Lowered prices on Serpent Brassy Polly tuneable

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

No offence, cran, but aren't there 1,000,000,000,000 more important things for anybody to think about than what some guy in another state is posting on an internet message board?

Ugh. If you don't like these posts, then don't click on them. Whenever you see a serpent post, pretend it doesn't exist. Dropping flames in every one you see is just silly.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
ravensdream

Post by ravensdream »

Hallalujah! :really:
Raven

I will be no longer responding to serpent's posts for the forseeable future, however.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks for the information Serpent. Sounds like a great deal to me. Also thanks to Dale for approving the post. BTW maybe we need guidelines on moral posts. They are far more offensive than commercial posts.

Ron
Steven

Post by Steven »

Not that I'm privy to the complex workings of the Undisputed Mind, but maybe this post got approved because Bill is asking people to let him give them money back, rather than asking people to buy something from him. In any case, I think it's very decent of him to do that so nobody feels they got screwed. Good going, Bill!

:-)
Steven
cj

Post by cj »

I for one am glad to hear when prices go down!
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Serpent, thank you for the efforts you are making to be competitive and a quality craftsman.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Tony wrote:Cranberry, (hint) you need to exercise restraint. You're totally out-of-control.
I'm calling this to your attention in a friendly manner now before you start annoying the other members of this message board.
Too late... :D
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I think Bill is a bit free with the self-serving posts and we even exchanged PMs on the subject several months ago. In fact, unless he comes up with a whistle in a hard-to-get key (like Ab, hint, hint) I am not likely to buy any of his whistles -- call it my own little backlash against self-promotion, if you will. I'm sure Bill's whistles are good but there are a lot of good whistles from makers who blow their own horns (or whistles) a little less loudly.

However - those who seem to want to follow him around this board criticizing every move he makes are at least as annoying he is! Maybe even more so. At least in his case his motives are fairly clear while the motives of the "Bill-bashers" are more puzzling to me.

This thread is a good example of that - whatever you may think of Bill, do you know of any other maker who has lowered the price of a perfectly good whistle and then offered to refund money to those who have already purchased one? Do you really think Bill is stupid enough to believe that his offer is going to generate enough new business to offset the potential loss of money already earned?

I wish Bill were a little less self-promoting, but even so I've come to believe his motives are something other than strictly monetary. In fact, that pretty much applies to all whistle makers, at least those selling in the low to middle price ranges. How much money do y'all think is to be made in selling whistles for $20-$100? I daresay most of them probably barely offset their expenses and if they're making more than six or eight bucks an hour they're doing extremely well -- and that after an initial equipment investment that, in some cases, would have been enough to start a much more profitable business.

There are 2880 registered users of this board but probably something like only 200 to 300 regularly visit the forum. Even so, I suspect that this forum represents a relatively huge percentage of the people who are regularly in the market for high-quality whistles. So, if you think any of the low-to-middle price-range makers out there are making a killing, you don't have a very good grasp of business economics.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote: I simply wonder why Dale lets serpent post commercial posts all the time.

antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

DaleWisely wrote:
Cranberry wrote: I simply wonder why Dale lets serpent post commercial posts all the time.

:lol:
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

For Cranberry:

Well, you and I don't always agree, but I happen to be with you on this one. I have heard of message boards where blatant self-promotion by a few drove away so many of the more valuable posters (defined as the ones who consistently put in good information on the intended topics of the boards) that the board ceased functioning. One BBS I frequent has a commercial forum which is the only place for folks to put ads. That works well in that place, but I don't know how it would work here.

I decided NOT to purchase any of Serpent's whistles because I didn't like his promotion strategies. Also, it seems to me that if every week sees "new developments" in his designs, he probably isn't done refining and tinkering with his patterns yet. When he can go 6 months with one set of designs, I will consider looking closer, even though he'd have to change his marketing tactics before I buy. Until then, it seems like anyone new to a craft - every time he figures out something that other folks already know, it is a huge deal and needs to be broadcast to the world. For that matter, if I tried someone's Serpent from last month and liked it, there's no guarantee that Bill would even be making the same thing by the time I wanted one.

As to not having books, go to the library. Alternatively, go learn a new tune or a new instrument. Goodness knows I'd like to have time to work on my music, but with two small children, I don't have time for much of anything for myself alone.

Oh, and keep this avatar for a while. I like the pretty whistles better than "Night of the Living Stickmen." It is also on topic!

Dale- are you saying that you are letting him have rope to hang himself or that you let him have extra slack for tying up loose ends?

-Patrick
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Patrick wrote:Dale- are you saying that you are letting him have rope to hang himself or that you let him have extra slack for tying up loose ends?
I think it's a hemp rope and Dale is telling us that Bill has been bribing him with some of his, er, well, maybe not... :wink:
John
-------
serpent

Rope to hang the serp?

Post by serpent »

You guys are just flat priceless! :D

serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"