Slightly OT: need help with whistle Christmas ornament

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Slightly OT: need help with whistle Christmas ornament

Post by jen f »

Every year, I get a new Christmas ornament to add to my collection. This year, I thought it would be cool to have a tiny tinwhistle on my tree, since this is the year I started playing whistle. Does anyone know of a very tiny whistle? It doesn't have to be real; a miniature or ornament would be great. I'm not even sure where to look.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

A Generation F whistle is pretty small, maybe 2/3 the size of a D. Small enough?

Other than that, you might check Lark in the Morning - I remember they had a lot of instrument-shaped ornaments, but can't recall if that included a whistle.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I believe that Copeland still sells JessieK's little silver whistles. It might be a bit small for a tree, but it is small (2" long?)

Erik
Kuranes

Post by Kuranes »

DCrom wrote:A Generation F whistle is pretty small, maybe 2/3 the size of a D. Small enough?
The G is smaller :) There's a place around here that has a bunch of them that they never seem to be able to sell. I wonder why....
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Kuranes wrote:
DCrom wrote:A Generation F whistle is pretty small, maybe 2/3 the size of a D. Small enough?
The G is smaller :) There's a place around here that has a bunch of them that they never seem to be able to sell. I wonder why....
Yes, a G is smaller. Guess I was fixated on an F since a local store has them, but no G. Small enough to be unplayable for me - and I have medium-sized male hands. For me, an Eb is about the practical limit.

How long IS a G, anyway - about 8 inches end-to-end?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The Generatiion G is about 8 15/16 inches.

Ron
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Jen, what about something the size of a keyring? Jessie has her whistle jewelry and keyrings for sale over at Whistle and Drum:

http://www.whistleanddrum.com/Irish%20T ... welry.html

It's supposed to be about 2 inches long, so it might be a little too tiny to show up on the tree... what do you think?

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
jen f

Post by jen f »

Thanks, everybody, those are great suggestions!
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

DCrom wrote: There's a place around here that has a bunch of them that they never seem to be able to sell. I wonder why....
Hey DCrom, what store sells Gen whistles around these parts? I know that World of Music in Cupertino occasionally has them - not the last time I was there though. Where else? I was calling around the other day and struck out......
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

LimuHead wrote:
DCrom wrote: There's a place around here that has a bunch of them that they never seem to be able to sell. I wonder why....
Hey DCrom, what store sells Gen whistles around these parts? I know that World of Music in Cupertino occasionally has them - not the last time I was there though. Where else? I was calling around the other day and struck out......
You got it one - I was thinking of World of Music. They had several last time I was in (a few months back). They also had several C Sweetones but no D Sweetones, and what looked like an older-model Howard Low D. They had a fair amount (ie, at least some!) of tinwhistle music books and tutorials, too. My default is "check WoM - if they don't have it, order from The Whistle Shop".

If all else fails, you could probably hit Lark In The Morning in SF - I plan to swing by next time I'm up there, even if they are a bit overpriced.

Back on-topic for this thread, I see that the Serpent (www.serpentmusic.com) is offering a special "Christmas" version of the Brassy Polly (candy-cane paint job?) that would look nice on a tree - check the Serpent thread for details.
Paul

Post by Paul »

aderyn_du wrote:Jen, what about something the size of a keyring? Jessie has her whistle jewelry and keyrings for sale over at Whistle and Drum:

http://www.whistleanddrum.com/Irish%20T ... welry.html

It's supposed to be about 2 inches long, so it might be a little too tiny to show up on the tree... what do you think?

Best,
Andrea
I've got one of Jessie's whistle pendants. It is a very nice piece of jewelry, but would not make a suitable ornament. it is too tiny for that. You wouldn't really be able to see it.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

That's what I wasn't sure of Paul... I wonder if the keyring ones are the same size as the necklace ones? I saw the 2" measurement for the keyring, but didn't see a measurement for the ones specified for necklaces. Two inches might be a little bit on the small side for an ornament, but I do have some that are about that size. :)

Jessie, could you clarify on size?

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I say get 50 of them (Jessie's) and decorate the entire tree with them!
Fenguin

Post by Fenguin »

You might want to keep an eye on this topic.
I have new Christmas whistles, including a candy-cane decoration whistle, suitable for hanging on the tree, or playing. Key of D. Pictures will be on my website by tomorrow morning.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Would an Octave above High-D suffice?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D