Copeland brass High D - what do you think?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a nickel D Copeland which I think is
the best D whistle I've ever played. Except
for the Copeland silver D.
I don't find it very demanding airwise,
but demands aren't always a bad thing,
as they make us stronger. No clogging
problems.

I much prefer the nickel sound to the brass. Best
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Well Jim, my nickel D Copeland is the best whistle you've never played...so there...harrrruuuummmmpppphhhh! :D
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I had one and returned it. There was no way I could blow it into tune in the upper A and B. You've read all the comments, I think you get the picture. I think this company has some work to do if they want to stay in business long term.
Current stage of grief: Denial
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Why have you settled on a Copeland? If you're willing to shell out that kind of bucks, there are many many alternatives that may or may not suit you better.

They're excellent whistles for a certain kind of player. I took a few lessons from someone who made the Copeland D sound so good that I bought one. It doesn't do the same thing for me -- she just makes the sound jump out of the whistle and gets a crisp sound that I can't get from the Copeland but can from, say, a Swayne.

I like a loud whistle, so I like that in the Copeland. There are a few things I don't like about it, though. It takes way more air than I like. Not Clarke or Shaw air, but way more than the next-highest air whistle that I play. Also, I'm not crazy about the intonation. There's been a topic about this recently.

The Copeland low-D, on the other hand, is a remarkable piece of work.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
OutOfBreath

Re: Windway

Post by OutOfBreath »

Eliezer wrote:Oh yeah. Almost forgot: I've have no problem with blocked windways. It does like to warm up before it sings, and I wouldn't play it outdoors for Christmas caroling. That's what Susatos are for.
Thwaay, phweet wulth thumonthphweet helphweet me geh thiphweet whisphweetle off phweet myphweetliph!

John
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Phil, I didnt mean my particular Copeland D is the
best ever, but the type of whistle, which includes
yours which may be better than mine.

About intonation. I have Copelands in
almost every key made. Copelands sometimes vary
in intonation; sometimes (rarely) they're out of tune.
I think it may have something to do with
the conical bore. Anyway one sends back the
whistle and Michael and Jim retune or
replace it. I did this with a low D that
had a flat C sharp, and they fiddled with
it and finally just sent me a new one.
Also they will work on the voicing so
it sounds the way you want.
These are good guys.

I promise you, Copeland woodwinds needn't worry
about staying in business. These are widely
thought to be among the best whistles made,
if not the best--which doesn't mean that
anybody in particular has to like them.
If one likes something else better,
or likes these not at all, that's fine.
In addition not every whistle is for
every venue. Mike and Jim are now expanding
into blackwood flutes. Best
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Ya know, for what you're likely to spend on a Copeland, you might as well big on the two whistle O'Riordan set on eBay right now. Better whistles hands down (imho) and cheaper too with luck. Also you'll get better cross-fingerings out of the thicker walled whistle design.

B~
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Azalin wrote:I used to have one and didnt like it, it was too loud for my taste. It also requires lotsa air in the upper register. Overall I dont think it's a good purchase for the price.
I agree about the volume and air requirements. The Copeland is a beautifully made whistle and for someone who likes to play loud I think it is indeed a terrific whistle and worth the price. Try to play one first if you can-- perhaps someone here on the Board would be willing to lend you one, or meet with you if they live nearby.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I think Copelands of each kind must vary quite a bit. My low D is one of my favourite whistles period. I love that whistle. But I've heard of people who've had problems even with these.

My high D is a bit ho-hum. There's nothing dramatically wrong with it, but it isn't quite what I want. I can imagine it being someone else's favourite high D though. For my part, however, I prefer my Busman, Thin Weasel, Abell, Overton, Burke, and Sindt in D.

I have no first hand experience of serious intonation problems at the top of the second octave with Copelands, but too may people report these problems for this to be completely myth I fear. I do have first hand experience of a somewhat disconcedrting leap in volume around second octave B. But not on my low D.

One thing I can say is this: if you get a Copeland that has no problems and is the kind of whistle you were looking for and expecting, you'll very soon forget what you had to pay for it.
dublingirl

Post by dublingirl »

Many thanks for all your replies! I don't think I'll go for the Copeland after all - it sounds as if if it would be hard to obtain one which is problem-free!

Are there any whistles you would suggest instead, which take less air in the upper register, but still have a lovely tone and are highly recommended?

Thanks,
Dublingirl
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

dublingirl wrote:
Are there any whistles you would suggest instead, which take less air in the upper register, but still have a lovely tone and are highly recommended?

Thanks,
Dublingirl
Burke and it's just over a third of the price!! If you're in Europe order from Mick O'Brien and you don't have to pay inport duty and all that!! And it'll probably be with you more or less straightaway!!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dublingirl wrote:

Thanks,
Dublingirl
For overall balance and that wonderful woody experience, I'd recommend a Busman. If you want lots of overtones, you can't go past an Overton and they are very reliable. Don't be put off by complaints that Overtons have excessive breath requirements; just ring Colin Goldie and he'll build you just what you want. For purer whistles, Burke and Sindt are great too.

Each of these is substantially cheaper than a Copeland and each of these have a reputation for reliability. Which you should go for depends a lot on just what sound you are looking for.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

You know, to be fair, it may truly be that the creation of a Copeland is more complex and labor-intensive than the creation of a Burke or other cylindrical bore tooter. Drawing out the tube for a conical bore etc may be quite tricky.

In any event I don't think there is any reason to believe that Michael is gouging or that he is some kind of elitist.

And I suppose that, even if it isn't any tougher to make a Copeland, the fact is that price is dictated by what the market will bear and he does have a fairly long line of people standing in line for months to shell out the dough and get their hands on one. That, in of itself, speaks volumes about the quality of the instruments.

Doc
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Copelands vary TREMENDOUSLY from whistle to whistle. The old ones, before Copeland Woodwinds became more than one person, were terrific, all of them. It was then that they got their reputation. Of course, there were far less whistle players then and his waiting list was three years long and shut down. When Jim Rementer joined, they found ways to standardize production, and though Mike is definitely still capable of creating a gem, he doesn't usually have the time for it. But at least they offer free re-voicing!

Played-in Abells are lovely whistles. Burkes are reliable, even if they lack visual beauty. Some Copelands are amazing.
~JessieD
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I own a Copeland C. I haven't had it for very long, but my impression is that it's a very nice whistle, it needs to be warmed up, and the player needs to have good breath control, and good breath support. This is not a whistle to play timidly, it's a whislte to play assertively. When I'm playing this whistle indoors, or making any attempt to not play loud, it's not that great. When I'm outdoors, and blowing lots of air through it, it's the best whislte I've got. By far, it's the prettiest of the whistles I own.

I've heard the C called the weakest of the Copeland line. The first B is a bit flat, and the high end of the second octave needs good air. If this is one of the weak ones, I'd love to try the strongest in the line (which some say is the A)! I've been really happy with this purchase.