Cathal McConnell's double whistle feats...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Brian Lee wrote:I figured tape was involved somewhere...just curious to know which holes I guess. The three top on the bottom handed whistle I can see, but the top handed whistle... :-? I suppose taping the two bottom holes would make the most sense. I'll just have to try it I guess.

Thanks
Whether or not you use tape depends entirely on which whistles you choose and which harmonies you are looking for. With some choices you might even choose to tape over half a hole. It's something you need to figure out on a song by song basis.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

ErikT wrote:A guy named David Brewer also plays two whistles at once quite well.
Btw, Erik,

do you still make a drone whistle?
Last edited by Zubivka on Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Zub, I do. I've actually sent out a few and have a number of orders for them coming up. Seems like I got about 4 within a couple weeks of each other.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

ErikT wrote:Zub, I do. I've actually sent out a few and have a number of orders for them coming up. Seems like I got about 4 within a couple weeks of each other.
Ever thought of drilling a hole for the left pinkie, so you could also drone the dominant (A)?
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I haven't tried that one; I should give it a shot. I have played around with a couple of combos: holes for thumbs, two playable bodies, one fully playable body, one with only the bottom three holes.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Actually, being slightly obsessive on occasion, I just discovered that it's possible to play (using piper's fingering) 2 whistles at the same time, no tape required. I will be torturing myself and others over the forthcoming weekend... Thanks! :lol:
Deirdre
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I've seen Bill Ochs do this up close. He uses two whistles in the same key and tapes the three bottom holes of one. He did teach the method to Cathal, but Cathal took it to another level. Cathal uses two different whistles, one of which is a high F (I think). That would mean the other should be a C? The amazing thing about Cathal is that all of this seems to just be intuitive to him. Him playing two different whistles in harmony looks about as difficult as me brushing my teeth does.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Brian, I've got a MD recording of Cathal doing this, from this summer. Remind me and I'll pull it off the disc, and maybe we can figure out what he's done by what notes are being played.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jim_mc wrote:I've seen Bill Ochs do this up close. He uses two whistles in the same key and tapes the three bottom holes of one. He did teach the method to Cathal, but Cathal took it to another level. Cathal uses two different whistles, one of which is a high F (I think). That would mean the other should be a C? The amazing thing about Cathal is that all of this seems to just be intuitive to him. Him playing two different whistles in harmony looks about as difficult as me brushing my teeth does.
Jim, it's not as hard as it sounds in theory. So long as you are careful to avoid a couple of jarring combinations, just about any pair of notes you hit will be acceptable so long as you are headed for a couple of chord tones to finish a phrase. Playing concertina, you very quickly learn how to improvise double and tripple stops that harmonise with the melody line you are playing.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Maybe you could tape a whistle to another whistle so its holes face down, and play it with your pinkies and thumbs?
Food for thought.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If any of you play around with taping the top three holes of your whistle, try this..
You can play a whole scale with one hand on a taped whistle. Ignore the first octave and jump right up to the second.. Uncover the holes one at a time from bottom to top to play D,E,F#, G. Then cover them back up and blow harder. Instead of a D, you will get an overtone A and you can play the notes up:A, B,C# D. With a little practice you can play tunes one handed. When I used to juggle for my nursing home patients, I would sometimes play a tune with one hand, and juggle two balls with the other.
This is how a tabor pipe works-- back in the mideval days, they would play the pipe with one hand and a little neck slung drum with the other ( Bodhran would work if you're sitting down). On a tabor pipe, the top of the three holes is on the back, and is covered with the thumb. One of my customers in Germany ( and Chiff board member) asked me if I could make a tabor pipe for him, which I did ( I voiced it a bit differently to favor the upper registers). He liked it so much that he ordered another, as well as another whistle, giving him the largest collection of Busman Whistles on the planet.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

brewerpaul wrote:If any of you play around with taping the top three holes of your whistle, try this..
You can play a whole scale with one hand on a taped whistle. Ignore the first octave and jump right up to the second.. Uncover the holes one at a time from bottom to top to play D,E,F#, G. Then cover them back up and blow harder. Instead of a D, you will get an overtone A and you can play the notes up:A, B,C# D. With a little practice you can play tunes one handed.
Paul, does this work by essentially the same principle that allows for the playing of high harmonics on saxophones using false fingerings? With a lot of practice I was able to add about an octave and a half to the range of my tenor saxophone when I played it regularly. (Intonation wasn't always perfect.) A virtuoso would be able to add perhaps a further octave again and with perfect intonation. I've wondered about how high I could go on whistle using false fingerings but have been hesitant to experiment on a high D. (I like dogs.)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="Wombat Paul, does this work by essentially the same principle that allows for the playing of high harmonics on saxophones using false fingerings? )[/quote]

I think so-- it's also the same principle that lets you get varying notes from a bugle which has no holes or keys at all. The old "natural horn"-- precursor to the French horn, was used to play entire concertos. I once heard a recording of some well known horn player ( perhaps Dennis Brain) playing a concerto by Mozart's father on a length of garden hose.
I have a friend named Eric Marczak who I've mentioned here before as a maker and player of Native American style flutes. Eric made himself a pair of overtone flutes in different pitches, which are basically long, thin whistles with no fingerholes. The very long thin configuration makes the overtones easier to play, and if you cover the bottom hole with your finger you get another set of overtones. Eric perfoms a Polish polka on these that you wouldn't believe.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Brian, only one of the whistles is taped. That way he can play G, A, B and C (and C#) on the untaped whistle. And Cathal tapes the TOP three holes, not the bottom three. He did learn the idea from Bill Ochs, but perhaps he has modified it. I had recalled, incorrectly, that the whistles were in the same key, but now I remember that one was a different (untaped) party trick that Cathal does.
Last edited by JessieK on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On all occasions I saw him do his, and that would be around two dozen times within the past two or three years, he did use two different keys so there must be more way than one he approaches this.