Copper Penny Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Treasach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Copper Penny Whistles

Post by Treasach »

Hello to all!!
Has anyone tried to make one of those copper whistles that you can find the plans for on the web?
What do you think of them?
I made one & it turned out to be a nice sounding whistle.
Treasach
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

This is something I would like to try next time I have a few days free.

Can you post links to some of these plans?
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Copper Penny Whistles

Post by raindog1970 »

Treasach wrote:Hello to all!!
Has anyone tried to make one of those copper whistles that you can find the plans for on the web?
What do you think of them?
I made one & it turned out to be a nice sounding whistle.
I tried making a couple of them, but wasn't very impressed with my results... but then I came up with a design of my own, and briefly sold copper retrofit mouthpieces for standard 13mm (Eb&D) tubes.
I have since learned how to make my own tubes, but still haven't made a complete copper whistle of my own design... although I'm sure I could do it now.
Due to several unpleasant characteristics of copper, I have abandoned it and switched to making whistles and retrofit mouthpieces from PVC.
Making a copper whistle from any of the available plans is a valuable learning experience though, and it's an excellent first step towards becoming a whistle maker... but I'll give you fair warning that whistle making can become an even stronger obsession than whistle collecting! :lol:
By the way, how close to Sparta do you live?
We might have to meet up for a little whistle jam session some time!
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

Thanks for the reply antstastegood.
This is the site that I got my plans from: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/6611/makewhis.htm
They were easy to follow & it was a lot of fun since I like working with metal.
Also thanks to you raindog1970.
I live in Smyrna, right out side of Nashville.
I would love to meet with you & learn all I can about whistle playing!
Treasach
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Treasach wrote:Also thanks to you raindog1970.
I live in Smyrna, right out side of Nashville.
I would love to meet with you & learn all I can about whistle playing!
Smyrna isn't terribly far from Sparta... give me a shout if you're ever going to be in the area.
I don't know if you could actually learn anything worth making the trip from an amateur like me, but it would be fun to make some noise anyway! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I have made a total of 5 whistles that are playable. 3 were in copper pipe. I also have several bits of unplayable copper pipe in the shop...

I did not make any of mine tuneable. I used the Eric Reiswig instructions that I think Kim Fulton-Bennett bases her design on. Fairly quick, not very complicated, makes a decent whistle. Only problem is the weight of the thing. After that, I tried brass tubing from the hobby store. Much lighter. Made one for my dad and one for a friend. The piece that was going to be mine ended up wrong and never got finished.

I have so many nice whistles that it really is not a good idea for me to spend my time making mediocre ones. Instead, I make other mediocre instruments! Current project is a 13-course hammered dulcimer! I meant to make a 12, but somehow managed to mismeasure... No, I am not kidding. I'll post a link when I finish it, as I am taking pictures all the way through. Just to prove I made it myself! Like there'd be any question...

-Patrick
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Patrick wrote:I used the Eric Reiswig instructions that I think Kim Fulton-Bennett bases her design on.
Umm... Kim Fulton-Bennett is a guy! :lol:

Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Hi - Yes, I made one and the thing has an incredibly sweet sound! I really like playing it, but I am still trying to bring it into tune. Fortunately, It is a bit sharp, so I think, if I'm not mistaken, there is still hope, because increasing the hole diameters will "flatten" it. Easy to file AWAY, not so easy to replace filed copper.

Anyway, it sounds so nice, that if I can't tweak this one into line, I'm definitely going to try again.

It tasted a little funky a first, but that seems to have mellowed with some playing.

BTW I used a hard wood (oak) dowel for a fipple. any suggestions for alternatives?

Great post :)
Last edited by Leel on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

I am trying to build a cottage industry based on manufacture of whistles in copper pipe. I have made loads of them over the last couple of years and generally speaking they are really sweet sounding. If you want to see some examples and hear some soundbites, email me on woodhouse.uk@lineone.net. The web-site will be up and running soon too.

