Kinds of wood for Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm sure much of it is the photo variances, but I've seen a lot of different colors for mopane.

Said to be the second hardest wood in Africa

How do you pronounce it... MO-pawn-e or moe-PAIN ?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Our fluter has a Casey Burns mopane flute and that is the heaviest wood I have ever seen. It is almost as heavy as my M & E flute!

Hers was the color of the first photo when she got it, now it is a reddish tinged brown, sort of a dark auburn if it were hair.
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

I had heard mo-PAH-nay.
Marc
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Has anyone tried Snakewood? Rogge is the only maker I see who shows it in his gallery. Looks AWESOME but after a bit of digging - found out the stuff seems to be pretty difficult to work in. Someone just sold a snakewood thin weasel over on the whistle board too.
sturob

Post by sturob »

I haven't tried working it, but I've got a snakewood 1/2 set by Rogge. It's DENSE stuff. Very nice looking.

I think you should pick a timber within reason that you find attractive. If you think pipes have to be black, then you'll probably move towards ebony, blackwood, and dark cocobolo. If you are more open, there are a lot of choices.

I really feel like the most striking difference between timbers is between families, rather than individual species. So, I feel like rosewoods tend to sound the same way, boxwood is boxwood, and cocus (a legume) is cocus.

I also don't really think koa is a great choice because it's so light, comparatively speaking. It's nice-looking, though. Interestingly, I just googled "koa wood," and almost every entry is for websites selling koa wood picture frames.

Stuart
Last edited by sturob on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
anima

Post by anima »

I read somewhere that snakewood can get brittle over time - anyone else heard this?
djm

Post by djm »

Any wood can get brittle if not cared for. A bit of oil once a year should probably be sufficient, unless you live in a desert.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

A local rare wood dealer packs a disclaimer with all ebony and snake they ship, saying that the wood musn't be exposed to extremes of humidity and temperature when freshly worked or it will crack.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Brian Lee wrote:Has anyone tried Snakewood? Rogge is the only maker I see who shows it in his gallery. Looks AWESOME but after a bit of digging - found out the stuff seems to be pretty difficult to work in. Someone just sold a snakewood thin weasel over on the whistle board too.
Yeah, Rogge makes snakewood sets. Fergus Maunsell has a lovely looking C set in snakewood. There's pictures of it in one of the old threads and on Patrick D'Arcy's site. It's hard to see the striations in the wood from those photos though.

A few years back, I was hangin' out at Cillian O Briain's workshop and he and his little helper Maurice had just completed a gorgeous snakewood mainstock...which immediately cracked. I don't think he's tried working with it since. Too hard to work with, he said. Then again, Cillian makes a lot of his pipes in boxwood, so go figure...
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Try this: http://www.cocoboloinc.com
This is a nice site listing the properties of certain Central and South American hardwoods. It lists some of the working properties and weight per cubic foot.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

The weight of my 3 Rogge chanters including the keys brass is
The C snakewood chanter is at 330 grams
The D ebony chanter is at 245 grams
The B plumwood Chanter is at 225 grams

My Rogge full C is made from snakewood brass artificial ivory
The Rogge B Chanter is made from plumwood brass boxwood
The Rogge D Chanter is made from ebony brass artificial ivory (this chanter for sale at the end of January 2004)

Bye for now
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

My choice,
Madagascan rosewood, or Dalbergia Maritima
the king of pipe woods, as far as I'm concerned,
you can't get any better timber than this for Uilleanns. 8)
Piipeman

Post by Piipeman »

who['s dalberg, friend of yrs :wink: wow wood shold be good and hard and why not hard as money buys so why not Plastic? cant be any harder less you make a pipe out of cancrete :D that would rock :party:
hey it sez party! 8)
djm

Post by djm »

Plastic is, in fact, better than wood for most woodwinds - to a point. On the plus side, it doesn't shrink, crack or split. On the negative side, it doesn't resonate the same as wood, so you would lose some subtle shadings off the timbre, and it costs more than wood to set up an injection mold, which would be necessary to make it worth the trouble. It goes without saying that you must start off with a good overall design, so I won't say it. :D

djm
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Plastics don't necessarily require injection molding. There are several flutemakers turning Delrin (Acetal) much the way wood is worked.