song suggestions - "tolerance"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaftCorbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

song suggestions - "tolerance"

Post by DaftCorbie »

Hello everyone!

In two weeks I'm going to attend an international youth exchange dealing with the topic of tolerance. Since there is always lots of singing and playing music at those meetings, I'm now looking for a couple of songs related to the subject tolerance, that the group could sing and I whistle along to.
Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Illi
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Not exactly trad, but the Dubliners 'Seven Deadly Sins' fits the theme pretty well. At least here in the US, where imposing one's own morality on others is a hobby for many people.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I second Lixnaw. When you read up on the story behind the song, it makes it all the more poignant to play. Just tell the story and play the tune.

As for Fr. Emmett.... uh....I guess there isn't a certain other multi-national theocratically-oriented religion in this world currently trying to impose their morality on others, right? Just here, in the evil ol US, where it's a fun hobby. :roll:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I guess it depends on what kind of "tolerance" you mean. Racial? Religious? Political? Social?

People are intolerant of many things.

I know this isn't much help...but music has always been the "one" truly international language.

Maybe "international" songs? ie songs from around the world? Depends on your main theme I guess. I'd try a search for "World Folk" and see what that turns up...?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
skh

Post by skh »

"There were roses". Google finds it.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

The Weekenders wrote: As for Fr. Emmett.... uh....I guess there isn't a certain other multi-national theocratically-oriented religion in this world currently trying to impose their morality on others, right? Just here, in the evil ol US, where it's a fun hobby. :roll:
No, some places it's done full time, not just as a hobby :wink:
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

skh wrote:"There were roses". Google finds it.

Sonja
I second this song if it fits with what you are doing. Oh goodness! It's so sad, and makes a good point. Heard it at a RMBS session once. WyoBadger played guitar and sang and everyone joined in on the chourus and it was a real lovely, heart touching song I thought. Thanks for reminding me of it.

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Frankly, I find that most things organized in the name of "tolerance" are anything but... :)

John
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

The Weekenders wrote:I second Lixnaw. When you read up on the story behind the song, it makes it all the more poignant to play. Just tell the story and play the tune.

As for Fr. Emmett.... uh....I guess there isn't a certain other multi-national theocratically-oriented religion in this world currently trying to impose their morality on others, right? Just here, in the evil ol US, where it's a fun hobby. :roll:
Of course there is. However, THEY are not currently trying to impose their morality on US.
lddulcimer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lddulcimer »

Sonja
Does anyone know if this is a trad song or more recent (my guess). Anyone know a music/recording source ?
Peace.
Larry
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

lddulcimer wrote:

Sonja
Does anyone know if this is a trad song or more recent (my guess). Anyone know a music/recording source ?
tommy sands sings, aswell as sean keane. here's the lyrics http://f50.parsimony.net/forum201588/messages/36.htm
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

lddulcimer wrote:

Sonja
Tommy Sands wrote it. I believe he's from Northern Ireland and has recorded it himself. An internet search would turn it up.

Steve
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

energy

Post by energy »

Must...refrain...from...political commentary.

*sits on hands*
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6