Jetboy
AKA Simon
Weston Whistles UK
Jetboy

Re: Copper Penny Whistles

Post by Jetboy »

[quote="raindog1970... but I'll give you fair warning that whistle making can become an even stronger obsession than whistle collecting! :lol:
[/quote]

I'll second that! :lol:

Jeboy
serpent

Post by serpent »

Leel wrote:Hi - Yes, I made one and the thing has an incredibly sweet sound! I really like playing it, but I am still trying to bring it into tune. Fortunately, It is a bit sharp, so I think, if I'm not mistaken, there is still hope, because increasing the hole diameters will "flatten" it. Easy to file AWAY, not so easy to replace filed copper.

Anyway, it sounds so nice, that if I can't tweak this one into line, I'm definitely going to try again.

It tasted a little funky a first, but that seems to have mellowed with some playing.

BTW I used a hard wood (oak) dowel for a fipple. any suggestions for alternatives?

Great post :)
Sorry, Leel... you can sharpen a hole by filing toward the fipple, but you can't flatten one by making it bigger.

If your whistle is otherwise okay, cut the head off to make it about 4 inches long, then locate some thin brass tubing at a hobby shop that it will slide into with some resistance, and use that for a tuning ferrule.
Next, assemble another piece of copper tube to it just slightly longer than is needed for a perfect bell note, and file or bandsaw it to trim the bell note to perfection.
From there, get Peter Kosel's "flutomat" and enter your specs for key and hole diameters desired. Here's a good starting point for a high D whistle - Hole 1 is nearest to the bell (bottom of the whistle):
1 - 1/4"
2 - 5/16"
3 - 3/16"
4 - 1/4"
5 - 1/4"
6 - 3/16"

That will, assuming 1/2" I.D. sched 40 copper pipe (wall thickness about 0.045"), give you a clean scale in more than 2 octaves, plus a proper OXXOOO Cnat crossfingering.

The hole spacings on Peter's calculator are from center to center, starting at the lower edge of the tube. Use a set of dial calipers to measure and mark, center punch, and drill carefully, because these measurements are critical for keeping the whistle in tune all the way up.

By the way, the tuning slide can be made from 21/32 brass tubing from K&S, sold at most hobby shops, if the OD of your copper is 5/8" Cut a piece 1-3/8" long and slip your barrel tube in 3/8" and apply solder to hold it in place. The mouthpiece will then slide in and out nicely. Use Teflon tape, or (better) beeswax, to tighten the slide as needed.

Finally, use cedar as a fipple plug. It's not damaged by being wet, and won't swell up like oak will. Redwood will do for that, too.

Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions or want any further help. Best of good fortune with your project!
:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

The first whistle I made I kind of used directions on the net. I read the direction about 80 times and scrapped most of the design except for the hole placement. It was a good starting point. The First whistle sounded great but as badly out of tune. IT took about 3 tries to get a good sounding whistle that was in tune. You should also try making a whistle out of aluminum, and pvc. You will be supprised with the sound that can be generated from PVC. Very sweet pure tone. Serpent here knowes the (design I use for my mouthpieces have you tried it out yet btw?) It has advantages and draw backs. I do not use a flat blade, a flat fipple, or a flat windway. Online tutorials will definatly infect you with "whistle makeritis" so you might want to stock up and sand paper, center punches, drill bits, Callipers, and band aides.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Dave Parhurst's whistles are all-copper. See them http://www.geocities.com/parkhurstwhistles/

They look gorgeous, and play beautifully, with a choice of practice or "session" volume.
A bit heavy, but balanced, and IMHO it helps stabilizing a high whistle. You'll need a few weeks patience, since they seem to be made on request, but they're worth every penny and minute...
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

Zubivka wrote:Dave Parhurst's whistles are all-copper. See them http://www.geocities.com/parkhurstwhistles/

They look gorgeous, and play beautifully, with a choice of practice or "session" volume.
A bit heavy, but balanced, and IMHO it helps stabilizing a high whistle. You'll need a few weeks patience, since they seem to be made on request, but they're worth every penny and minute...

Cheked out the whistles.
They look great!
Treasach
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Doh! Thanks Gary. I won't make that mistake again. Kinda frustrating dealing with those names that could go either way. Then, we went and named our daughter Dana...

I never had any luck with cpvc for whistles. None. Not sure if I want any advice on that or not. I'm playing with making stringed instruments, now. Possibly best to stick with what I have for whistles and spend my shop time on stuff that I can let the kids play with, too.

-Patrick