where to cut and where to impress.

Go see this movie, it is spellbinding and the best of the three.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

michael_coleman wrote:Go see this movie, it is spellbinding and the best of the three.
okay, i'll go see the movie . . . but per walden's post, i'll be looking for all kinds of eschatological signs as well as some good ole rock n roll.......
Last edited by tomcat on Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

A good movie to be sure - though as has bene mentioned...a LOT was still left out or changed. I'm not sure if I'll see it again in the theatre, or just wait for the more complete DVD version in a few months. Oh by the way, I didn't stay for all the end credits. Did anyone happen to see any disclaimers about: "No Oliphants were harmed in the making of this film"? If I was an oliphant, I'd be seriously talking to my manager about what kind of crap roles he got me cast in!!! :lol:
Henke

Post by Henke »

ROTK was brilliant, I loved it. I didn't come around posting till now but I saw it the 16th. It was great. A nice thing was that I sat with 2 hobbits, 3 elves, 2 orcs, a Nazgul (all in the same company) and 3 vikings (dressed as vikings just because there are'nt any in the movie), they were larpers of course. A lot was left out, Saruman wasn't in the movie at all for example, but that will all be corrected for the extended one. There is a limit to how long you can make a movie that will go up on cinemas. All people with the slightest interest are supposed to be able to go. Guy's that are not that interested won't sit in a theater for 4.30hours to see a film. The extended ones are for those that are interested enough to do so. I think mr. Jackson and all the others have done a GREAT, GREAT job. I can't say which film I liked the best, cause for me they are all the same film. They are so connected that I can't give them an individuall rating like that. The trilogy however is for me the best thing I have ever seen on screen. It's not as good as the books ofcourse, but then, a film could never be as good as a great book.