Pulsing & Glottal Triplets: a 6-flute comparison

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Ok, I inadvertently was trying to define 'guts' and 'adversity' at the same time :). 'Guts' to me means facing adversity and your fears (however irrational they may be). I guess just don't agree that putting tunes up for people's listening pleasure/criticizm is a 'pussy' or 'chicken sh*t' thing to do.

Regards,
- Ryan
rama wrote:Ryan,

I think I said facing adversity (not irrational fears). Think about my previous post in its entirety, grasshopper.
I got to get to work right now, but I'll be back later.

r
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Azalin wrote:Just a quick note to show my support for Gordon's comments, I agree with him completely.
Hey what are you doing? You're not supposed to do that. Agreeing with Gordon is just so passé
:wink:
Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Eldarion wrote:
Azalin wrote:Just a quick note to show my support for Gordon's comments, I agree with him completely.
Hey what are you doing? You're not supposed to do that. Agreeing with Gordon is just so passé
I, for one, happen to know that Gordon often has no idea what he's going to say until he types it. That said, I often agree with him.

Gordon
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I totaly disagree............................

Tom

Did I spell that wrong?
I guess I`m just not very scholarly or responsible for that matter. But I have done a lot of things in my life, just not very scholarly things.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Eldarion wrote:
Hey Eld, I agree with you, too!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Ryan,

Please let me clarify (once again).

Glauber has the best defintion of guts I ever saw, way better than mine.

I said a pussy like me can post a clip (actually I don't know how to post a clip so I lied)

The "chicken sh*t" is referring to the "daring" of others.

Posting sound clips without all the hype of "disclaimers", "case study" analysis of "advanced technique", and impending melodrama is cool. (Jessie did and it was very cool). Very simple thing to do.
All that other stuff IMHO really does invite controversy by its very nature(IMHO case studies on technique are to be reviewed, digested and dissected), so when the inviter challenges others, I say whoa they brought it on themselves. Not a good scene. Very uncool.

If anybody on this forum would like to post a sound clip but is "Afraid", or have other personal fears about it (rational or irrational), then I can assure you that you have my support and encouragement and alliance. I'm sure many other members would do the same.

But if one wants to play "games".... then I just might play.

happt toots
r
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

gotcha ;)

- Ryan
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Cool! :)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To those who have expressed their support and especially to those who have leaped to my defense, I would like to express my gratitude. You are the folks that make taking a little heat worthwhile.

As for many of the other posts, I can only express puzzlement. The purpose of these little experiments was never to offend anyone, and as for the "scientific" format of this last comparison, it was an attempt--which evidentally failed--to add a little self-mocking humor to the whole thing, since in the past the comparisons had also drawn acidic comments from a few. I'm sorry that was misunderstood. I'm not a research scientist, and evidentally not very good at self-parody, either.

If anyone feels they have any issues with me, I am always open to emails or private messages. I had rather attempt to resolve any issues but unfortunately I'm not sure it is possible in every case--still, if you just PM me, I'm open to discussion.

As far as it taking guts to post recordings on this board, the comment stands--now, in spades. I think this thread has proven the validity of that sentiment in a most eloquent way.

--James Peeples
rama

Post by rama »

Hey James,

I just spent the day figuring out how to record on my PC. I spent about 1 hour laying down some tracks, about 20 tunes, no rehearsals, and plenty of mistakes. If you are willing to teach or show how to load them on the board here I'l be glad to it. You can even pick the tunes if theres too many. Or I might even offer to play a tune of your choice, just for you.
Any tunes come to mind?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Rama,

I'm assuming you've recorded them in .wav format...if it's another format like .au, it really doesn't matter, as long as the MP3 encoder you use can handle the format.

I use a program called Goldwave, and the actual MP3 encoder is a program called RazorLame. I know, odd name--but good program.

You are going to want to encode your .wav file into .mp3 format. For the sake of keeping the file size down, I recommend encoding as a mono file with a 40 kbps bitrate. This lets you get a couple of minutes of playing time into about a 1 meg file.

I try to keep them small because I know several people who hit my site don't have broadband, and trying to download a 3-meg tune over an analog modem is a trying experience.

Then you need a site you can use for file storage. There is the Clips & Snips site you can email your tune to, and there are also other options, which I'll touch on in a minute.

Once the file exists on a web server somewhere, you can just list the URL here in your posting in http:// format, like this:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/contradiction.mp3

The message board software will take care of making it into a clickable link for you.

If you would like, I am willing to host a file for you. I do ask the following for legal reasons:

--the tune(s) must be in the public domain and not covered by any copyright

--it must be your own playing. If there are other musicians they will also need to individually send me emails with permission to post their work

--it needs to be an .mp3 format file, and this is not an absolute requirement but I do ask the file not be much more than 1 meg in length, since I will be recieving it and then uploading it over my own analog modem

--on the email you send with the tune, I need you to state that you are giving me permission to post your playing on flutesite.com, and that you do not retain a copyright over the tune, arrangement, or the recording.

If that sounds good to you, email the tune of your choice to me at jpeeples_at_txk.com (replacing the _at_ with @, of course) and I will try to get it posted for you the next day and email you the URL for the link.

I look forward to hearing you play!

--James
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

rama wrote:Hey James,

I just spent the day figuring out how to record on my PC.
You had the day off???? *wistful*

Mary
rama

Post by rama »

Mary,

I had no work is more like it. I just had a couple of appt.'s in the
evening and that's it.

James,

Thanks bro'. I don't totally understand the instructions but I'll read thru it a couple of more times (I'm a computer idiot). I believe they are all wav files, but I know they are each 60 seconds or less. Just some quick clips.

I'll get back to you

rama
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'll be glad to help any way I can.

It's starting to look like for once a tune posting may actually end up on a positive note! :) I can't tell you how thrilled I am at that--for a long time I've wished we could get more folks from the flute board to post recordings, and I've wished the flute board would be a friendlier and more receptive place to those who do post.

If this giant roller-coaster-ride of misunderstandings has helped those things to start to happen, then it was worth it.

--James
rama

Post by rama »

Well James, I think you're right. I had alot of fun playing into the PC. It sparked an old flame in me that has been sort of withering away - my music this. So I will have to thank you for that my friend.

But please tell me, where do get hold of this Goldwave? And is this going to be a project and a half or is it fairly simple for a bonehead like me?

r