Leaking Head: Calling All Plumbers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Quote @ adern_du
Geez, I haven't thought about cork grease in ages, but I remember I used to love the smell of it.

Me, too, me, too. :)

P.S. Beeswax is evil. You don't need it. Leave it for the bees, thankyouverymuch.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Bloomfield - I've had the same problems you have had with plumber's tape - bunching up and all. I've had better luck with it when I tightly wrap one layer and then gently apply cork grease on top of the plumber's tape.

Good luck!

Eric
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

My most sincere and humble apologies for the temporary appropriation of your thread, dear Bloom. I do hope you accept my plea for forgiveness, and I hereby promise to never bring up bees, honey, allergies, pasteurization, or anti-bacterial properties again. Unless absolutely necessary. To illustrate a point or something.

:-D

~A

P.S. And I do believe you meant a varroa mite, did you not? ;)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Bloo... if you change your mind about the beeswax, let me know and I'll send you some.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tony wrote:Bloo... if you change your mind about the beeswax, let me know and I'll send you some.
I don't think I have to change my mind about it. Love bees wax, and am a big supporter of local bee keepers (we get some very very good stuff here). Let me play around a little bit more my teflon tape (I'd hate to waste the 85 cents I spent on it), but I'll come back to you if I decide to use bees wax. Thank so much!
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

It only costs you 85 cents? I pay three dollars. :o
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

True enough, teflon tape doesn't want to stay in place on the tube when you try to slide the head on... but it was really intended for use on threaded fittings.
I've had good luck with putting a wrap of black electrical tape around the top end of the tube first, and then heating it with a cigarette lighter just enough to make the adhesive get gummy.
Then peel off the electrical tape, and you'll have a sticky surface that will hold onto the teflon tape good enough to get the whistle head back on the tube.
Slightly heating the teflon tape after you wrap it around the tube also seems to slightly shrink it, which produces a better hold.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry wrote:It only costs you 85 cents? ...
Well, yeah... after I flashed the store clerk. :)
/Bloomfield
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Bloomfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:It only costs you 85 cents? ...
Well, yeah... after I flashed the store clerk. :)
Wanted you out of sight as quickly as possible, did she :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I you want something a little stronger, use a glue gun that sewing people use, the glue melts and dries. Use the low temperature type.
It you need to adjust the whistle, a small lighter or candle flame will suffice.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
serpent

Teflon -vs- Beeswax -- who will win the title?

Post by serpent »

Bloomfield wrote:
Tony wrote:Bloo... if you change your mind about the beeswax, let me know and I'll send you some.
I don't think I have to change my mind about it. Love bees wax, and am a big supporter of local bee keepers (we get some very very good stuff here). Let me play around a little bit more my teflon tape (I'd hate to waste the 85 cents I spent on it), but I'll come back to you if I decide to use bees wax. Thank so much!
Bloo, a teeny dab of cyanoacrylate gel (Super Glue gel) will hold the teflon in place long enough for you to get the wrap on. Just be sure you don't glue yourself to the whistle, or let any leakage remain, or you might find the whistle _very_ difficult to adjust, indeed! :o

Should you change your mind about the beeswax, just remember to hold the joint in your hand to warm it a bit before applying or adjusting. Here's a link to application info: http://www.serpentmusic.com/beeswax1.html - I promise there are no subliminal messages there! :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Bloomfield wrote:
Tony wrote:Love bees wax, and am a big supporter of local bee keepers (we get some very very good stuff here).
I wish we could. Our local bees died out in some sort of disease here and it is hard to find real beeswax. It seems like the beeswax sells for lots more than honey, so it is hard to buy a jar with the comb still in it (my favorite way to get beeswax) nowadays. :(