OT: Protest against the slaughter of dolphins in Japan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

I suppose the outrage is because these dolphins are porpoise (sea mammals like Flipper) rather than dolphin fish (like mahi mahi). Why be so selective?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm not selective at all. Killing a dolphin is as bad as killing a fish, pig, ant, or person in my opinion. Not needed.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Cranberry wrote:I'm not selective at all. Killing a dolphin is as bad as killing a fish, pig, ant, or person in my opinion. Not needed.
That sure was a quick response, Cran.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The video of that incident was shown on television here, a group of dolphins was driven into a small bay hacked to bits, it was more than disgusting. And yes, it's extra disgusting because they are dolphins, intelligent animals and because of the way how it was done, cutting live animals with a sense of selfawareness to bits.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Ridseard
That sure was a quick response, Cran.
It was, wasn't it? Hmm..
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Just a few thoughts..

A good chunk of the land used for grazing is used as such because it's not quite up to snuff for farming.

I don't see anything wrong with raising sheep for wool. It grows back.

If all our clothes were of synthetic material, aren't the chemicals involved pretty nasty things too?

There's my two cents, don't spend it all at once. :wink:
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I am a meat-eater, and an unapologetic one at that.

That said, I think when a life is taken, it always needs to be in a quick and humane way, with a minimum of suffering.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ peeplj
That said, I think when a life is taken, it always needs to be in a quick and humane way, with a minimum of suffering.
Quick, mabey. But many many millions of animals are killed and suffer for long periods of time in the US, before they are chopped and packaged as food for people to eat. There is nothing humane about it.

You (meaning anyone, not peeplj in particular) can say you support painless death for animals but when you go to the grocery store and buy hamburger or go to pizza hut, you're doing exactly the opposite. I feel that's just a very cliché cop-out. You're simply contributing to a larger culture of death to satiate your tastes buds for the moment.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

But what about the plants. Don't they have feelings too? Come on, it is in all the research. What are we supposed to eat now?

Besides, we are omnivours. I don't know why I ever respond to these threads, they are rediculous.

Yes, the way they animals were harvested was pathetic. The use of them perfectly acceptable, if for food.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
nickname2

Post by nickname2 »

You should compose a protest song on the whistle...that would be neat.
Whistle while you work...
...just try not to get fired
Jack

Post by Jack »

Plants don't have central nervous systems that allow them to feel pain. Cows do. People do. Pigs do. Chickens do.

Plants don't cry or mourn the loss of their family members. Cows do. Dogs do. Dolphins most certainly do.

Plants don't have a face. :roll:

If you can't distinguish between an animal and a plant....uh....nevermind. You can.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

NorCalMusician wrote:But what about the plants. Don't they have feelings too? Come on, it is in all the research. What are we supposed to eat now?

Besides, we are omnivours. I don't know why I ever respond to these threads, they are rediculous.

Yes, the way they animals were harvested was pathetic. The use of them perfectly acceptable, if for food.
Remember the reports a while back that "murderous" dolphins were killing the porpoises in a certain area, in the British Isles?
Reasonable person
Walden
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Cranberry wrote:Plants don't have central nervous systems that allow them to feel pain.
I don't know... I've certainly felt something very akin to pain radiating from plants and trees that have been mistreated. Enough to bring tears to my eyes and pain to my heart. Plants may not have central nervous systems as humans and other animals do, but they do feel pain. That's why it's best to treat everything you eat (or don't eat) with respect and honor.

My tuppence,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Jack

Post by Jack »

Come here, Andrea, I want to eat you.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

:really: I don't quite know how to take that one, Cran. :o