extremely quiet whistle (and the meaning of quiet)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Daniel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

extremely quiet whistle (and the meaning of quiet)

Post by Daniel »

Hi. I just got into whistle playing, last Saturday actually (Nov 15). So I'm a complete newbie. I play a little piano (minored in that in college), and decided I wanted to try a new instrument.

Anyway, I went out and bought a Generation, soprano D whistle (figured that was pretty standard), and it was when I got home and started blowing that my first obstacle hit me (and I'm still trying to overcome it). I live in an apartment, where it's not uncommon to hear the alarm clock of the next-door or upstairs neighbor. I usually play a digital piano with headphones, so it's never been a big problem, but I realized I wouldn't be able to play the whistle without annoying the neighbors (I also happen to be really shy, and I really hate to annoy people, since I don't like being annoyed myself). So I began my search for a way to quiet down my whistle, or get one that is very quiet, so that I can play confidently without fear of being annoying.

I searched the web, including this site which was recommended to me by a whistler. I found lots of home-grown techniques for muffling a whistle, but none of those have been satisfactory (paper-clips, poster-putty, tape, etc.) I have also seen info and recommendations for quiet whistles (Hoover, Parkhurst, Alba Q1, Sweetone, Feadog tweaked by O'Briain, etc), although of course I haven't tried those since it's only been a week. I did however get a whitecap + Generation D from Mack Hoover [who seems to be a really great guy BTW]. I think that seems to be a bit quieter (and probably sounds nicer than my original one), but it made me wonder if my definition of quiet and the quiet that everyone else is talking about are the same thing. (By the way, I've also ordered a tweaked Sweetone from the Whistle Shop, but haven't received that yet... maybe it will be very quiet...)

What I'd really like is a whistle that is, say, maybe about as loud as (or quieter than) my TV set (which I suppose by whistle standards is extremely quiet, not just quiet). But also something that sounds really good and is relatively easy to play for a beginner, not too touchy jumping between octaves. It can be chiffy or sweet sounding, I'm not too picky at this point. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a soprano D.

Can anyone recommend a solution to my problem (preferably not a home-grown whistle modification, such as poster putty)? Are any of the above whistles that I mentioned "extremely" quiet (or can be made-to-order as extremely quiet, or easily modified as extremely quiet)? I actually don't mind spending extra if I can get a really quiet and good whistle, but at the same time, I don't want to blindly throw money around until I find what I need (and if I don't find it... I'll likely just go back to the piano :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Daniel
eran
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eran »

it would be a great thing if there was a whistle u can plug earphones to and play to your self.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Daniel, Call Mack Hoover and ask him about his Narrow Bore D. That's what you want. It is a really nice sweet sounding whistle that simply plays very quietly. It's perfect for what you want to do. He made me one with a green corian fipple plug.

Slán go fóill,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Oh, and welcome to C&F! :) You'll learn a lot here and have fun too. Good to have you around.

Slán agus bannanas,
Paul
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I second the Hoover recommendation. Just tell him your requirements and he'll make what you need. Plus he is a great person to do business with.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My Laughing Whistle is VERY quiet- I can play it in the same room with other people and not irritate them too much. It's also VERY pure in tone, and in tune so is pleasing to the ear. The icing on the cake is that it is also collapsable so you can take it anywhere! :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Laughing's are great. Very sweet sound and a bit of chiff. In my book though, Hoovers are better. I like the playability of Mack's whistles much more myself. And Mack is also able to deliver a much more customized instrument for your particular needs. Ask him about his arrow shaft whistles if you want quiet. I don't think you can hear then outside of a three and a half foot radius of the fipple! (well, ok, perhaps a slight exaggeration - but ONLY slight)

Give Mack a call. You'll both be happy you did! :)

B~
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Alba Q1 model might be what you're after.
Quiet - ish and stylish too.

