And what about Leahy?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
morgan

And what about Leahy?

Post by morgan »

You know, those Canadians who opened for Shania Twain. Does anyone here listen to them? Any good whistle or pipe playing? Or is it too much in the pop genre? (They are coming soon to a theater near me and I have to decide whether or not to go...)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Excellent playing and boggling showmanship. If I had to dance like that and play flute at the same time, I'd break my nose.

I found all the schtick a bit distracting, but the music's very good.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I saw them when I took my nieces to see Shania a few years ago - I agree about the schtick but I enjoyed them more than I did Shania! They certainly are very talented, but I don't remember much in the way of whistle or flute - very fiddle oriented.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Nanohedron wrote:Excellent playing and boggling showmanship. If I had to dance like that and play flute at the same time, I'd break my nose.

The term schtick is very appropriate - as you say the music is great but they seem to be saying "look at me!" the whole time.
Paul Anderson

what about leahy?

Post by Paul Anderson »

Leahy are a lot less formulaic than Shania Twain. At least they're musicians. Steve Earle, when asked what he thought of Ms. Twain, said that she is the world's highest paid lap dancer. Says it all for me. If you want to hear women sing country, go see Iris DeMent or Gillian Welch or Lucinda Williams.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Someone brought a Leahy CD in to work the other day ("Lakefield"?). Some of it was cool, but some of it was really pop. I probably wouldn't buy it because of that. The pop tunes really turned me off and interrupted the groove of the CD.

Robin
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I saw few minutes of a show they did for Public TV last year and it turned me off instantly. They cater to the civilians, er, non-musicians way too much.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I haven't cared for any of their music to date honestly. Sounds like I'm lucky not to have seen them live either.

and no piper.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Rando7 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Excellent playing and boggling showmanship. If I had to dance like that and play flute at the same time, I'd break my nose.

The term schtick is very appropriate - as you say the music is great but they seem to be saying "look at me!" the whole time.
Ever since that chick with the blue eelectric violin and Boor of the Dance, that component is around but seems to be bigger in Canuckian groups. I guess the idea of normal looking folk in houndstooth caps and a pint glass nearby is passé. Too bad for everybody. Glitz doesn't do it for me at all. Even tho' he could beat me up (he was a boxer at one point) I could never get over Flatley's froufy Irish mullet in Riverdance. I just thot it looked stoopid. Jean Butler managed to astound and amuse with a simple hairstyle and her talent.

Just say no to Celtoid Hair Bands as they presumably laugh their way to the bank.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: I must be getting overly diplomatic as I become more superannuated by the day. :lol:
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

The Weekenders wrote:Ever since that chick with the blue eelectric violin and Boor of the Dance, that component is around but seems to be bigger in Canuckian groups. I guess the idea of normal looking folk in houndstooth caps and a pint glass nearby is passé. Too bad for everybody. Glitz doesn't do it for me at all.
There are still plenty of great, non-glitzy Canadian trad bands out there -- and mostly they're a lot more traditional than the glitzy ones, and better musicians, too. A Crowd of Bold Shareman (Newfoundland, http://www.singsong.nfld.com/liners/cdcbs.html ) and Le Vent du Nord (Quebec, http://www.leventdunord.com/ ) pop to mind.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

colomon wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Ever since that chick with the blue eelectric violin and Boor of the Dance, that component is around but seems to be bigger in Canuckian groups. I guess the idea of normal looking folk in houndstooth caps and a pint glass nearby is passé. Too bad for everybody. Glitz doesn't do it for me at all.
There are still plenty of great, non-glitzy Canadian trad bands out there -- and mostly they're a lot more traditional than the glitzy ones, and better musicians, too. A Crowd of Bold Shareman (Newfoundland, http://www.singsong.nfld.com/liners/cdcbs.html ) and Le Vent du Nord (Quebec, http://www.leventdunord.com/ ) pop to mind.
I still think Donnel Leahy is one of the most talented fiddle players alive today.

That aside, they're definitely not traditional but if you can appriciate other types of music, they are worth seeing. I enjoyed the one time I saw them live quite a bit.

Take care,
A.J.
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

I, for one, am partial to Donnel Leahy's wife. Very cute and very talented too...

Yes, it's a test...
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I'll take Cape Breton fiddlers for $500, Alex.

"This Cape Breton fiddler is married to Donnel Leahy."

Who is Natalie MacMaster, Alex?

As for Leahy the group -- loved the CD 'Leahy' but didn't care for 'Lakefield.'

They've got a good track with the Chieftains on 'Fire in the Kitchen' -- Devil's Dream and Mason's Apron.
janice

Post by janice »

Most of the really good Canadian bands are not glitzy...for a real dose of authentic Ontario style fiddling, which is what Leahy does, check out Pierre Schryer's website (punch in his name) or Shane Cook (Canadian Grand Champion and U.S. Grand Champion fiddler).