Flute for beginner

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stefpat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute for beginner

Post by stefpat »

What so you think about this Dixon flute? Is it a good flute for a beginner?
I play whistle (high and low)

Cheers,
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

The Dixon is a good choise to start out with. I did that as well, it's well worth the money. If you learn to get a good sound out of it, then you will have quite a good embouchure, cause it's a bit hard to play.

However, don't expect to be able to do any band, recording or session work with it. The tuning is not very good and it's a bit quiet. But a good choise for a beginner, no question about that, but you'll probably want to upgrade soon.

Cheers
nashradus

Choosing between beginner flutes

Post by nashradus »

Hi, I'm also thinking of picking up a flute after playing the whistle for around 9 months now. I was looking at these flutes in particular:

1. Dixon flute that Stef had posted.
2. This bamboo flute I saw in the Lark in the Morning catalog:
http://larkinthemorning.com//product.asp?pn=BFL001
3. Another bamboo flute from the same page:
http://larkinthemorning.com//product.asp?pn=BFL025

I'm looking for something to try out which does not sound terribly bad but which fits in the same price range as these flutes. I'm still tempted to buy a Patrick Olwell flute though it's a bit more expensive, but the thought of waiting 6-9 months for it to come seems very discouraging.

Has anyone bought any of these flutes (or others that cost about the same) that you would recommend or shun in particular?

~nash
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

Do you know Hamilton practice flute...?
http://homepage.eircom.net/~hammie/practice.htm

Have a good day,
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Nash,

I'd shy away from those bamboo flutes. Stefpat's choice above is good, and both Calmont music (a board member) and Al Mount (another board member) make good basic flutes for the $50 range. For around $250, both the Dixon conical (3 piece) and the Sweetheart basic are good starter flutes.

I tried playing on really bad bamboo flutes when I first started, and it was discouraging. I ended up making my own flute out of CPVC, and on my first try it was better than either of my bamboo flute!

Eric
skh

Post by skh »

stefpat wrote:Do you know Hamilton practice flute...?
http://homepage.eircom.net/~hammie/practice.htm

Yes. Nice flute. I'll post a reviewlet once I know how it compares to a "real" flute, i.e. when my wooden one arrives, in spring 2004.

It's only EUR 50, though, so even if you aren't happy with it, you didn't lose much money. And you can strap it to a backpack, like a tent pole, that's great for traveling ;-)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'm getting started with an Alan Mount flute and it's working out very well. I'm not in a position yet to make comparative judgements but it is just what I was told it would be, perhaps better. Tuning is pretty good and sound more than you have any right to expect for the price.
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Stefpat; first of all that is a flute made in Pakistan. The company sells them for about 15 dollars. If you want their email address I will send it to you.
Please don`t order the Dixon. Tony makes some realy nice flutes but that aint one of them. It is a very discouraging flute. Maybe if you ordered the lip plate with it you would have better luck than I did but there are better choices. Alan Mounts flutes are great, offset holes and very easy to play, I think the Hammy would be great also. There are many threads on this subject in the archives and a search would give you much info to help you decide. There are some bamboo flutes worth having, Olwells` of course, Sunreed and a few others. But give yourself a break and get one of Alans` flutes and enjoy a realy nice road to travel.

Tom
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The wait for an Olwell bamboo is about a month, not a year, like his wood flutes. (Although he will soon be taking a winter break from bamboo flutes to catch up on wood flute orders.) Another respected bamboo flute maker is Steve Cox. www.tallgrasswinds.com
I would also shy away from the Dixon PVC cylinrical flute; his conical model, while more expensive, is also much better.
For starters, though, a bamboo flute pitched in F is a nice option (much more manageable finger stretch, takes less air).
Once you've got a handle on the basics on this flute, you can upgrade to a decent D flute.
Micah
glauber

Post by glauber »

Just this week i heard good things about Hammy's practice flutes. Still a good option.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

There are a lot of options... Alan Mount and Hamilton's student flute being the best economy.
There are some great bamboo flutes out there... Olwell is reputed to be the best though word is that he's not taking any orders until Spring. Other alternatives for bamboo flutes are SunReed, Erik the Flutemaker, Tallgrass Winds and Woodsong.

Avoid Lark in the Morning mail order. If you happen to be in San Francisco or Seattle and visit one of their shops you can usually hand select a decent instrument. Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

Cheers,
Aaron
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Micah wrote:The wait for an Olwell bamboo is about a month, not a year, like his wood flutes. (Although he will soon be taking a winter break from bamboo flutes to catch up on wood flute orders.)
Micah
Update. He hasn't been taking orders for bamboo for a while now. The holiday has started.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Stefpat,
IMO, if you're considering a practice flute with the intention of eventually getting a good conical wooden flute for ITrad forget about Bamboo and just get a cheap PVC flute, I have a Dixon and it's fine. You'll spend more on a Bamboo flute and it isn't going to sound any more like a conical wooden flute than a PVC. Then if you decide to keep at it (flute playing) get a good flute from one of the respected makers, it probably doesn't matter who, and stick with that flute and practice plenty. All the top flute players reached the standard that they're at by spending hours playing not because they used a particular make of flute.

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
nashradus

Moore flutes

Post by nashradus »

Thanks for all the information! I came across this flute while going through the Flute forum archives:

http://members.aol.com/hurdyplay/Flute.htm

Has anyone played a Moore flute or heard anything about it?

~nash