Use the search thingy at the top right of the page.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

A good trick to learn (although difficult for a beginner) is to blow over the top of the fipple (instead of through the airway). This makes an almost inaudible, breathy sound that -- provided you have a little imagination -- sounds like the whistle. I'm not sure I'd want to use it as my standard method of practice, but it's handy for situations like practicing a tune to yourself in a session or a class, etc.

-- Scott
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I use a similar trick. I touch the whistle with my lower lip leaving about an eighth of an inch of space, sort of blowing around the entrance instead of into it. This makes a pleasing but audible tone. Each brand of whistle requires a different separation, but I find it easy enough to find. I use it in an office cubicle environment and no one can hear. The downside to this technique is that the upper register doesn't sound like the upper register. And I agree, regular volume is much preferred for practice, so it sounds like a Hoover is the hands down recommendation.
+ Bill
srt19170 wrote:A good trick to learn (although difficult for a beginner) is to blow over the top of the fipple (instead of through the airway). This makes an almost inaudible, breathy sound that -- provided you have a little imagination -- sounds like the whistle. I'm not sure I'd want to use it as my standard method of practice, but it's handy for situations like practicing a tune to yourself in a session or a class, etc.

-- Scott
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

(wondering why there is a specific request not to get homegrown fixes)

I played a Gen at night in a hospital, and couldn't be heard outside my room, simply by putting a piece of tape over most of the windway, from side to side, across where the blade cuts the air flow.

I played a Gen in a house with a light sleeper by simply taking a piece of reviled poster putty and smushing it down on the blade. No tact or subtlty involved, just cram it on and play. I've done the same with a wad of unchewed gum....Juicy Fruit if I recall...half a slice folded to the appropriate dimension and pressed into place.

Both of these mods were instantly and completely reversible.

While I find the Hoover a nice enough instrument, it clogged unmercifully for me, it costs a lot more than a Gen and you learn a whole different breath control than is appropriate for playing a 'normal' instrument at normal volume. That may not be an issue for you.
Last edited by Tyghress on Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

On the lower notes of the second octave, you can open the topmost tonehole just a tiny crack to make it easier to play those notes with less volume. This rule usually works with any whistle. The pressure drop in the middle of the whistle helps the octave to form easier.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, everyone, for all the tips.
Tyghress wrote:I played a Gen at night in a hospital, and couldn't be heard outside my room, simply by putting a piece of tape over most of the windway, from side to side, across where the blade cuts the air flow.
I hadn't thought to put tape across the windway horizontally, parallel to the edge of the blade. So I tried it. If I cover up too much of the windway, it's pretty much like air whistling (blowing across the top): it's really really quiet, but only the first octave works; if I cover it so that the edge of the tape is just in line with the edge of the blade, it works surprisingly well: I get both octaves, it's much quieter than normal, but the volume is still loud enough to be satisfying; the downside is that it sounds very "reedy". So, although it would be OK from time to time, it's probably not something I'd like all the time. But that was definitely a good tip.... [I should note that I did this with a Hoover whitecap on a Gen D barrel; I'm sure things must work differently on different whistles...]

I'm currently looking into one of Mack's whistles, so we'll see where that leads....

Thanks!!

Daniel
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I should note one more thing that I just noticed about the tape trick described above. I used about a 1.5" piece of masking tape, and stuck it on with the ends still hanging off the sides like wings. I then stuck it all down around the mouthpiece, and noticed that it reverted to the "air whistling" sound (extremely quiet, only first octave works). Then I noticed that if I pull the tape up a bit, and make sure there is a tiny bit of space between it and the mouthpiece, right where edge of the tape is parallel to the edge of the blade... then I get more volume and both octaves work (but sound is reedy). Hope that makes sense. (A little finicky getting it to work, but it works...)

Daniel
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

wow, i've only been at it for 10 days... and after reading more of the message board... i realize that I'm already suffering from WhOA :-) it's kindof an interesting phenomenon...