FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jking
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

for what its worth

Post by jking »

I agree it is nice to see a parent actually involved with a childs well being but i just never thought we would poss need to rate the board like an adult movie. Maybe i just remember back in the good old days when it was more of a family atmosphere in more way than one. Who expects to come here and read about religion, abortion sexual preferences etc.
Can i suggest a seperate board on this site "ADULT OT COMMUNITY" (or whatever those in power wish to call it) on which all sorts of issues can be posted and debated, issues that have nothing to do with whistles. I mean this seriously, looks to me like an obvious step.
p.s im not saying i want this board censored to the hilt either but lets label things as they are so those interested in whistle can read about just that.
Last edited by jking on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I wasn't talking about GC Cran.

Forget I said anything.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
madguy

Post by madguy »

TelegramSam wrote:I wasn't talking about GC Cran.

Forget I said anything.
Telling Cran to forget you said something is like saying the sun doesn't rise in the morning! :D

~Larry
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: for what its worth

Post by Wombat »

jking wrote: Can i suggest a seperate board on this site "ADULT OT COMMUNITY" (or whatever those in power wish to call it) on which all sorts of issues can be posted and debated, issues that have nothing to do with whistles.
Now if you label a board ADULT, guess where the underage kids are going to be headed first.

There is almost nothing on this board that would be likely to offend that even a protected teenager wouldn't already know about, whether topics or vocabulary. The only things I can think of that might shock or surprise a teenager are coded to the point where most of the adults here don't pick them up. And no, I'm not going to give you examples. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Just curious how many folks have looked over their teens' shoulders and read some of the blogs posted by their buddies. And these are relatively squeaky clean band kids. Or the little 11-12 year old punkaloids I carpool to my youngest's school once a week...trust me that these guys know the words, and only the most protected don't hear them in every dvd they rent. Still and all...I'd be bored here if I were 11, but he could still pose questions and get respectful answers I would think.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Oh great, now someone wants us to go PC. I can just picture the next session down at the pub. Everyone sitting around drinking lemonade and whispering victorian stories while trying to civilize the melodies and change the words so as not to offend. PA lease////////////////// give me a break. First of all I like swearing in print. It is easy to spell and there are times when gutter language is all that will due. I have always liked the quote by Charles Barkley when asked by some reporter about the sutability of his behavior as a role model. His answer was I ain`t no role model I`m a basketball player, or words to that effect. I suppose there is no way to make it through life with out someone stepping on our sensibilities from time to time but #$@# thats what makes life interesting. Do we also keep our 11 year old from watching the news. Should we not let them know that other 11 year olds get killed everyday because adults find that there is an exceptable level of "colateral damage" or that there are 11 year olds brandishing AK-47`s and fighting for there lives instead of fighting for the controll pad of the latest intendo game. Let get real. If a mum wants to shield her child from reality or adult behavior well thats fine with me but don`t ask me to change who I am or the way I comunicate or deprive me of the right to disern the stile of behavior of my friends and fellow music lovers. We share not only our music here but our lives and I like that. Yes we have our little fights now and then and I like that too. What is wrong with a site that is so unique and magical. Oh I know; its just not PC. I say bull$#%$#
In my humble opinion that is :D

Tom
TomB

Post by TomB »

Blackbeer wrote:I have always liked the quote by Charles Barkley when asked by some reporter about the sutability of his behavior as a role model. His answer was I ain`t no role model I`m a basketball player, or words to that effectTom
Gee, given the multitude of ways that our professional athletes seem to find for getting into trouble now, Charles Barkley could probably be held out as a role model. The things he did seem so tame now.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Honestly is there no other way to describe a whistle than by swearing about it? Now if you were talking about uilleann pipes, that's another thing altogether.

But in seriousness, there are others who read the board, and the board is a direct reflection on Dale and Rich who's computers host the board has mentioned before what is appropriate and what isn't. I don't recall specifics but all it would take would be one of the administrators looking over the board on his end and saying it wasn't suitable for their server. Then everyone is instantly homeless.

This isn't about everyone's right to free speech. It is about respecting those who have been kind enough to let us into THEIR 'home' as it is theirs after all and not ours. Perhaps Gaelic Crossings is the better venue for that sort of thing as it is privately owned.

I for one have of course been known to spout off with some pretty off color words and coments in the past, but were I to visit Dale's home I certainly wouldn't issue forth a string of profanity as I walked into his front room. I think we can all act civily and in a respectful manner to each other with just the smallest bit of effort. I would think we all owe Dale that courtesy at least, to say nothing of each other.

Best,

B~
Whistle_along_Cassidy

!4

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

I'm only 14 and i see nothing wrong with this board, i have seen the word ass and that is it. Trust me i get 100 times worse stuff at school. Maybe the boys mother should rethink, instead of looking at the negative look at all the positive things her son could asbord here.
Andrew Cassidy
As for Cran and Sam, I love you all, but you are all F@#$ing mad, just chill out and spread the love.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I am reluctant to wade into these waters, but would like to offer my opinion. I think that swearing verbally or using course language usually indicates a lack of discipline and sometimes a lack of respect for the person hearing the words. I also think that swearing in writing where one has the opportunity to consider his or her words more carefully certainly shows both a lack of discipline and a lack of respect for the reader.

