What do you use other keys for?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What do you use other keys for?

Post by jen f »

When I first started buying whistles, I thought I wanted several different keys, but then I came to notice that everything I want to play can be played on a D whistle. I've been learning a lot of reels, jigs, polkas, etc. so I can play in a local session. So far, I haven't encountered anything that needs a different key whistle.

So, what does everyone play on all those E-flats, B-flats, low Fs, etc.?
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: What do you use other keys for?

Post by Walden »

jen f wrote:When I first started buying whistles, I thought I wanted several different keys, but then I came to notice that everything I want to play can be played on a D whistle. I've been learning a lot of reels, jigs, polkas, etc. so I can play in a local session. So far, I haven't encountered anything that needs a different key whistle.

That's right. It all can be played on the one whistle. The other keys are needed when you want to play with other instruments or with someone singing, or if you just want a higher or lower voice of instrument.
Reasonable person
Walden
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

The biggest reason for needing other keys is when you need to accompany vocalists.

I find it *very* rare when I can use a D whistle with a vocalist.

With men, most common: A, C and G
With women, most common: F and G

Aside from that, some tunes, especially airs, sound good in other keys. I get a lot of use from my F whistle.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Well after 3 years experience playing out in the world with others, the only time I need the Bflat is when there is a Highland pipe player to
play with. I have used the C when playing with a singer who needs a
different key to sing in. The low D is wonderful cause you can play an octave lower than anyone else and its sounds sooooo cool. The other
keys are for playing with other instruments who are tuned to those
keys. I have a whole bunch of them, but hardly ever play them either.
They sound lower so are fun to play by yourself tho!
Lolly
FireFighterLT

Post by FireFighterLT »

I just bought a Generation "F" cause I felt like playing in a higher octave. Some of the tunes I can play sound differant and its a nice change. I have never played with anybody else or any other instruments I just kinda like the differant sound.
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Here's an example of why you need almost every key (and brand) of whistle known to the western world:

If, for example, the song is in C, and the starting and/or ending note is a C, which, in most cases puts your C whistle at its lowest and softest register, then you might want to play the song on a low F whistle, providing you can transpose or play by ear, which puts the song in the middle of that particular whistle's register, which is better because now you will be heard.

JP
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i only play in D and G because my hands feel most comfortable on those whistles.
if i come across a tune in another key, i just put it into D or G with roni's slowdowner.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

One thing I always wondered about session-style ITM is how come everything is played in unisson (or octaved same thing), while I can't see why G (or A) couldn't back D tunes, and C (or D) G tunes, even if it's tutti rather than polyphony.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
meir

Post by meir »

the low d just sounds amazing. the bass whistle lower than low d are basically for stretching your fingers so much that the low d starts to feel easy. the c below high d is for playing along with pipers who have a c set and recordings of those pipers. the b flat is for playing along with pipers. the b natural (a rare key but i am getting one) is for playing with pipers who have a b set, quite common among dedicated up players. the a is for playing along with smallpipes. the g is just a common key, works for vocalists, and has d as a secondary k. i can't justify the low f and e flat yet, but i am working on it.

personally, the high d is my least favorite. it sounds shrill to me, probably because i am not the best player. it is however, sort of a universal key, and much easier to play than the low d.

meir
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My band plays in lot of different keys. Keys have a 'feel' to them, and a variety adds spice to our performances. Having whistles for the dulcimer-friendly keys is a necessity for me...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Church...

Funny enough, I have Bb and Eb and never play them anywhere, because my church band plays mostly in E related keys... (E, B, F#m, some C#m), some A and G#minor too, and even occasionally in D and G. Sometimes it even gets to F, but that is rare.

The most fun though is trying to play trumpet with those keys. (Trumpets are Bb instruments which means that we play music written a tone above "concert pitch". ie what the guitars play. So for E = F#, B = C# (or Db), A = B, F#m = G#m, D = E, G = A, Em = F#m, etc. Those are HARD)
cj

Post by cj »

I have them just because I like them and the way each one sounds. The Bb, A, and G alto keys just sound lovely to me. A and G are also versatile because guitarists play in that key a lot (On the rare occasions I play whistle with others, it's usually not ITM--no reason other than my musical friends aren't into ITM). These keys are a nice change from the shrill sound of the higher keys. I haven't mastered anything lower than that yet but hope to someday.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

jen f wrote:When I first started buying whistles, I thought I wanted several different keys, but then I came to notice that everything I want to play can be played on a D whistle. I've been learning a lot of reels, jigs, polkas, etc. so I can play in a local session. So far, I haven't encountered anything that needs a different key whistle.

You're right, in a (typical Irish) session a D whistle is really all you need. However a C whistle is useful for tunes in keys such as G "minor" and D "minor" which are quite common in the Irish repertoire, at least when there are fiddles in the immediate environment. Explanation at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... ml#ddorian.

Most useful whistle for playing with highland pipes is actually an Eb whistle.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've read that section of Brother Steve's site before but never understood it. Here's what it says:

"Grab a whistle in the key of C and play the tune as though it were pitched a tone higher. For example, the tune Julia Delaney is said to be in "D minor" (actually it's not in a true minor key, but in the "dorian mode", and has the sixth degree missing to boot). Take your C whistle and learn the tune as though you were playing it in E "minor" (i.e. as if you were playing in E minor on a D whistle). You can now play along in the session. Tunes such as Eileen Curran and Dowd's favourite that are in "G minor" (actually G-dorian) can easily be played on a C whistle - just imagine you are playing them in in A on a D whistle."

How would you play "as though you were playing it in E minor" or in A on a D whistle? Could someone explain this? :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:

Thanks!
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Boo wrote:How would you play "as though you were playing it in E minor" or in A on a D whistle? Could someone explain this? :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Forget the fact that the whistle is in C. Pretend it's a D whistle and that you're playing in E minor. Does this help?