Ebay treasure

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ebay treasure

Post by Blackbeer »

OK folks here is my latest ebay treasure: item # 2577781546
I have no idea who made it or if it is home made or what. I got it today and it is a real beauty. It is in the key of C and is very heavy, well in tune though I have not been able to loosen the tuning slide if that in fact is what it is. It is the finest sounding high C whistle I have ever played, no kidding. The design is nothing like anything I have ever seen. The airway is a seperate piece attached to the top of the fipple, the air requirements are similar to a Clark or Shaw but the tone is more refined, almost flute like with some nice harmonics and a bit of chiff. So any ideas as to who made it? I just can`t pass up things like this to save my soul and this is the reason. For the price of a sweetone or Gen I have one heck of a whistle. And how about those blade guards.

Tom
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Cool. A true collector.

Looks like someone adapted a windway, then drilled holes, on an organ flute complete with its "ears"...

You have absolutely no identification, markings, stamps or labels?
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Fenguin

Post by Fenguin »

Totally cool, nice find.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Man Tom, that was sold at an estate sale right from under my nose! Not that I was actually at the estate sale, but I've never seen anything other than piano accordions and brass like trumpets at the estate sales here in KC!

Nice buy.

Eric
Steven

Post by Steven »

Cool-o, Tom! Those blade guard thingies look like they serve the same function as the ridges around the window on the lower Copeland whistles ("for strong, stable tone" according to his website). That rolled bottom end is also interesting. Seems to me we've seen something like that around here sometime recently, but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, I'm glad you're liking the new whistle, and it looks like you got a pretty good deal on it too. I really should check eBay more often!

:-)
Steven
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I guess I have to start seaching FLUTE too! :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Yep it is a pretty cool whistle. Not any marking at all Zoob and I even used a magnifying glass. The rolled end isn`t a rolled end. It is a seperate ring. The workmanship is first rate. I get the feeling that this is a proffessionaly made instrument but I could be wrong.
Today would be a great day to just sit here and play the darn thing as there is a total white out blizzard ragging outside. But, somewhere out there are 25 draft horses waiting for their breakfast so I had better crank up the old 63 dodge and head out to find them. Not to mention Molly, who I can hear voicing her outrage at me for being late. Morgans are a very upady breed of horse.

Tom
Paul

Post by Paul »

Great find, Tom. Congratulations. It does indeed look professionally made based on the pictures IMO.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Wow, Tom. Great find. What beautiful craftsmanship. Here's a link to make it easier for others to admire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2577781546

Lawrence
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

An interesting and unique solution to the windway! Instead of a fipple plug, the mass underneath functions as a support block for it. I've never seen anything like it.
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

It must be from another planet..... It's like a Robo-Clarke......

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

It must be from another planet..... It's like a Robo-Clarke......

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

It says "vintage" but in the photos it doesn't look old at all. Almost looks like somebody's prototype in their first attempt at whistle-making.
Interesting.

Susan
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

maybe molly has some ideas about who made the whistle . . . sorry to hear about the white out . . . here in phoenix, the only white out is found at Office Depot.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

susnfx wrote:It says "vintage" but in the photos it doesn't look old at all.
Oh, but everything on ebay is either vintage or rare... :lol:
Remember eBay, that's where one pair of idiots will bid the price of a Clarke original up to three times its retail value while there are other Clarke originals on the same index page that have no bids at all :lol:
susnfx wrote:Almost looks like somebody's prototype in their first attempt at whistle-making.
That's kind of what I thought. My first impression is "that's what a machinest would make if he was trying to duplicate an Overton from a fuzzy picture." Not that it's bad. It looks like a labor of love that was modified a few times to get it exactly right (the "wings" look to be an afterthought, for example). I think the ebay ad said it was from an estate sale, kind of makes you wonder if maybe the world lost a whistle maker just as he'd perfected his prototype...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.