Pre-holiday announcement.... Updated 12/30

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pre-holiday announcement.... Updated 12/30

Post by brewerpaul »

The following has been approved by OFL
(our fearless leader :lol: )

With Channukah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, etc approaching, you may want to consider a gift of a nice wooden whistle for yourself or for others...
At the present time I have partially finished D whistles in the following woods:
Olivewood
Bloodwood
Kingwood
Pink Ivory ( probably the last I will make)
Birdseye Maple ( beautiful, so-called "salvage timber", over 100 years old)
These can be completed with your choice of brass or stainless steel fittings in a relatively short time, perhaps 2 weeks.

I will be starting a new batch of whistles very soon, and can include one for you in the above woods ( minus Pink Ivory) plus:
Blackwood
Cocobolo
Bubinga
Bocote
Rosewood
Pau Rosa
Tamabootie
Mopane
You can see pics of many of these on my website.
Whistles included in this batch will be ready in 2-3 months.
I will need to start this batch pretty soon, so I will take requests for whistles to be included for a period of two weeks. No need to send payment now-- just let me know. After that, I will start the batch with woods of my choice.

Not sure what the gift recipient would like? I can make a gift certificate for you which would allow them to contact me themselves to help me in the design of their own whistle.

As always, please contact me off the board if you have any interest-- please clearly mention Whistles in the subject line of your e-mail so I don't relegate it to the SPAM bin...

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish a beautiful, meaningful holiday season to all of the worldwide friends that whistlemaking has brought my way, and to the entire Chiff and Fipple community. Peace to all. Paul
Last edited by brewerpaul on Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hey Paul...when are you going to make a C?
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

prices?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Sam, the prices are on the site, just a little hidden. :) You need to click the link for "general information", then on that page click the "next page" link at the bottom. Here's the direct link though: http://www.busmanwhistles.com/page0003.html

Bloodwood, though it sounds a little odd, is beautiful!! I found this picture. Best to you Paul, your whistles look and sound beautiful!!

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I was at a workshop in Cleveland earlier this year and there was this kid playing this wonderfully sweet whistle. I asked his what it was and he said it was a Busman. It was pretty to look at too.
rbm

Post by rbm »

Just got to say I love my cocobolo - to die for :D

and even with the time zones etc I found Paul a real gent to deal with.
serpent

Post by serpent »

My Gaboon Ebony Busman is truly wondrous both to look at, and mostly, to hear and play. Paul is a master craftsman, indeed!
Happy Holidays! :)
Bill "serpent" Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Good luck Paul. I got to play Limuhead's whistle at our little party and I was totally impressed by the craftsmanship and sound of your product. And we were surrounded by famous whistles so it was a side-by-side comparison. Limu is obviously inspired by his to practice and play a lot.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

emmline wrote:Hey Paul...when are you going to make a C?
Or an Ab, or a Db?

I have finally figured out a way to assure the eventual ready supply of not-too-expensive whistles in these keys. Starting now, I shall mention these keys every chance I get. Then, in about six months I'll casually mention that whistle makers should search the archives for references to these keys to see just how popular they would be (hopefully they won't notice all the posts are from me). Oops, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned my plan on the board, huh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
chas

Post by chas »

I have one of Paul's whistles from the first batch he sold. It's one of the most visually stunning whistles I own (it's bocote), and is still one of my favorites to play, with an almost perfect balance between the octaves. Absolutely no harshness or blowing your brains out at the top of the second and into the third octave.

Paul, I'd love to see a pic of one of your whistles in mopane.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

*sigh*

I feel poor. Maybe the Daler Clause will bring me one on Chiffsmas Eve.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
brewerpaul

Bumping it up, with an update...

Post by brewerpaul »

The following bump-up and update is Dale approved...

The whistles mentioned in my initial post are nearing completion. I've put stainless fittings on all of them, and they're looking good. Fingerholes, voicing and final touch-up is "all" that is required.

I will be starting that next batch in a few days, so if anyone is interested in getting a whistle into production, please let me know before the first of the year.

I have an experimental Eb body tube ready for fingerholes. If all goes well, I will begin to offer Eb whistles in the near future. I am also working on C whistles, but I need a bit of additional tooling to accomodate the longer body tube.

A very Happy New Year to all!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Rick Davidson

Post by Rick Davidson »

I received a Dogwood Whistle of Paul's for Christmas (which I did try out when it first arrived, before my son wrapped it and placed it under the tree).

I am truely amazed out how this whistle performs. The tone quality it delievers is so inviting to the ear. Still learning much about this whistle, and every day that passes I get more used to the way it plays, and the feeling that is possible from this gem. Every single person that has heard it tells me that it has a beautiful sound. The best way to put it is that this whistle is just in a different league than anything else I've ever played. I'll be using it in my first music session tonight... can't wait! :D
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Eb?

I may reconsider my Strathmann's F flute remaining my highest whistle, errrm... redorker... errm fippled tube thingie? 8)
It's true: I read it on Internet.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Today I played my Busman bocote for an hour and a half non-stop. We all assume its beautiful look and sound, but today I realized just how comfortable it is to play. I must be getting it right finally; my family actually broke out into spontaneous dance during a reel.

Best to you Paul.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.