New Moderator on Chiff & Fipple Boards

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

Cranberry wrote:I'm not sweating it, Tony. The first time I didn't post my concerns and I should have gone with my better judgement and not posted them the second time.

To make it clear, I recieved a PM that thought I was commenting on Alan, and I wasn't, it was meant to be toward an instrument maker in general moderating the forums and the appearance of a conflict of interest. Sort of like letting the lion watch over the sheep. This particular lion may be a well behaved nice lion (and he is), but the potential is always there.

I'll shut up now to avoid causing any more problems. That wasn't what I was trying to do (believe it or not! :P).
Considering yourself fortunate he didn't pick me, eh Cran?? :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
serpent

Post by serpent »

DaleWisely wrote:Let me be clear that this board belongs to rich and myself and Alan has our complete support. Obviously, in his position as moderator, if he uses the boards to promote his business, everybody would be on him like white on rice.

Let's not ANTICIPATE a problem. If a problem develops, we'll deal. I could really use the help.

Dale
Gosh, Dale, Alan certainly has my support 100%!
serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Monster

Post by Monster »

Dale,

If you are bringing the hammer down now, just think what will happen if something really does go wrong. Oooops, sorry, forgot I'm not allowed to think like that.

I'm done with this thread!
insert uber smart comment here
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Monster wrote:Dale,

If you are bringing the hammer down now, just think what will happen if something really does go wrong. Oooops, sorry, forgot I'm not allowed to think like that.

I'm done with this thread!
Hammer? What hammer?

I have never actively promoted myself on C&F in any way and do not intend to start now.

I'm just here to help Dale because he asked me and I love C&F.

Let's try and keep 'possible perceptions' from becoming 'preconceived notions', eh?

Thanks!
Alan
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Cran - Yes, Alan does make and sell flutes, but I have yet to see a single post mentioning them from him. Hell, he barely posts at all. He's more a chat denizen than a message board poster. Secondly, they're not his main source of income, it's more a hobby than a serious business venture. Alan is also one of the most reasonable people I've encountered. Don't sweat it.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
ravensdream

Post by ravensdream »

Alan makes flutes? Hmmm, I chat with him almost nightly and until now I didn't know he even made flutes! :-?

I say...3 cheers on Dale's wise choice! And 3 more for Alan!

Raven :D
energy

Post by energy »

Alright, a chatster! Up Alan! W00t W00t! We need an official title though, to be used in fittingly pompous situations, so that all us chiffizens can refer to him in a properly reverenced manner( ;) )...Lt. Governor Alan? Not the same ring as "The Undisputed", but hey, it's not supposed to sound as cool...

Anyway, I don't think Alan has ever even mentioned on the boards that he makes flutes, and as Telegram Sam mentioned, he only does it as a hobby, so I'm sure it won't be a problem.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ TelegramSam
Cran - Yes, Alan does make and sell flutes, but I have yet to see a single post mentioning them from him. Hell, he barely posts at all. He's more a chat denizen than a message board poster. Secondly, they're not his main source of income, it's more a hobby than a serious business venture. Alan is also one of the most reasonable people I've encountered. Don't sweat it.
Sam, I know Alan, and I know that he will be a SUPER moderator and he will NEVER compromise the position. (I'm in chat almost nightly, in case you haven't noticed. ;-) )

I simply thought the fact that I (and at least one other person to be sure) have a concern over a maker (not Alan personally) doubling as a moderator deserved to be pointed out. It has absolutely nothing to do with Alan's person or his character. Nobody has to defend Alan because I'm not attacking him. I hope that's crystal clear. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think that Cran admits that Alan is known for his even temperament, in the chatroom, but he does raise a valid issue, whether one agrees with the point or not.
Reasonable person
Walden
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ya know, there's a really odd phenomena at work here. I see it but don't know the name for it--I betcha Jim Stone does, and probably Dale could put a name to it pretty easily.

It goes like this:

First, we start with a board where those who love whistles can get to know each other and interact.

Among the many players of whistles, a few whistle makers find the board and also interact.

A small (and let me repeat that...small) number of the many makers who follow the boards--and there are many more who lurk here than post regularly--create a problem by posting self-serving advertising as posts.

To further confuse this issue, other makes don't self-advertise but do freely talk about design changes and manufacturing methods and other things that a lot of whistlers are interested in.

So a rule has to be introduced to put a bit of a muzzle on the self-advertising posts, hopefully without compromising the occasional technical discussion.

And things rock on...on a pretty even keel for a long time.

Then an even smaller number of makers (two, folks, not to be overly precise) test the limits of the self-advertisting restriction...

...and suddenly, the Magical Transformation occurs...

And whistlers are "sheep" who much be "protected" from the "wolves," the awful makers who lurk around every corner waiting to pounce upon unsuspecting victims?!? :roll:

Get real, folks. Since when did instrument makers become the bad guys?

Also, I don't want to get to blunt here, but I definitely see some kids who live in glass houses who are throwing the rocks. :o

--James
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This will probably work fine if we let it.
If it doesn't we can deal with it then.
This is a message board for whistle enthusiasts on
a smallish planet in a solar system on the border
of a vast galaxy, the Milky Way. There are
countless other galaxies. On we go. Best
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Cranberry wrote:....I hope that's crystal clear....
Probably not to you Cran. The way I figure... you've got 10-15 more redundant comments to make about it before you get it out of your system.

:lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Tony
Probably not to you Cran. The way I figure... you've got 10-15 more redundant comments to make about it before you get it out of your system.
Obviously, I don't repeat myself to make it clear to me. I only have to repeat myself when I've been misinterpreted, as peeplj has done, again, but I won't repeat again, because I agree with you - it gets redundant.

P.S., Only 14 more times to go. ;-)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Misinterpreted, Cran?

Hardly...I have done no interpretation.

I have merely produced a shoe of random size. If you say it fits your foot, it's hardly my fault.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yes, you have, James.

Misinterpreted would probably be better read as misunderstood.
Last edited by Jack on Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.