advice on playing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andyjc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

advice on playing

Post by andyjc »

hi,just brought myself a kerry low d,at 37 guess its better late then never...
just wonder if i could get any advice about playing :-? all i seem 2 b getting is a sound between a kettle boiling and a recorder! yikess
hope u can help coolllll site andy
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Eh...
You just started playing? Or did you play soprano whistles before?
It's a bit strange to start out with a low D.
And it's a big area to cover. Was there some particular aspect about playing you wanted advice on? For a start however, try to get a steady stream of air, not to hard or the sound will brake. And ensure that you cover all the holes properly (if you want to cover them). If there is a slight leak somewhere the sound is likely to brake.
andyjc

advice on playing

Post by andyjc »

hi thks 4 getting back 2 me ..well i played other woodwind instruments when younger,and wanted something that sounded lower then a standard whistle so went 4 the low d ...but iam having trouble making it come out low it sounds very airy and goes between high and low thks andy
Henke

Post by Henke »

The low whistles are beasts to play. Check out this sites low whistle guide for tips on proper posture and grips and so on. I think your problem at this stage is breath controll and hole covering, but if you work on that it should result in a steady, pure sound. Try blowing it without covering any holes as well.

It would probably be a good idea to get a soprano whistle as well.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I am barely ahead of you on my low whistle learning curve, but I found it took about a week for my fingers to have found their places on the whistle for piper's grip. Now, a few weeks later I'm still working hard at improving hole coverage. Not easy on a low whistle with big holes. Another big issue has been how to blow. With the low D, much more than with a soprano whistle, I have to make sure that the bore is filled fully, and consistently...and that can take a lot of air. It didn't do to try to play quietly and discreetly. You've got to experiment with your manner of filling the whistle with air to get a feel for octave changes. The high octave seems to require a harder faster stream, whereas the lowest notes prefer lots of air but at a slower velocity, and that takes a different mouth shape. Like I said, you have to experiment. Also, if you're getting a hiss or nothing, you may need to shake, rinse, or try one of the soap-based windway treatments you'll find referenced in some of these threads.
Zubivka

Re: advice on playing

Post by Zubivka »

andyjc wrote:hi,just brought myself a kerry low d,at 37 guess its better late then never...
just wonder if i could get any advice about playing :-? all i seem 2 b getting is a sound between a kettle boiling and a recorder! yikess
hope u can help coolllll site andy
Don't ya wucking furry! I was ten years older than you are when starting. Like--better late than toytally dead...
The Kerry low sounded like a Kawasaki triple on warm-up. It still does, in fact, but I grew to like that two-stroke piston rings sound. Break-in time? :D

And I still blame all my gray hair on the same tube. To take it positively, it looks very distinguished, too.

Just work on it (the Kerry, not the gray hair), and let's talk back about it (the gray hair, as well) in a few months. :wink:
It's true: I read it on Internet.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The first low D I ever had was one I made myself (also the first whistle I ever made...)

I now have a Kerry Pro Low D...
So: I do not understand the complaints people make about being able to cover holes, it taking time to be able to make your fingers go where they are supposed to and etc...

My low D has a huge finger stretch. I mean HUGE (homemade, not Kerry) while the kerry has a not so bad one.
The first time I played it, (not tuned it) I had no problem covering the holes, and within a week was playing jigs and hornpipes on it. At speed. (I still dont play reels fast on anything -- almost 3 years later...) The kerry feels like a high D compared to the stretch.

It CAN be done! Just keep playing. (My fingers aren't big, long or very wide)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Definitely, get a high D and get comfortable on that before you seriously tackle the low one. It won't take all that long. If you're just starting whistling, the low D has additional issues such as finicky breath control and finger reach that you really don't need to be adding to the learning curve right at the beginning.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Henke

Post by Henke »

Paul makes a very good point here. Besides, the high D won't have to cost more than a tenth of the cost of your low D. Get one to learn the fingering system and so on. You might even start to love the soprano whistles.
emmline

Post by emmline »

NicoMoreno wrote:The first low D I ever had was one I made myself (also the first whistle I ever made...)

I now have a Kerry Pro Low D...
So: I do not understand the complaints people make about being able to cover holes, it taking time to be able to make your fingers go where they are supposed to and etc...

My low D has a huge finger stretch. I mean HUGE (homemade, not Kerry) while the kerry has a not so bad one.
The first time I played it, (not tuned it) I had no problem covering the holes, and within a week was playing jigs and hornpipes on it. At speed. (I still dont play reels fast on anything -- almost 3 years later...) The kerry feels like a high D compared to the stretch.

It CAN be done! Just keep playing. (My fingers aren't big, long or very wide)
Ok, well Nico...you must be the genetic prototype for fingers upon which the standard low whistle is based! :wink: I guess it shouldn't surprise me, as hard a time as I have finding shoes that fit, that my hands would fall outside the norm as well...but I'm improving...it just ain't easy!
andyjc

Post by andyjc »

hi...thks for all getting back to me..i think like most things it will b a case of pratice makes perfect..i dont have any problems with the covering of the holes i have big hands :D so i think it more to do with the breath control side anyway thks for all getting back to me andy
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

Hello andyjc,

Don't feel bad!
I'm just starting & I'll be 45 in January! :o
I got a high D first & I'm starting to get it!
I just bought a low G & low D (hope to get them from Mack soon!)
I was advised to start with a F or G low whistle first.
Play it, then go to the low D.
That's what I'm going to do!
Treasach
cj

Post by cj »

Welcome! I was around 35 when I started. You'll find a group of folks here who don't feel that age is a limit to enjoying music or much else for that matter!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

44, meself. Been playing the high D for about 2 months, and just bought a Shaw Low D (yes, I have WhOA)...

For the first two days I thought I'd been sold a complete pup with the Shaw low D. All I could hear was air rushing from the windway and the faintest undercurrent of a tone...

Perseverance is the key. Two weeks later the Shaw sounds like a flute. The fact that I can't play my flute either is down to me, not the instrument! Actually, that's not quite true any more...I have a handful of tunes that I've worked on relentlessly over the past 8 weeks, and three of 'em sound pretty good now, even on the low D. Hornpipes, the three of 'em.

Plus, my Shaw high D, which I once detested with a passion as being an unplayable wind-sucking beast from the nether reaches of the slough of despond, now sounds sweet as a nut and is fast becoming something of a real joy to play...all thanks to the Low D.

Oh, and it seems to me that the Shaw low D needs a bit of 'warming up' for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes before it really starts sounding the way I think it should sound.

Keep at it, nice and slow. These things take a bit of time :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
andyjc

low books

Post by andyjc »

hi thks for the replys ive just ordered the book low whistle so iam hoping that,gives some pointers....iam guessing u can use any of the tutor books even if there 4 standard d tin whistles?anyway ive got a good feeling about this instrument and this site all seems wayyy to cool :lol: andy