ANNOUNCE: Serpent is gone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

You're telling me!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

jim stone wrote:But I have to go to the bathroom.
You can wait, Jimmy, for five minutes. Now, head down and no talking, or you'll get another five.

:moreevil:

That's Mrs. Robin to you!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:Boys and Girls:

It's time for you all to go to your desks and sit with your heads down for five minutes! No talking, no looking up! Anybody that tries anything will be sent to the principals office! Go now, get started, the clock is ticking....

Robin

:roll:
Sorry, but why? What is going on here is the chiff & fipple community defining itself and establishing informal rules and desired tone. It's an important and necessary thing to happen (and it has been pretty pleasant and low-key in this thread).

peeplj wrote:Week, I sent no barbed comments your way...at least none I'm aware of.

If you'd like to discuss this please PM me.

--James
This raises the larger issue of how the Chiff & Fipple community reacts to pleople who say or hint at unpleasant things or make "negative" comments.
/Bloomfield
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Bloomfield wrote:
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:Boys and Girls:

It's time for you all to go to your desks and sit with your heads down for five minutes! No talking, no looking up! Anybody that tries anything will be sent to the principals office! Go now, get started, the clock is ticking....

Robin

:roll:
Sorry, but why? What is going on here is the chiff & fipple community defining itself and establishing informal rules and desired tone. It's an important and necessary thing to happen (and it has been pretty pleasant and low-key in this thread).

peeplj wrote:Week, I sent no barbed comments your way...at least none I'm aware of.

If you'd like to discuss this please PM me.

--James
This raises the larger issue of how the Chiff & Fipple community reacts to pleople who say or hint at unpleasant things or make "negative" comments.

All the more reason to have a forum for whistle interests and a separate forum for those who reside here. That I have seen is also part of the maturation of a common internet community.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I thought this was the forum for whistle interests.

--James
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Thanks, Kiirsi. :)

For those interested, here is a link to the review I had done a long time ago of Bill's prototype. I edited it today ONLY to reflect the changes in the images hosting site. I changed nothing but that.

I tried one of Bill's for-sale whistles in a shop in Ireland. Although improved cosmetically, there was no difference in playability from when I did the review.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=73557
~JessieD
susnfx

Re: Serpent's Departure

Post by susnfx »

Alan wrote:As far as I know, Serpent left C&F because of what he considered a restrictive commercial posting policy under which he constantly chafed.
Alan's post seems to have been lost in the melee. I don't see a lot of sense in continuing to speculate as to why Serpent left or who said what that might have driven him off.

Susan
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Interesting comments from Bill on pages 4 and 5 of this thread on Gaelic Crossings.

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... c&start=45

Things like: "I think Dale was about at the end of his tether with all the pissing and moaning over on C&F, so he picked a new moderator. The less said about my first encounter with him, the better." should give most of us pause I would think. Needless to say, it only solidifies my thoughts that if a maker has more time to berate his benefactors and flog his commercial supporters than make good quality whistles, I won't be buying from him. Sad really. One always hope to find as good an instrument as the heart of the man who makes it. Interesting too - I know many makers who create for the happiness they get from creation. There are of course others who do it strictly for profit. Then there seems to be those in the middle who really are in it for profit (either monetary or personal recognition) and use the guise of "I just do this cause I love doing it!"

Bill I'm not certain what motivates you to make whistles, but you must know that these issues are costing you dearly in terms of potential new customers. Whatever your decisions, I hope they proove right for you.

Best to all.

B~
Bloomfield

Re: Serpent's Departure

Post by Bloomfield »

Alan wrote:As far as I know, Serpent left C&F because of what he considered a restrictive commercial posting policy under which he constantly chafed.
Serpent on Gaelic Crossing wrote:I think Dale was about at the end of his tether with all the pissing and moaning over on C&F, so he picked a new moderator. The less said about my first encounter with him, the better.
I think Alan is strong silent type. And some believe that there is no strength in sleep... :roll:
/Bloomfield
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

One always hope to find as good an instrument as the heart of the man who makes it. Interesting too - I know many makers who create for the happiness they get from creation. There are of course others who do it strictly for profit. Then there seems to be those in the middle who really are in it for profit (either monetary or personal recognition) and use the guise of "I just do this cause I love doing it!"

B~[/quote]
It
An't only blokes that make whistles :x and if it was not for lots of makers slaving away makin whistles :P ingrates like yourself would no have a whistle to play, that alone too moan aboot :roll:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

My wife is the prettiest. Though I haven't met Mrs. Bloomfield (if such a person exists) yet.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:An't only blokes that make whistles :x and if it was not for lots of makers slaving away makin whistles :P ingrates like yourself would no have a whistle to play, that alone too moan aboot :roll:
Stacy,

I've never been ingrateful to ANY maker who's whistles I play. You would be correct in assuming I do NOT currently play an Alba. You would also be correct in assuming I will NEVER play an Alba. I prefer makers who also value their customers as much as their craft. They kinda go hand in hand when you think about it. Something I'd suggest trying soon.

Oh, just in case it was somehow overlooked the first time: ...if a maker has more time to berate his benefactors and flog his commercial supporters than make good quality whistles, I won't be buying from him. ...or her, or whomever it happens to be.

Great fortune cookie saying I read once: "Runner who shoot himself in foot have hard time finish marathon." Even LESS of a chance if you shoot at the other runners. They'll all want you off the track at the least - if not even worse...

B~
Last edited by Brian Lee on Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jim_mc wrote:My wife is the prettiest. Though I haven't met Mrs. Bloomfield (if such a person exists) yet.
Of course my mother exists. Perhaps she used to be pretty, but what really counts is health, and my mother is healthy & well. At least, I think she is... Haven't seen her much since we put her in that home 30 years ago.
BrianLee wrote: Stacy,

I've never been ingrateful to ANY maker who's whistles I play. You would be correct in assuming I do NOT currently play an Alba. You would also be correct in assuming I will NEVER play an Alba. I prefer makers who also value their customers as much as their craft. They kinda go hand in hand when you think about it. Something I'd suggest trying soon.

Best

B~
Oh, do come off it, Brian.
/Bloomfield
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Funny thing Bloo - most of us in consumer society won't buy from someone who insults us. Most of us anyway... :roll:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

*walks into thread carrying 30 pounds of dynamite and puts it right in the center*

*walks far far away*

*grabs a crossbow and an oil soaked arrow*

*lights it*

*shoots*

*enjoys the fireworks and the sound of dozens of voices screaming in unison*

Ah, that felt good.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>