First low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bjs »

Is it better to start with a low D whistle?
Or start with a low F whistle then get a low D later (whistle of better quality)?
I started with a Susato low F then bought a Dixon low D. The finger stretch is not much different. After a few weeks I got the hang of the pipers grip and I hardly ever touch the Susato now. I love the low bell note on the Dixon. It is fairly quiet and takes very little breath. Couldn't play anything fast on it, but then that would go for any low D I expect.

This topic has been done to death before of course. eg
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Brian
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I have a Dixon low D Duo, and like it well enough (easy to play, moderate hand stretch, quiet) but it's almost too quiet for my taste, and the low D and E are noticably weak.

Nice for late-night playing, especially slow airs. Not really suited to even slow jigs or hornpipes, though. You *can* play it faster with the flute head, and it has a LOT more volume that way; perhaps because of this I almost never play it as a whistle any more, even though I'm a more skilled whistler than flutist.

But I play my Serpent Low F all the time. Takes a minute or two to warm up, but then it's stable all night. Solid bell note, lovely voice, very even volume across two octaves. And as easy to play high-whistle style as using piper's grip (I have medium-size male hands). Had a chance to do a direct comparison with a couple of Overton Low F whistles a couple of weeks back (SF get-together) and thought that it stood up pretty well to that competition (that is, I wanted one of EACH :D instead of a trade).

But the trade-off is cost - a Serpent costs twice what a Susato or Dixon does. (If only about half the cost of an Overton). I think a good whistle like an Overton, Burke, or Serpent is well worth it if you're serious (or just need some volume). If you don't need the volume, the Dixons are decent whistles (and I'd choose a low Dixon over a low Susato).
Last edited by DCrom on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Don: Are you referring to a Low D re the Alba whistle? How easy is it to finger (piper, that is) in terms of hole size, and is clogging much of an issue. I'm asking because I have loads of ongoing trouble with my bony fingers and my Overton, which also is very given to moisture problems.
don

Post by don »

The Alba Low "D" has a reasonable reach (using the pipers grip) and an absolutely fantastic tone.

If you want to hear an Alba low whistle played quickly try this link
http://www.tinwhistler.com/misc/samples/alba_beer.mpg

Its the Wandering whistler playing a short clip on the Alba Low D tour.

Not only does Greg play a mean tune, he also did a good review of this whistle in this link:
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... .php?t=564

Other impressions of the Alba Low D are here:
http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... .php?t=584

It has a beautiful tone. Plus it's a delightful instrument. It even makes me sound pretty good. And I have no problems with moisture
Last edited by don on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:Don: Are you referring to a Low D re the Alba whistle? How easy is it to finger (piper, that is) in terms of hole size, and is clogging much of an issue. I'm asking because I have loads of ongoing trouble with my bony fingers and my Overton, which also is very given to moisture problems.
Overton moisture problem: warm the whistle well and blow as hard as you can without losing the tone.
/Bloomfield
riasgt

Post by riasgt »

I'm going out apparently solo here.

I have a Susato low D and have enjoyed it. Cost was/is a factor. I don't have a problem with the reach. I have long fingers and before I learned about the pipers grip -which I now use all the time with the Low D- I played it fingertip style without too much effort.

I would love to own a a higher end Low D, but for now, until I have the cash and find the right whistle, I'm happy with what I currently have.
the Susato Low D looks tacky and has that ermm Susato sound which is an acquired taste
Not having anything to compare the "ermm sound" to, could someone explain the short comings of the Susato whistles?

BTW- the low D is the only Susato I own.
-David
"I'll be right back" -Godot
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have only heard one Susato whistle, and it was a low D. It did not sound "ermm" too awfully bad to me. Sounded different than my Overton (I would have been really disappointed if it did not) but it did not sound horrible either. I actually have a Susato Low D on the way and would be more than happy to do a comparison when it arrives.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NorCalMusician wrote:I have only heard one Susato whistle, and it was a low D. It did not sound "ermm" too awfully bad to me. Sounded different than my Overton (I would have been really disappointed if it did not) but it did not sound horrible either. I actually have a Susato Low D on the way and would be more than happy to do a comparison when it arrives.
The one at the San Pablo get-together, wasn't it? I didn't think it sounded bad, but thought it sounded no better than my Dixon, and was more of an effort on reach. Much better than *no* low whistle, and and OK value for the money, but it didn't grab me, either.

I preferred the sound of your Overton to either, and found the Overton actually *easier* to play than the Dixon, so the Susato might have suffered by comparison.

Still trying to decide if I'll take up flute seriously - if not, I'll probably end up with a higher quality Low D like Overton, Alba, or Serpent.

I'm thinking seriously about getting a Susato Low G just to try out the key, though - the reach there is small enough that the odd spacing shouldn't be so much an issue, and by reputation they have stronger bell note than the Dixons often do.
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

Hello to all,

After reading all of the posts.

I've decided to order:

3/4" CPVC Hoover Low G
3/4" CPVC Hoover Low D

I think that these will take care of my whistle needs.
Thanks to all of you for your help in this matter!!
Treasach
bjs

Post by bjs »

Re Susato low F and Dixon low D. Just been playing them both. The susato needs much more breath pressure to get the second octave, I didn't like it at all after the Dixon.

Brian
elendil

Post by elendil »

Would you mind reviewing your new Hoovers when you get them? I have a Hoover Bb that I'm very pleased with and I was thinking of offering one of my sons a choice off language tapes or a Hoover low whistle for Christmas. Most people seem to like them (the Hoovers).
elendil
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

Hello elendil,
I would be glad to review my new Hoover whistles as soon as I get them.
Treasach
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Thanks to what I read on this thread about Mack Hoover's low whistles, I just placed an order! Appreciate folks chiming in with their recommendations and opinions. Now all I have to do is wait for my new low whistle (easier said than done).