how hard is it to learn UP?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Thorpe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Thorpe »

I have to disagree IMO i dont think Heather Clarke's tutor isessential as i found it didnt help that much.

Dan
bullet08

Post by bullet08 »

just ordered heather clarke and seamus ennis's books. spoke to seth g., sent email to todd denman since someone mentioned he is around my area.. pat sky still indicates that he is very busy.. let see where i end up with all this.. still need to get my hands on a practice set..

seth g. said his practice set has 6 month wait at the moment.. rather on expensive side.. but, from all the indications i have gotten, his pipes are rather in "can't go wrong" area.
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Back to your original question. I have owned my Brian Howard practice set for two weeks now and already getting a reasonable sound from them.

I learn just from listening more, and experimentation.

I think the lesson is stick with it and just keep trying to get the sound you hear.

Mark
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I'd be wary of learning purely by ear, or trying to mimic what you hear until you know the correct finger processes for ornamentation. In the early stages you would be unable to distinguish for e.g. what notes are used to grace a roll, or in the case of a G roll would you tap with index finger only, or use both g fingers etc., etc., The next best thing to actual 1-1 tuition is video. I haven't yet seen a tutor book that satisfactorily explains rolls properly.

alan
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Alan, I tried learning rolls on the whistle from various tutors and agree, it is almost impossible to describe in writing.

Once I had a live teach show me, I was able to do rolls reasonably well in a couple of hours practice.

I've had my practice set since last Saturday and last night was able to actually get through a couple of tunes with only a few squacks.

I'm able to play for longer periods as I've been able to relax my lower hand 'death grip'...the first day my hand cramped after 5 minutes.

Regards,
Gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
anima

Post by anima »

>>found him slacking off as usual>>

Hey Kevin, What else would you expect from a decrepit.... errrr....... layabout pipemaker.

:D

Jeff