Planxty, The Third Coming

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cayden

Planxty, The Third Coming

Post by Cayden »

The rumours had been bouncing around the grapevine for nearly a year that Andy Irvine and Christy Moore were makign a push to re-live old glories but it has been on the news tonight so it's official. Planxty has re-grouped and will do a series of six concerts in Dublin and two more in Ennis early next year.

I saw them on the After the Break tour in 1979 with Matt Molloy joining them and they were brilliant then, looking forward to seeing them again.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

With airfares to Shannon from Boston as low as $250 roundtrip between now and March, it might be worth flying over for one of those concerts just to catch a bit of history.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, wow. How I long to see one of those shows.... Will they get Donal Lunny or Johnny Monihan, and Liam O?
/Bloomfield
djm

Post by djm »

An album! An album! We're going to get an album (spread the rumour :wink: ). There's going to be an album and ... oh, and a video, too ... yes, yes ... and ... and .... and a North American tour. You bet! Count on it! :boggle:

djm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's the original line up, Moore, Lunny, Irvine and Flynn. If things went well there would be a live album and a video, they said.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

How many of y'all own the Planxty EP Timescape, I think it's called... Dreamscape...some kind of scape or dream/time, anyway. It's pretty rare.
Good they're having another go.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Timedance actually Kevin, they did it for Eurovison with Bill Whelan, ten, fifteen years later someone thought 'let's do something like that again hmmm....maybe call it ...Riverdance'
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I own an old copy of "Timedance," Kevin. Bought it for no more than five bucks down at Logos Used Bookstore in lovely Santa Cruz, CA.

When I first stuck it on the record player, Liam's pipes sounded like a freakin' alphorn. I was sittin' there thinkin' "Jeeeeeeeezus! I didn't know they made flat pipes THAT flat!!!" Took me about a minute to figure out that the record was a 45 and I had the player set to 33 and a 1/3...
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

On Andy Irvine web page "Planxty re-union gig" read it on http://www.andyirvine.com/journal-22mar02.html
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

Oooh, a live album would be verrry nice indeed for those of us who can't travel to concerts... *hopes*
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The tickets for the Glor concerts will go on sale on saturday.

I also the ridiculously low specials Aer Lingus has at the minute [I spotted Shannon-LA one way for 135 euro, seriously cheap that].

Overall there seems to be a sudden upsurge of reunion concerts, only very recently Stockton's Wing played gigs in Ennis and on the 29th the all women Macalla will be playing in Tulla. Having seen all these bands in their earlier incarnations twenty years ago I am starting to feel sort of old now.
djm

Post by djm »

Peter, as long as your fingers and elbows still work, it isn't too bad. :D

djm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I didn't exactly do an overnight sleepingbag job in the car in the Glor car park but it wasn't that I didn't get there in time. There was a huge amount of people waiting, one of my young piping pupils came up to tell his mom was half way up and she'd be happy to get me tickets a bit quicker. Great. I took my place in the row anyhow. After an hour or two waiting and after progressing maybe a third up, tickets ran out for both concerts. Feck.
They are trying to them to do a third concert and they took the names of the people waiting s owe get in first.
Last edited by Cayden on Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

fergus.maunsell wrote:On Andy Irvine web page "Planxty re-union gig" read it on http://www.andyirvine.com/journal-22mar02.html
Thanks for that link fergus, that was a good read about Andy's life. I use to see him around quite a bit when he first came to Portland, Oregon, but never read much about how all the bands came and went.
glands

Post by glands »

Peter, I take it that you did not get tix...perhaps you should write and inquire as to their plans for photodocumentation...might be a job in in for you and a chance to get into the concerts.

I'll be heading to Dublin in Feb to attend one of these concerts. Great opportunity to see some of the more influential "latter day" musicians in one place at the same time. Also, looking forward to piping lessons with three of my favorite pipers/instructors....still ironing out the details.