I am new to whistling and to this forum. I have learned much for which I am grateful, and I usually don't read or post to off topic threads. (Some should be labeled off color rather than off topic.) However, if one of my young grandchildren were to take an interest in whistles, I would certainly not recommend this site as an information source.

Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I don't agree with swear words being used on this forum, and I have never used them here, but I think there are ways to express oneself, even if angry, that get the point across without such words. That said, it is a community of people and I have certainly learned my lesson about being angry in public...it's not a good idea. But it's not supposed to be Sesame Street, either. I love the fact that people talk about life issues on the forum. I care a great deal about many of the people here and I think much would be lost if we talked about only whistles. But yeah, feel stuff and get heated, even, but think about the words you are putting out there to last forever. Post so that your only edits are to fix typos, instead of to cover up tirades. Call people on bad behavior, but in a civil way. I know I used to be the first to get heated (though I didn't use bad words), and I feel so much better now that I don't do that anymore.
~JessieD
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What the rec***er?

Yeah, television has become about like what Jim described on the sites with the "bots." They use filthy language, and obscene gestures, on purpose, and ostensibly censor it, according to FCC policy, but it still has almost as much effect as if they'd outright said it.

I quoted lyrics by a man named Henry Van Dyke, on another forum, and that was censored. What I had to do was use creative spacing, for the credit to show up.
Reasonable person
Walden
jking

Post by jking »

Blackbeer wrote:Oh great, now someone wants us to go PC. I can just picture the next session down at the pub. Everyone sitting around drinking lemonade and whispering victorian stories while trying to civilize the melodies and change the words so as not to offend. PA lease////////////////// give me a break. First of all I like swearing in print. It is easy to spell and there are times when gutter language is all that will due. I have always liked the quote by Charles Barkley when asked by some reporter about the sutability of his behavior as a role model. His answer was I ain`t no role model I`m a basketball player, or words to that effect. I suppose there is no way to make it through life with out someone stepping on our sensibilities from time to time but #$@# thats what makes life interesting. Do we also keep our 11 year old from watching the news. Should we not let them know that other 11 year olds get killed everyday because adults find that there is an exceptable level of "colateral damage" or that there are 11 year olds brandishing AK-47`s and fighting for there lives instead of fighting for the controll pad of the latest intendo game. Let get real. If a mum wants to shield her child from reality or adult behavior well thats fine with me but don`t ask me to change who I am or the way I comunicate or deprive me of the right to disern the stile of behavior of my friends and fellow music lovers. We share not only our music here but our lives and I like that. Yes we have our little fights now and then and I like that too. What is wrong with a site that is so unique and magical. Oh I know; its just not PC. I say bull$#%$#
In my humble opinion that is :D

Tom
Tom do you have kids.......? We have a three year old boy and i tell you im learning every day regarding parenting issues. As a parent i try to lead by example (trust me even a three year old catches on to things extremely quickly.) Would i ever sit my son down even at age eleven and "catch him up to speed" on all the bad things going on in the world, NO. I believe that parents should be held somewhat accountable for the childrens actions. We can teach them manners, respect and tolerance for others but also to value their own opinion and beliefs at the same time. Before anyone jumps to conclusions no im not religious, we dont go to church etc (no disrespect to anyone) and yes in the right company i can swear with the best of them. Why do kids start shooting guns, shooting up, having sex etc at an earlier age every new generation????I believe in part due to that very same attitude. "They're going to see it an hear it or do it anyway so why bother. :)
StewySmoot

Re: FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

Post by StewySmoot »

jking wrote:I felt it valuable to share this with other members on this board. Recently a co-worker approached me saying her nephew had just taken up the whistle and did i have any information on it that would be of use to him. Now im not a regular poster here but i do read the odd review to see whats new in the world of whistles or to trade them etc. I must say that its been a little while since ive sat down and just read threads. Anyhow I recommended the whistle board to her in an instant and she said she would pass it on to him. I asked her today if he ever had any luck with the board and to summarize this is what i was told. "Being only 11 years old his mum kind of checks the sites,chatrooms and msg boards that he goes to. After reading through the threads his mum determined that she didnt really want him getting involved in some of the banter that goes on and the swearing (ex words disguised like:f...ing etc i mean come on kids arent dumb, might as well just say the word.) was not acceptable to her as a parent". Needless to say she would not let him get involved.
Definately something to think about.

After having read the replies, it is something to think about. Thanks...
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Whistle_along_Cassidy
As for Cran and Sam, I love you all, but you are all F@#$ing mad, just chill out and spread the love.
Believe it or not, Sam and I are actually (f@#$ing mad) friends. :P