newbie tunes..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bullet08

newbie tunes..

Post by bullet08 »

hello, i'm a newbie on whistle. got me a clarke sweetone in d, and grey larsen's book (on its way). what are some tunes that are being played now days?

found some fingering chart and noticed and i could play most of my korean tunes on the whistle, but my GHB tunes are not fitting too well.

just for back ground. i play (until 2.5 yrs ago when my kid was born) GHB for about 20 yrs. i also play recorder and other things..

what are some popular tunes that's being played?

thanks in advance,
peter kim
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: newbie tunes..

Post by Bloomfield »

bullet08 wrote:what are some popular tunes that's being played?
Hi Peter, welcome.

What kind of music do you want to play? Are you looking to sit in on an Irish Trad session?
/Bloomfield
bullet08

Post by bullet08 »

hello bloomfield,

not sure if i want to sit in on a session. not sure i'll be that good any time soon..

i always enjoyed dance tunes on pipes.. jigs, hornpipes.. anything that's cheerful.. some nice air would be nice also.

something traditional..

is o'neill's 'music of ireland' good tune book to get?

regards,
peter kim
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If you are looking for printed sheet music, check out this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=6955

If you want to learn by ear tunes that you will be most likely to hear played in a session, I'd start by getting the first 5 Chieftains CDs, the Bothy Band, Planxty, Kevin Burke's Sweeny's Dream (has lots of Michael Coleman tunes), Tommy Peoples, and All Ireland Champions: Violin (Trad Music from County Clare and East Galway). Sessions vary widely, though. Also, I feel whatever I'd suggest, I am leaving out many more that should be included.

Maybe this will help:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10953
/Bloomfield
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Give the man a chance, Bloo. What's wrong with The Kesh Jig, The Butterfly, and The Boys of Bluehill?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

StevieJ wrote:Give the man a chance, Bloo. What's wrong with The Kesh Jig, The Butterfly, and The Boys of Bluehill?

Beurk. ;)
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ya know it's funny, if you learn the tunes most oft recommeded (in books or by well meaning folks), like kesh, morrison's, etc. then you're screwed because no one wants to play or hear those tunes (yet again) at sessions. OTH, if you learn some of the nice, more obscure tunes, you're still screwed because no one else at the session seems to know those tunes.

Basically, unless you know about 500 tunes, you're screwed. :lol:

Loren
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The session I play at plays Kesh, Butterfly and Boys of Bluehill

(Not together)

I suggest some slower tunes (airs, waltzes, marches, etc) to start... They are usually easier to learn.

For instance the Bantry Girls Lament.

Try jigs and hornpipes that you find on the web... they may not be right, but they give you a start at playing...
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

HMMMMMMMMMMM
Have we become musical snobs??
I still remember the joy of finally being able to play the boys of bluehill, and it is surprising to many ppl play the kesh badly,
it mattes little what tune is played, start slow and start easy, but practice until perfect, timing, and rythmn and ornamentation are achieved, and when you think you have it done perfectly, look a bit harder to find improvement for it is eternal,
good luck
all the whistles
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

HMMMMMMMMMMM
I still remember the joy of finally being able to play the boys of bluehill, and it is surprising to many ppl play the kesh badly,
it mattes little what tune is played, start slow and start easy, but practice until perfect, timing, and rythmn and ornamentation are achieved, and when you think you have it done perfectly, look a bit harder to find improvement for it is eternal,
good luck
all the whistles
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

boomerang wrote:HMMMMMMMMMMM
good luck
all the whistles
David
I can't speak for anyone else, of course. But yes, I am a musical snob. A confessing musical snob.

I used to feel bad about it, too. Like I was somehow taking something away from someone else. But now I embrace my musical tastes. I don't have to pretend to enjoy hearing the Kesh Jig played as an off-rhythm polka. I don't have to pretend I like a little bit of djembe with my hornpipes. I don't have to be more respectful to those who aren't willing to invest a little time and openness into the music than they are respectful of the Music or of the session.

That said: I love the Kesh jig, and I don't mind the Boys of Bluehill when they are played well. Also, I like beginners and those interested in the music. It's great if they muster the courage to come, listen, and sit it. I encourage them to start a tune, and it just fine if it's the Kesh, the Boys of Bluehill, the Butterfly or the Swallowtail Jig (I will never forget when I nervously started my first set ever in a session with the Swallowtail Jig). I don't mind beginners (still consider myself one) and wouldn't turn up my nose at their efforts. But that is because I like social interaction. It is not because I can't tell the difference between bad music and good music.

Sincerely,
Bloomfield, M.S.
/Bloomfield
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Heh, yeah, there is a snobbery in folk idioms, just the same as in classical. People are the same, whether the music is or not. Just as wells get used to it. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Good starter tunes

Ballydesmond #2
Star of the County Down
Blackthornstick
Anything for John Joe
Little Bag of Spuds
Rolling in the Ryegrass
Egan's polka
Denis Murphy's #2
Cul Aodh Slide
Planxty Irwin
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My own thoughts on this (and on what's been written before):

Yes, there is some snobbery to be found in trad music as there is to be found in any human endeavor.

I'm not sure Bloo's position represents snobbery in this case, though. Sounds maybe like an aquired distaste for a few tunes that you often hear played badly.

Real snobbery would be more along the lines of "Sure you can sit in...here's our list of acceptable brands of whistles. Be sure you bring on of these."

Rather or not a learner will have a good experience trying to sit in on a session depends in large part on the session. Some are more open and friendly, some less so. Approach with caution and listen to the session several nights before approaching anyone about joining in, to get to know what tunes are played and just in general the "feel" of the session.

That's my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid for it.

--James