Okay picking a new whistle..need some help.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vaulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Okay picking a new whistle..need some help.

Post by vaulter »

I started playing with a clark sweetone D about a year ago and really liked it except that the C natural is really weak/raspy whether half holing or cross-fingering...also even though it shouldn't matter I really don't like the "toy" like appearance. I tried a laughing whsitle and just couldn't get the hang of it. next I bought an elfsong and adored the sound and look but ended up selling it. I'm not sure how to explain it but I couldn't play it as "fast" as my sweetone the transition from note to not was MUCH harder not sure if it was a back-pressure issue or what also I didn't really like that it took so long to warm up compared to my sweetone so I sold it and went back to my sweetone.
so I just got a 2nd hand Low D whistle and tried it and decided at least for now thats not for me...so I am once again getting bothered by the crummy "C" natural on my sweetone and am on a quest for my "perfect" soparno D whistle.

So I'm looking for :
-soprano D
-more towards the sweet/pure sound than chiffy
-less toy looking
-plays something like a sweetone in that it is quick to switch from note to note
-a good solid crossfingered natural "C"
-cheaper is alwasy better but would go into low 3 figures if I had to but <$80 would be great <$50 would be spectacular
-used would be fine with me...especially if someone would be willing to let me test drive it first...also be more than willing to trade in my india manufactured nickled brass low D whistle that I just bought

and suggestions/info/offeres would be great :)
thanks for any and all help
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

For $130 you can get a Burke. http://www.burkewhistles.com/

For under $50 you can get a Cillian O'Braiaine (sp?) http://www.thewhistleshop.com/

For $30 you can put a Hoover Whitecap ( http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/ ) on a Gen tube ( I don't know if it will fit n a Sweettone tube) and if you don't have the Gen tube it'll run about $10. I have one of these and it's wonderful. But it's not very loud.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oh, and for around $80 you can get an Elfsong http://www.elfsongwhistles.com/
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Burke or Sindt....you won't regret either, but they DO require some warming. Water Weasel, but you won't like the appearance. But I'll bet that you end up liking something with a conical bore...Copeland.

I say spring for a Burke.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

In his post vaulter says he tried the elfsong already, so I guess that's not an option.
next I bought an elfsong and adored the sound and look but ended up selling it. I'm not sure how to explain it but I couldn't play it as "fast" as my sweetone the transition from note to not was MUCH harder not sure if it was a back-pressure issue or what also I didn't really like that it took so long to warm up compared to my sweetone so I sold it and went back to my sweetone.
I bought some elfsong whistles as well after my first sweetone. Same as vaulter I love the sound and the way they play... but they just don't suit me. I find them quite heavy and I like light whistles.

My Burke Brass Pro is somewhat lighter and plays lovely, clear in tone and has lightning reflexes (not that I am able to use that feature though). But I keep playing my Generation whistle everytime. In session I use the Burke, but the Generation at home.

I do have a O'Briain "Improved" D as well, but it's kind of squeeky in my ears... very shrill. You have to be carefull with your use of breath as well... if you're used to playing a Sweetone I think you'll need some adjustments in that area.

So if you're looking for a less toy-looking whistle I'd vote for a Burke. Keep an eye out for a good Generation though, I think they're just the best.
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

It shows to go ya, read carefully.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

What about those Dixons for low cost? I finally played one at the whistle party and it was a great tooter. Are they sort of uneven in quality? The one I played, it was maybe Crom's or Norcals, was fantastic.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I'm a Burke fan, especially the composites, but in the under $100 market, I like the Syns. I got mine for $35 including shipping. I don't know what the current price might be.

I recently picked up a used Burke Narrow Bore Brass D for $75 and boy is it sweet. Just the sound I like. I've got some higher end whistles but this one has it's place in my stable.

jim d
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

The Weekenders wrote:What about those Dixons for low cost? I finally played one at the whistle party and it was a great tooter. Are they sort of uneven in quality? The one I played, it was maybe Crom's or Norcals, was fantastic.
Might have been mine - I have the non-tunable version, which is a really good whistle for the money ($15). I think Norcals may have been the tunable ($35, I think). And I think that a Dixon (either version) would be pretty good match.

Though I've grown much fonder of my Serpent Brassy Polly since the party (I was still learning to deal with the air requirements then), I can't recommend them for vaulter's needs - though they meet most of his other criteria (good C-Nat, fast, cheap) they are a very chiffy whistle - even though they don't feel like a Clarke when you're playing, they sound much like a really loud, in-tune, Clarke orginal.

A Jerry-tweeked Gen might not be a bad choice (haven't had a chance to try one yet). Ditto for a Syn (I need to get off the stick and order a set).

But it wouldn't hurt to try an Oak D - once you've got the breath control down, they can be a very good whistle. And they cost even less than the others I've mentioned (12 or 13 dollars).
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

To me there were two choices

1. For under $50 a tweaked Sweetone by Jerry Freedman. He has removed all problems I had with my original Sweetone with his magical tweaking.

2. For over $100 a Burke Aluminum Session (or any Burke). I found they play about as well as my ability lets them. The better I get, the better they play.

There are many, many good whistles out there that are reviewed on the main C&F site. I'd recommend looking at the low- and high-end whistles and using that as a basis.
elendil

Post by elendil »

also even though it shouldn't matter I really don't like the "toy" like appearance.
you realize, don't you, that when you start thinking like that you're definitely on the slippery slope? :)

If you like your Sweetone, it sounds as if you might like a more "open" sound than some of the "sweeter" whistles, like Burke narrow bores. Since you're obviously coming down with WhOA, why don't you 1) talk to Mack Hoover about your likes and see if he has any ideas; although a lot of his whistles are quiet, he sometimes has surprises up his sleeve; 2) consider a wide bore Burke? But because of the cost, get a few opinions before you pop for the Burke.
elendil
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I love my elfsong to bits, can't imagine why you'd sell it but oh well.

If you're looking for something less expensive, try a Serpent Polly, I think they're around $20 and for what you pay, they're <i>excellent</i> whistles, hand made and whatnot. They do have a decidedly "whistle" sound to them, you may or may not like it. Maybe someone can post some clips? They come in colors, but if you don't want a "toy" looking instrument, you can request an unpainted one.
Last edited by TelegramSam on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Tweeked Clarke original from the whistleshop. Meets all your requirements, at about $20, except perhaps the c-nat, and even that's not too bad, relatively speaking. I have one, and it's just about darned near perfect, although I did play it in one group setting and it was just barely loud enough. I think they don't get recommended a lot because not a lot of people have them. It's hard to explain why I still have WhOA, with this little beauty. It will not leave you breathless, unlike the untweaked version.

Robin
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

Jerry, I apologize. It's FREEMAN, not FREEDMAN. Jerry as in JerryWhistle, Freeman as in FreemanizedWhistle.

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. Mea Maximo Culpa.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Does not like the Sweetone look so how many whistles does that eliminate (Sweetone, Jerrytone, Clark orig, Shaw?)

What does that leave under $50 that I know about? Syn, Hoover, JerryGen, Dixon (both tuneables and the non).

Burkes can be had for $80, I just got one and saw one go lickity split on Ebay. Not much less though.

There, that is my twenty cents worth.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus