Whistle advice for a perfectionist begginer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kevin J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin J »

Hello I am very new to the whistle. I am trying to get all the information I can about the soprano whistle. I really like wooden whistles, but I would like to know a lot more about cpvc (particularly Hoover), brass, tin etc. I have a generation whistle with a plastic mouthpiece and I'm getting sick of it. It screeches, its out of tune and its not a good whistle. If anyone who reads this, could you please send me all the information you can about high end whistles. Thank you for all your time and work.

Kevin J
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

That's a lot of questions you've asked there, Kevin...

My advice - relax. These types of questions have been dealt with many times. Set aside a few hours and browse through previous posts on this board and its predecessor (the forum archives), you'll find all the points of view you want. The search feature is very useful.

Next - my personal viewpoint - learn to play a bit better before spending money. It's possible your Generation is a horrible whistle. But it may be fine - in many cases beginners (which you say you are) make whistles screech because they haven't got the hang of blowing them properly. In which case an expensive whistle won't necessarily be of any help.

Buy a couple more cheap ones - if you find a nice one, hang onto it. If you're not sure, try to find some experienced players who can advise you.

If you can learn to play cheap ones properly, the experience will be useful in playing high-end ones. Once you can play a bit, travel to a store or a festival where you can try different whistles, or try some beloging to people in your area. Try them, figure out the differences, then make up your own mind.

This is the old-fashioned way. Not much instant gratification to be had, I admit, but you could save yourself a pile of money.

ATB
Steve
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I tend to agree with Stevie, but on the other hand, two points. One, try a few other "cheap" whistles such as Clarke, Walton, Clare. Two, if you have the bucks and it brings you pleasure, try a higher priced (and yes, better made)whistle. Suggest in metals Burke Al-pro and Sindt; in PVC, Silkstone. But as Stevie suggests, get comfortable and learn some songs you like, play with breath control and fingerings, etc. Enjoy. PhilO
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I suggest the low-to-mid-priced Dixon D ($16 nontunable plus shipping) composite whistle when you decide you want to spend more money on whistles. It was my second one and is wonderful, and Tony Dixon is a very nice guy. You can buy direct from Tony or from http://www.thewhistleshop.com .
caren

Post by caren »

Hi Kevin,
I am another very new beginner, and thought I'd reply since you asked about the Hoover CPVC SopD. Maybe another newbie's view will be helpful. I have only a Hoover CPVC and a Clarke Sweetone. In price, the Hoover is more low-to-mid-range than expensive (US$35?).
I really like the Hoover. I like the sound - it's very clear and sounds beautiful to me. I like the feel - more substantial than the Sweetone, and the holes seem slightly larger with a clean edge which seems easier for beginner me to feel. It doesn't look like a piece of plumbing; I think it looks quite nice. It seems in tune when I play with recordings, but I have no way to know for sure. I don't know enough to give a real review, and I have no idea how it compares to wood (or anything else except my Sweetone).
The funny thing is, I am not very fond of the Sweetone. I've started to get a complex because everyone here swears the Sweetones are perfect for beginners, but I am really not liking mine. If I only had the Sweetone I am not sure I would be so enthusiastic about learning whistle-playing. As is, I've been playing for a couple hours each day. I am starting to rearrange my life around my whistle - scary! Maybe if I come back to the Sweetone later I will like it better.
The point to you here is, I think even for us beginners there is not one whistle for everybody, and it *does* matter for motivation to find a whistle you are "compatible" with. So I think you should definitely try something other than what you've got. It's just that from what I have read so far, expensive in no way guarantees instant compatibility. I would take Steve's advice and spend a lot of time in the archives, and spend as much time listening to other players as you can. But you might as well start cheap and work your way up. I hope you find a whistle you love playing.
--Caren
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

You don't like your sweetone caren? Obviously there must be something wrong with you...

:wink:

All kidding aside, I'm one of those folks who advocate a sweetone for beginners. I like to think that my reasons for doing so are good ones. But Caren is exactly right...there is no one whistle for everyone. If you're unhappy with the whistle you've got, buy a few of the inexpensive ones..that way you're not out any big bucks if it turns out to simply be your lack of playing experience.

I like the high end whistles a lot, but I'm with Stevie on this one. I think it's best to save your dollars and wait to buy a really expensive one until you've grown into your playing a bit more.

Greg
TonyaD

Post by TonyaD »

I disagree about learning to play on the cheapies. My early playing on my Clarke and Walton was fine, nothing great; but it really got bad the higher I got. I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Then I got my Hoover Traditional Bore. What a difference. My playing improved so much immediately. Not being so frustrated by the sounds I was producing made me want to play more, which improved my playing more.

The funny thing was that when I went back to my old whistles, I could now play them, even the high notes. The better quality whistle is a great investment for a beginner.
Kevin J

Post by Kevin J »

Thanks for your reply TonyaD. I would like to learn the whistle, but it is hard with playing the generation I now have. But hopefully the problem is with the whistle, because I am picking up a new one tomorrow. Any suggestions for a cheapie? Anyway I've heard that Hoover's are great, and then not so great. What's the deal with that? What does the maker do to one whistle and not to the other. I was interested in a hoover, but I don't really like the mixed reviews. Just wondering...

Kevin J
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're really a perfectionist, you should (maybe eventually) buy a whistle made by a perfectionist. Mike Burke immediately comes to mind.

Good cheapies can be had -- I bought a SweeTone and a Clare several weeks ago. I really like the Clare. Pretty mellow sounding without losing the tinniness. The Sweetone just doesn't do it for me. It plays enough like a regular Clarke, with prodigious wind requirements, that I'd rather play the traditional one.

As has been pointed out, going up another ten bucks in price is worth it to many. I much prefer Susatos over Dixons (they're pretty much the same price), but that's personal preference. They're both good whistles, and don't have the QC problems that a lot of the cheapies have.

Charlie
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I'm another one who doesn't really like the Sweetone. Way too breathy sounding and it requires a lot of air.

My favorite cheap ones (so far) are my Feadog black nickel D and my husband's Walton's Little Black D (aluminum). Both whistles were under $8.

I'd love to get a Burke, but until I can afford it, I do like the above ones I mentioned. I have a couple of cheapies I don't like much, so I would advise you to try a couple more cheap ones besides your Generation. I've heard the Generations have some major problems a lot of the time.

I'd suggest checking out (if you haven't already) Dale's guide on Chiff & Fipple to whistles--both high-end and inexpensive. I learned a whole lot doing it.

Good luck! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-01-16 18:10 ]</font>
whistle god

Post by whistle god »

Dale's guide is a great place to start I agree. I also dislke the tone of my sweetone compared to my other whistles. It's not a difficult whistle to play, just not sweet, as the name would imply.

I much prefer Oak, good Generations (which aren't as difficult to find as some seem to feel in my opinion) and my Burke Pro brass whistle.

That being said, I don't like these whistles all the time. For recording, either solo or with a group, live perforances (particularly playing slow airs), my Hoovers are the ones people seem to ask me to play the most.

However, I also love playing an old Walton brass D and my Shaw nickel D.

Different makers make different sounding whistles, but except for a very few, all play well. I know I've seen some here who like to argue about one whistle being out of tune or not looking as well finished as another, but for the vast majority of whistle players I know, if you stick with it, and p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e, you'll improve vastly.

Give yourself credit for what you CAN do, and your playing, and enjoyment of whichever whistle happens to be in your hands will increase as well. Thankfully, these things aren't French Horns, and part of their fun, is in their unique voices.

Good Luck!
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

I have a Sweetone and a Clare and am new to whistles and the Clare is easier for me to play & thus I prefer it.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I would say what you buy depends on exactly how realistic you are being when you say you're a perfectionist. If you have the money, Abell, Copeland and Thin Weasel are excellent choices, because if you change your mind about them you can probably get a decent resale price. However, keep in mind that everybody's opinion of "perfect" is totally a matter of taste. I have a couple of Thin Weasels, yet my revoiced Water Weasel is the whistle I use as the "voicing" I aim for when I make whistles (granted, I get nowhere near it, but everyone's gotta have a dream....). Like it was said earlier, read old postings and look for verbal *drool* marks.... those are the ones to shoot for.
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Hey Dave...a little OT but how did you revoice your WW? Did you do it or did Glenn? Inquiring mind here.
And Kevin...don't get discouraged,,,,sooner or later something is going to start sounding pretty good to you......just takes a lot of practice. Take it from one old mouse here. : ) Gm
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
dd

Post by dd »

I appreciate all the advice. However, I think I might disagree with this always recommending that newbies stick with cheap whistles. One major problem with that advice is that if you play with others or with recordings, you can spend a small fortune on many cheap whistles before you find one that is in tune or can be tuned enough to get it in pitch. For what I have spent on cheapies to find one that could be adjusted to pitch I could easily have afforded a low end expensive or a mid priced whistle. I think that maybe a section on mid-ranged whistles would be helpful. Compared to most other instruments even the expensive ones are relatively expensive (ok......not the ABELLS and stuff) I finally got a cheapie that is in tune by resorting to DESPERATE measures...I ground a little off the end of the walton. Man, I went right from that fipple adjusting behavior to major reconstructive stuff. You know,,,,,, you just DONT do this sort of thing with guitars lol.