Help! Ideas for Whistle CD's for Christmas List

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help! Ideas for Whistle CD's for Christmas List

Post by NancyF »

Maybe you are in this situation: my parents are demanding a Christmas hint list and if I don't give them one soon, I'll get a tablecloth and new sheets from Santa.

I haven't bought any whistle CDs in several years and my collection is seriously outdated. Any suggestions for traditional or folk music of any genre featuring whistles or their ethnic relatives (not r******* or low whistle) issued in the last few years?

What are your favorites and why? How would you describe the CD?

Thank you for saving me from the tablecloth!

NancyF
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

Some ideas....

Feadoga Stain, Feadoga Stain 2 : Mary Bergin
A Whistle on the Wind, Song of the Irish Whistle, Song of the Irish Whistle 2: Joanie Madden
Tin Whistles : Paddy Moloney & Sean Potts
The Irish Low Whistle : Joe Mckenna
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Thank you for a nice list. I have those, but others may not. Anything new out there? I'd take groups that have whistling on their CD too.

NancyF
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

NancyF wrote:Thank you for a nice list. I have those, but others may not. Anything new out there? I'd take groups that have whistling on their CD too.

NancyF
Will you accept flute? I find as much to interest me (and want to learn) in good flute music as in whistle-only recordings.

If you don't have them, let me heartily recommend the "Wooden Flute Obsession" set. Cathal McConnell's "Long Expectant Comes at Last" CD, and Catherine McEvoy's "Traditional Flute Music in the Sligo-Roscommon Style"

I'm listening to the McEvoy CD as I type this; if I ever can play with half fluidity and feeling she brings out I'll be thrilled.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Insist that they get you the King Kwela CD by Spokes Mashiyane. That ought to keep them busy...
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Although I have picked up some really good finds at Music Wherehouse, just so they know that most of these suggestions are not going to be found sitting on the shelf at Best Buy.......

Mary
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I second the Spokes Mishiyane, probably the only classic kwela CD freely available at the moment—a very sad situation.

Best whistle heavy CD released recently would be Pipeline by Dermot Hyde and Tom Hake and now with a US distributer. Hake plays guitar and 'zouk while Hyde plays whistles (and pipes when he's being Dr. Jekyll). This is a moving and beautiful CD a class above Lunasa and Flook and the like if you are looking just for beautiful, funny, haunting uncontrived whistle music.

Oh, if you don't have them already, the Lunasa and Flook CDs are very good (if a bit overarranged for ITM purists) and Kate Rusby's 'Sleepless' features some fine whistle playing but always secondary to her vocals. There is also a McSherry and McGoldrick CD whose name escapes me but is well worth getting.
Liam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Re: Help! Ideas for Whistle CD's for Christmas List

Post by Liam »

NancyF wrote:Maybe you are in this situation: my parents are demanding a Christmas hint....
Actually I already had something to tell my parents... :) The Paddy O'Brian Tune collection, but that is mostly for Box players.
I haven't bought any whistle CDs in several years and my collection is seriously outdated. Any suggestions for traditional or folk music of any genre featuring whistles or their ethnic relatives (not r******* or low whistle) issued in the last few years?
You might want to check out www.celticgrooves.com... they have their CDs broken out by group and by instrument so all the albums that feature tin-whistle or tin-whistle and another insturment (an awful lot of flutes) are in their own category.

--
Bill
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Why wouldn't the Paddy O'Brian collection be appropriate for all instruments? I know I've looked at it greedily in the past...
mcfeeley

Post by mcfeeley »

Tin Whistles, Paddy Maloney & Sean Potts is a good one. There's also L.E. McCullough's Feadanista.

-- Dan M.
Stan

Post by Stan »

You might suggest "The Winding Road" by Martina Bree, a nice selection of tunes played on Generation D and C whistles. The best price I noticed was at Andy's Front Hall.
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

Gavin Whelan's - Traditional Irish Music
Mick O'Brien's - The May Morning Dew (mostly piping, but great whistle)
Carmel Gunning - The Lakes of Sligo
Mike & Mary Rafferty - The Old Fireside Music (box, flute and whistle)
mcfeeley

Post by mcfeeley »

Almost forgot this must-have -- Micho Russell, Ireland's Whistling Ambassador.

-- Dan M.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I recently heard a little bit of a track by Sarah Bauhan, and then discovered this:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/sarahbauhan.htm

Highly recommended!

Carol
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Wombat wrote:Oh, if you don't have them already, the Lunasa and Flook CDs are very good (if a bit overarranged for ITM purists) and Kate Rusby's 'Sleepless' features some fine whistle playing but always secondary to her vocals. There is also a McSherry and McGoldrick CD whose name escapes me but is well worth getting.
I second Flook and Lunasa. The McSherry/McGoldrick album's name is "At First Light" and is indeed well worth getting (great whistling and piping). I also really like Fred Morrison's "Up South": again, primarily pipes but great low whistling as well.