OT: Study links light drinking, brain shrinking (CNN)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
adamm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Study links light drinking, brain shrinking (CNN)

Post by adamm »

Well, maybe not so off-topic on this board...

This was on CNN today...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/12/05/sh ... index.html

Our poor brains.

Adam :party:
glauber

Post by glauber »

I drank 2 beers last night after i heard that. I thought by now the damage's already done. :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

Liking Irish music or Irish things does not automatically qualify one to a life of drunkeness and brain shrinkage.

(Playing recorder does.)
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

People always call me brainy and look at me funny. I drink in hopes of fitting in some day.
/Bloomfield
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You're right that your post might be on, or off topic :P , but the forthcoming mini-rant is a definite step off the old whistle topic...

Is anyone else here sick to death of "pop" science and the media's love of it? Whatever happened to the need to actually replicate a study several times before announcing it as the absolute truth. If there is anything the constantly contradictory barrage of "news" reports about scientific breakthroughs has show recently, it's that the we shouldn't believe these scientific reports until they have withstood the test of time. From diets to what's good for your heart to what's really a cancer causing agent - each week we get a brand new study, not yet replicated, and usually incompletely reported, telling us how to live.

I think I'm ranting so much because I'd read this article earlier in the day an it really irked me. For example:

"Ding said researchers cannot make a definitive cause-and-effect link between drinking and brain atrophy because the MRIs were done only once during the study and because they found only a small reduction in tissue. "

Then what the bloody h*&$ is the point of this article!

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Eric, you have broken herbivore12's and Wombat's Holy Rule of never veering off topic, watch your head. ;-)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Go, Jayhawk, go!! Lovin' it... Don't forget to include the ever-grant-seeking Center for Science in the Public Interest in the tirade!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders wrote:Go, Jayhawk, go!! Lovin' it... Don't forget to include the ever-grant-seeking Center for Science in the Public Interest in the tirade!
That's right. It's not the light drinking that leads to brain shrinkage, it's the brain shrinkage that leads to light drinking. Had the brain swollen, there might be heavy drinking, or possibly a desire to join a think tank, such as the Jesus Seminar or the ACLU.
Reasonable person
Walden
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

What a crock!

First...drinking in moderation is good for you...then it shrinks your brain.

Live in moderation with an occasional outburst of passionate living...
Or live passionatetly with an occasional outburst of moderation. Just don't live in fear of all this nonsense. My 2 cents worth.

In the end you are going to be dead. Period.

Ecclesiastes IX,7 "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works."
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Cranberry wrote:Liking Irish music or Irish things does not automatically qualify one to a life of drunkeness and brain shrinkage.

(Playing recorder does.)
Hey! My brain is currantly growing at an alarming rate, thanks to new fingering patterns that I'm now learning on the . . . yes that's right, recorder.
Drunkeness doesn't cause brain shrinkage. Not thinking while drinking does.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I forgot what I was going to write... oh well, I'll just have another beer! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I notice when I wag my head, something inside
it sounds like castenets. Must be my
brain. Cool!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Why are you wagging your head?
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Jayhawk wrote:
I think I'm ranting so much because I'd read this article earlier in the day an it really irked me. For example:

"Ding said researchers cannot make a definitive cause-and-effect link between drinking and brain atrophy because the MRIs were done only once during the study and because they found only a small reduction in tissue. "

Then what the bloody h*&$ is the point of this article!

Eric
I saw that quote too! How could they tell if it shrank if they only did one MRI???? I mean, doesn't one have to have something to compare that MRI to?

I agree, the media really goes for the shock value of any story, however baseless it might be. Just use common sense and enjoy your life for crying out loud!

Robin
Caj

Post by Caj »

Jayhawk wrote: Is anyone else here sick to death of "pop" science and the media's love of it?
I find that sensational exaggeration of science highly unethical, because it really does give people anxieties and affect their behavior. My mother, for instance, is convinced that alcoholism is genetic---she heard it on TV. Scientists find signs of a genetic predisposition to alcohol addiction, which can contribute to a largely environmental problem; but as far as channel 5 is concerned, alcholism is now genetic.

Now, my uncle was an alcoholic, in fact enough of an alcoholic that I find myself callously saying "was" even though he's still alive. The poor man had such a problem that he can't remember the last 30 years of his life, and now resides in a nursing home. My mother is now terrified that the same will happen to her children, because the TV guys said so. I tell her this is not what scientists really found, but TV has a way of affecting our beliefs at a fundamental level, usually more than we realize.

But it's a curious fuzzy ethical dilemma, because as you can see from the CNN article, reporters do not blatantly simplify the findings; they actually tell you exactly what the scientists found, XYZ may be linked to PDQ, this may or may not be causal, disclaimers and all; and yet there's something about the whole context, the headline, the way the news is delivered, that makes people walk away with a more sensational version of the story.

Caj