Shoulder Strap Advice?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Islandpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Shoulder Strap Advice?

Post by Islandpiper »

I may be wanting to try using a shoulder strap on the bag-side to help support the whole lot and keep my drones laying where they belong. Can any of you more experienced players advise where and how the strap should be hung on the bag (or mainstock.....or what)??? Thanks in advance for your guidance, suggestions, opinions and ideas. As usual, I'm sure EVERYONE will agree on this issue....... :lol: :lol: :D
djm

Post by djm »

IP, there is absolutely positively only one way to add a strap, and that is to tie it around the stock's cup where it ties into the bag. There can be no question or opposition to this. That is it! Finito! Kaput! End of story! :lol:

djm
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: Shoulder Strap Advice?

Post by Tony »

Islandpiper wrote:....As usual, I'm sure EVERYONE will agree on this issue....
uh-huh

Essential previous discussion:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e0ea372933
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

If you look at the picture on the back of Jimmy O'Brien-Moran's CD you can see a leather cord wrapped around the bass regulator bar and its mounting. This kind of shoulder strap will pull the pipes away from you slightly as well as hitching them up a great deal if necessary.
Seamus Ennis had an eye hook screwed into his stock with a saxophone strap attached to it, I believe. Johnny Doran appears to have used the same setup.

You can just barely see the shoulder strap in this crappy scan of the JOBM photo from NPU:

fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

You can see how I attached mine here:

Phil Sexton's Page

I used a leather shoe string with a shoulder pad I found somewhere.

I used waxed nylon cord to tie to a hole I punched in the leather "wrapover" flap on the seam, tied the leather shoestring to that nylon cord loop, then made an adjustable loop in the leather shoestring that I put around the cup for the mainstock.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I use a neopreme/nylon strap rifle sling from WalMart... wrapped around where the stock attaches to the bag...
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I use two types of shoulder straps for my pipes

One is black leather shoe lace inserted into blank leather belt type with out metal part and the other is a old ladies handbag strap.

When I play the pipes without Bass reg I place the strap around the mainstock bass cup.

If I play the full set of pipes I would place the strap around the maintock just after where the brass reg sliding part is on mainstock.

All the best
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

strap

Post by tommykleen »

Mine is about an inch wide... not one of those 3 "wide jobs. Most importantly, it has these swivels on either end. It is black on one side (for funerals) and a jaunty pin strip on the other...for those executive board meetings. Without it I feel like everything in my lap is going to shoot off into space.

I am talking about a camera strap bytheway.

I am proud that is was able to write this entire message WITHOUT any of those emoticons!

t
Davey

NOPE! DISQUALIFIED!!

Post by Davey »

NOPE! Sorry Tommy my boy, your avatar CERTAINLY qualifies as an emoticon.....it most closely resembles.. :o
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

strap

Post by tommykleen »

..I also could use a strap or some device for typos too. :roll:

oops

t