Breathy Vs. Clarity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FireFighterLT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Breathy Vs. Clarity

Post by FireFighterLT »

Yea yea, I know. I have been posting a lot the last day or so for a lurker. Ok:

1) Do you prefer breathier tone over a clearer crisper tone and why? :-?

2) What type of whistle produces a crisp clear tone?
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I do not like the "breathy" whistle sound.

My Burke Brass Pro Sessions is pretty crisp.(also my favorite whistle)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I don't mind a breathy-sounding whistle as long as someone else is playing it, but I prefer the crisp, clear tone and response of my Burkes. Breathy whistles are often so low in volume that they are unsuitable for playing in a group and they may take more air (unless you get a Freeman tweaked version).
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I think Sindt Whistles are crisp and clean too. Almost a "pop" of a note sometimes.
serpent

An opinion from a maker

Post by serpent »

I make both sorts of whistles - breathy and pure. Personally, I prefer the breathy, as they sound more "whistle-y" to me. The ones I call "pure" sound more like a rec**der. That's my opinion. From a purely technical standpoint, I would point people at a dB meter to decide which is louder. Subjective impressions have too many variables involved to be valid. One whistle I make is breathy, has a volume that will cut right through fiddle and bodhran alike, and will reach threshold of pain in the upper reaches of its range, but takes no more air than an average whistle in a like key.

It's really hard to generalize about these things. Best to get a whistle on approval (if the maker allows it), and try it out in a typical playing situation for you. That's the best way to choose.

Cheers, Happy Holidays! :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I prefer a clear sound. My main complaint with breathy whistles is that they generally use more of the player's breath to produce the same amount of sound. I don't mind the sound (if they're breathy within reason), I just find them more difficult to play.

Some of the clearer-sounding whistles are Burke Pros, Weasels, and Rose. Of the less-expensive makes, Oaks are pretty pure, as long as you can keep yours from buzzing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like having both kinds of whistles available to me.

The whistles with the breathier sounds are just fantastic for laying down a reel or jig because these are usually the whistles you can lean into and really punch. Also these tend to blend better with flutes and whistles, IMHO.

The purer sounding whistles also have their place, and can also usually be played aggressively as well, though in a different way than the other kind. Rather than blending, these whistles tend to "float above" the melody...which is also cool.

I wouldn't want to have to give up either kind.

--James
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I like both too, although I'm not sure whether you mean by breathy 'overtone rich', which I like, or just 'unfocussed', which I don't like. I like to layer whistles, obviously not in ITM contexts, and I find whistles like Overton, Copeland and Grinter work wonderfully well for this. I also like to combine an overtone rich whistle with a pure whistle—say, a Copeland with a Burke.
Whistle_along_Cassidy

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Ditto to what peeplj said. I generally play a sindt and like burkes, but dont own one. Clarkes are wonderful too. Its all relavent.
Andrew Cassidy
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

For a long time, I would have said "pure". Then I got a couple of Serpent's Polly whistles (an original, and a Brassy Polly). Very breathy whistles, like a Clarke on steroids (the Brassy Polly is louder, but they both have a lot more volume than a Clarke original). Quite honestly, at first I wasn't sure if I liked 'em - but they've really grown on me.

Now, I'd say there are some tunes that sound (to my ear) better on a breathy whistle, some better on a pure whistle, and many (most?) it just depends on my mood. Now I just need to get a good-quality pure whistle to balance them (I'm planning on ordering a set of Syn whistles soon - we'll see if they're pure enough - but I'll probably end up with a Burke Session Pro, too).
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I like variety, but in general prefer clean and crisp. Someone mentioned a "pop" in the note, and that's what I'm looking for. I like all notes of a roll to sound nice and separate instead of fuzzy.
As to my favorites, board rules forbid me from answering... :lol:
Weasels, Sindts, Burkes are all terrific in this respect.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cj

Post by cj »

Put me down for another "it's all good" vote!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

brewerpaul wrote:I like variety, but in general prefer clean and crisp. Someone mentioned a "pop" in the note, and that's what I'm looking for. I like all notes of a roll to sound nice and separate instead of fuzzy.
As to my favorites, board rules forbid me from answering... :lol:
Weasels, Sindts, Burkes are all terrific in this respect.
OK, Paul, I'll say it for you. So is my Busman. :lol:

Actually, Grinters apart, I find it hard to classify the wooden whistles I own (or play regularly) on the pure/breathy spectrum. Probably the Thin Weasel is the purest but both Busman and Abell tend towards the pure but have a nice (to my ears) hint of breathiness as well. Nothing remotely like a lack of focus though.

Well, if they all sounded the same, why would you want more than one anyway? Oh, I know, they're wooden whistles and you just might accidentally sit on one. I heard a rumour that Lunasa lost several Grinters that way. Ouch!
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i too enjoy both, but prefer a clearer sound. that's one reason i really enjoy mack hoover's whistles. my favorite today is his pvc low f.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Depends on my mood, but I generally go for the clearer tone.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>