Review: Casey Burns Beginner's Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Review: Casey Burns Beginner's Flute

Post by jim stone »

Here's a review of the new Casey Burns beginner's flute, which sells for 250 dollars. A couple of weeks ago I asked on the fluteboard if anybody could review it. Immediately Casey asked me to review it and sent me one to keep. I've checked my opinions with others, including an excellent flutist, to be sure that I'm uninfluenced by gratitude. My chief credential is that I'm as close to a beginner as someone could be who might write an informed review, having played flute for about a year. Also I own most of the other beginner's flutes, including a Dixon three-piece polymer and a Sweetheart maple, both of which I like very well. I'm writing this review with beginners in mind.

The flute is made of mopane, which looks good and has a warm, rich, woody sound. The flute is made simply and in two pieces, with good craftsmanship throughout. It's entirely made of wood,
except that the tenon is thread wrapped. It has the weight and heft of an expensive blackwood flute (it's about as heavy as the Dixon), along with the look of something made well and simply of a brown wood with a flowing grain.

Two features are especially notable. First the flute sounds warm, full, and woody in both octaves, with good volume. It's easy to play and it goes easily into the second octave. It's well in tune. There is a strong low D. One can press on the flute, get a 'dirty' or 'hard' sound; it plays like an Irish flute. The sound compares favorably with anything in its price range.

Second, the finger spacing is significantly closer than on the Dixon and the Sweetheart, especially for the right hand. Beginners nervous about the hand stretch on an Irish flute will find this welcome. Also, the G hole on the left hand is rotated slightly outward. Casey is very good at making flutes people can play, and this will be a blessing for many beginners. The flute is uncommonly comfortable in a way that facilitates playing it fast.

Casey points out on his website that this flute isn't meant as a replacement for a performance-level flute. I've compared it to his 450 dollar mopane flute. The beginner's flute sounds less good, but it's a close second. Mopane isn't blackwood, to my ear; I prefer the latter--though mopane flutes are fine. But taken for what it is, the beginner's flute is remarkable. Here is a good looking, strong sounding, easy playing and handling wooden Irish flute for 250 dollars. A great idea, well executed, and worth more than its price.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Jim: Very convincing review! I'm tempted to order one just to try it out myself....

Mary
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Thanks, Jim, for the review. I ordered one last Friday (along with a copy of the new Larsen book), and this just reinforces my decision.

Best,

Tim
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I ordered one from Casey based upon this review Jim. I needed to replace my Hall flute, which is nice but not what I am looking for. Now that I can play the Hall with some fluency, it should not be overwhelming to play Casey's Folk Flute I hope. Thank's for the review, Jim, I have long appreciated the integrity of your posts and so have placed some trust in your opinion.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you....much appreciated.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Funny, I just played one of those Thursday at my flute lesson (my tutor's testing them for Casey, too). I thought it was a really good value for the price, and a nice flute to start out on. Very forgiving so it's immediately gratifying, but you can still push it somewhat as you advance.

(and much easier to play than the Pakistani stick I described in my other post :-) )

I also played the Bb version in mopane. I think it costs more. Very interesting blowhole treatment.

All in all, for a starter flute I'd take it over a polymer any day, esp. for $250.

cat.
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I have to admit buying one of those Pakistani "flutes" when I was too new to C&F to listen to those who knew. I'm thinking of using it as firewood.
I felt so stupid about five minutes after I opened the box. :moreevil:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Casey's website address is www.caseyburnsflutes.com.

The Bb flute that I bought from Casey has a blackwood
top and a mopane bottom, and costs 650.
This is a good flute, especially for the price.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Celtoid, I too have one of those, purchased long before I even knew C&F existed (maybe even before C&F existed, period). The case isn't bad, though .... ;-) No, seriously, I had to play it for about a month last summer when my "good flute" was in for repair, and I have to say it was actually very instructive. Even did a couple of gigs on it, and it certainly made me better on said "good flute" ... so I still play it every now and again, if nothing else to stretch my hands.

Jim, does your blackwood-head Bb have that three-way wind channel or whatever on the blowhole? Just curious as to your impressions ....

All best,
cat.
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

My Pakistani flute did not come with a case at all and is virtually unplayable.
There is no way you could do a gig on this one unless you were twirling it above your head and juggling it with a couple of similarly-playable solid sticks in a parade.

So I bought a Hall crystal flute because, well, I'm strange. Plus I din't know if I would like playing the flute. Turns out i LOVE playing the flute so much that my collection of pennywhistles high and low are not getting any practice. The Hall was tough to get started but I kept with it and now I can make sounds that please my ears (most of the time). But something is missing from the sound, or maybe the instrument is too cute (and shows all the moisture...yuck) so I have been looking around.

Since i am still a beginner at the flute with about a year into the instrument, a beginner's flute would seem appropriate. And while $250 may not seem like much money for a nice flute, it is still a stretch on my budget. But it will be worth doing if it allows me to enjoy playing that much more, and it won't look as dainty as the Hall. (I have nothing against the Hall, but want to go for a more trad feel , sound, and well, look too. :)

By the way, Casey Burns should be commended for his rapid response to emails. :) Now I seriously can't wait to play it and each day that goes by will be a long one. (Geez, I know...get a life) I was even a poor playing partner to my Hall today, because of anticipating its replacement. I guess everybody has been through this more than once.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, you bet we have, Celtoid. And still do. Meanwhile ..... I predict you're about to become a much happier flute player :-)

Good luck, and don't give up!
cat.
Sam_T
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sam_T »

Just to second (third? fourth?) the opinions above, I received my Casey Burns beginner flute last week. I am a real flute novice - this is my first "proper" flute - but I've been playing whistles, low whistles and pipes for a while.

Anyway, given that I've got no sort of decent embouchure yet, I'm already amazed at the sounds I can get from it. It has a really lovely, woody basic sound, and it's easy to adjust the tone to be reedier or mellower. Very well made too - everyone has commented on how pretty it looks!

As I say, I haven't got much to compare it with, but then I guess as a beginner I'm Casey's "target audience" and I'm very impressed so far..

Sam
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I will also post first impressions after my flute comes in. Likewise I have been at whistles for a few years years and with the flute for only a year.
Of course now I just can't wait. Who cares about Christmas when a flute is on the way.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Celtoid wrote:I will also post first impressions after my flute comes in. Likewise I have been at whistles for a few years years and with the flute for only a year.
Of course now I just can't wait. Who cares about Christmas when a flute is on the way.
Have you received your flute yet? Mine, well "Renee's" is due today ( maybe tomorrow :cry: who knows with the PO). OK, so I am an impatient waiter. So fire me. :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Mine just came today after being shipped last Wednesday - Priority Mail USPS. It's a beautiful instrument.