Need some help with my jig

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rbm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need some help with my jig

Post by rbm »

Back in the summer I spent a couple of weeks on the north west coast of Scotland doing as little as I could get away with, sitting on Pollin beach a jig jumped in to my head, (and I think it is a new jig) well part of a jig the first repeat section. Since then I have played around with it but cannot come up with a second section that I happy with so anyone got any good ideas that I can plagiarise?

GABDD GABd_ defged BB defged BA_G EGA(B)AGE :

Underscores are longer notes and in brackets as shorter (this is dead technical isn’t it! :D hehehe)
(sorry but I am at work and so the basic tab will have to do.)

Richard.
carrie

Post by carrie »

That's nice, Richard!

How about this?

|e2B def# |g2f# e3 | gBg f#Bf#| e2d B3| GAB def#|gab g3| edB AGD | E3 E3:||

(the numbers after the notes show that they are double (2) or triple (3) the basic note value, in this case an eighth note)

Carol
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

cskinner wrote:That's nice, Richard!

How about this?

|e2B def# |g2f# e3 | gBg f#Bf#| e2d B3| GAB def#|gab g3| edB AGD | E3 E3:||

(the numbers after the notes show that they are double (2) or triple (3) the basic note value, in this case an eighth note)

Carol
Or maybe this:

X: 1
K: Em
|e2B def |g2f e3 | gBg fBf| e2d B3| GAB def|gab g3| edB AGD | E3 E3:|

Now it's abc and can be played in an abc player, printed by an abc scoring program, etc. For example, you can paste it into http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html and get an instant score or MIDI file of it.

(Note replacement of f# with K:Em, a key field of some sort is required by most abc parsers to "switch" to parsing the body. Even so, if you were to omit the K: field, or otherwise needed to sharp a note, you would use a preceding up caret, i.e. ^f, instead of a trailing pound sign.)

(Note that "K:G" would give the proper printed key signature for the above line but I suspect from the dominance of e in the above line that the phrase is actually in Em.)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
rbm

Post by rbm »

err I guess :

T:The Phollain Jig
M:6/8
K: D
|GAB D2 D |GAB d2 d |efg2 ed |B2 B2 de|fg2ed B| A2G2E2 |GAB AGE:|

but how do you put rests in?

eddited to give a vesion that plays better. alright alright - already I'll sort out some repetition :D
Last edited by rbm on Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

in ABC notation z=rest, like: cBA {A}AzA | {B}AEA Bcd ...
/Bloomfield
carrie

Post by carrie »

Oh, come on, folks! Don't let me be the only one--let's give Richard some choices!

Carol
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Is this the tune as it has evolved so far?

|GAB D2D |GAB d2 d |efg edB |Bde fge |dB A2 GE |GAB AGE:|

It only has six bars in the first part but eight in the second. I would consider using eight in the first part as well as the second. It also has two sharps as the key signature but it appears to be in G rather than D. The fourth bar is OK but I would have put in something a little different to give it more the flavour of a definite D chord there-maybe something like ABG FED. I also think some repitition would be good. Using the first two bars over as the fourth and fifth bars for instance. Think of how repititive some of the favourite Irish tunes are. To me, the second part wants to end on G. The third bar of the second part is very nice. Because it's so good, I would consider using it again, maybe in the fifth bar and continuing on as is from there.

Good going.

Steve
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

SteveK wrote:Is this the tune as it has evolved so far?

It only has six bars in the first part but eight in the second. I would consider using eight in the first part as well as the second. It also has two sharps as the key signature but it appears to be in G rather than D.
I still say it's in Em (relative of and same key sig as G). It keeps resolving to the E in all the right places. Play it and it sounds kind of minor, too. Seems kind of unusual for a Jig to be minor, but this one seems to be.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

OutOfBreath wrote:
SteveK wrote:Is this the tune as it has evolved so far?

It only has six bars in the first part but eight in the second. I would consider using eight in the first part as well as the second. It also has two sharps as the key signature but it appears to be in G rather than D.
I still say it's in Em (relative of and same key sig as G). It keeps resolving to the E in all the right places. Play it and it sounds kind of minor, too. Seems kind of unusual for a Jig to be minor, but this one seems to be.
I can't possibly get Em out of the first part. If it were really supposed to have two sharps it would be E dorian. I can't get that either. Harmonically, E aeolian or dorian tunes usually revolve around figures based on Em and Dmaj chords. The first part definitely doesn't do that. The second part begins in Em all right but in the fourth measure I hear it going back to G. I don't think there's anything wrong with considering the second part to be E minor but I simply hear it ending on G. The way Temperance Reel does in the second part.

Steve
rbm

Post by rbm »

Alright I agree it still needs to evolve some what but I like the basic tune, and however when played on the piano it sounds ok, I must admit I don't understand this key bit I guess that comes of being self taught, and now I'm not even sure its a jig on the piano its begining to come out more along the lines of a waltz but my timing has never been good :D
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Just for fun, I rearranged the first eight bars of the first part as a waltz. I changed the key signature and some of the note values. Actually, I changed all of the note values to make it into waltz time but I changed some of the relative values to make it fit eight measures. I tried to preserve all the essential ideas but I'm not sure that I did. It works at the concertina converter.

X:1
T:The Phollain Waltz
M:3/4
L:1/4
K:G
|GAB|D2 D|GAB|d2 d|efg|ged|B2 B|def|

I guess I should have said that I took four measures of your tune (plus one note) and converted it to eight measures of the waltz.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well, this is how I heard Richard's first part from the way he notated it, definitely with 8 measures.

As for the key, I hear E minor or dorian (nice that there's no confirming C or C#), and I liked the kinda false start in G major and that nice turn to E minor right before the...well...turn to E minor.

K: E minor
|GAB D2 D |GAB d2 d |efg e2d|B3 B3| def ged|BA2 G3| EGA {B}A2G|E3 E3:|

However, for the squeamish, you can also end it like this (last two measures):

edB AGF | G3 G3:|

As for waltz v. jig...yeah. It could be a waltz. I sooooo want to write a real jiggy sounding jig, but they always seem to come out as waltzes.

Carol
rbm

Post by rbm »

I'm with you Carol, so I guess I'm not squeamish the upper version has a rawness to that change at the end of the second repeat.

but is it a waltz or a jig? if played more bouncilly and a bit faster that the generated midi file it is more jig like. hey ho who knows :roll:

Richard.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Nice job Richard and Carol! I like the upper version - it has character. I think it sounds best as an unhurried jig because of how well the melody sings at that pace. For me anyway.

If I get any inspirations I'll toss 'em in.

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Okay, here's a suggestion for a C part. I play rolls on all of the dotted quarters.

K: E minor
|GAB D2D|GAB d2d|efg e2d|B3 B3|def ged|BA2 G3|EGA {B}A2G|E3 E3:|
|e2B def|g2f e3|gBg fBf|e2d B3|GAB def|gab g3|edB AGD |E3 E3 :|
|B3 B3|GBd g2g|B3 A3|GEE E2E|GBd Bdb|a2g e2B|efg fed|e3 e3:|]

It's a fun tune to play.

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband