35 dollar east Indian Eb flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

35 dollar east Indian Eb flute

Post by Blackbeer »

I was messing around yesterday with this plastic wounder and decided to reset the cork to match my antique Eb. Of course when I went to move it it turned out to be a disk of cork. So to the wine shelf for a new cork. I slapped it in and set it up the same as my other Eb and holy smokes. I now have a 35 dollar 8key plastic flute that plays like a dream. Isn`t that weird. It realy sounds great. And yes it is in tune both with itself and according to my tuning program. So now I have an outside Eb. Just like that.

Tom
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

The man's icon drives me crazy. That propeller is really distracting. Dizzying and pointless.
Aside from that you have to wonder about somebody who thinks a $35 plastic flute plays great. Has he ever played a really great flute?
glauber

Post by glauber »

cocusflute wrote:The man's icon drives me crazy. That propeller is really distracting. Dizzying and pointless.
I like the smiling face. I think it's calming and reassuring.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

cocusflute wrote: Has he ever played a really great flute?

ask him about his LeHart...

I admit Tom you do sound a bit masochistic trying to make these thing work (let alone getting stepped on by draft horses whe not playing flutes), but hey - more power to ya! :lol:

Regards,
- Ryan
carrie

Post by carrie »

cocusflute wrote:you have to wonder about somebody who thinks a $35 plastic flute plays great.
I don't wonder about Tom at all.

Tom, glad that flute is smokin' for you! I always enjoy your posts.

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tom, did I read you correctly? An EIGHT keyed poly from the subcontinent? Bloody hell. All for $35.....and how did you pull that off? I can't imagine that that would be an original price, no matter the provenance.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Don't worry, cocusflute, your avatar drives me "crazy", too :o

Anyway, I think it's kind of neat that Tom gets so much pleasure from the simple things in life, while his LeHart sits on the shelf~

And I love the way he writes!!!!!

Mary
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Jeez Cocus didn`t mean to offend. I realy like the thing myself. Its a Ryan ST made for me by the zoob man. We were talking airplanes one time and I flew an old Ryan ST. WW 2 basic trainer. Total dog but fun to fly.
Ya nano they use to sell them on ebay. If you played your cards right you could get one for 35 bucks. I see them now every once in a while on the british ebay going for 40 pounds. I think they are a real shot in the dark as far as working right but I lucked out and mine played pretty good from the start. They smell like an old inertube and taste about the same but the keys work and don`t leak and the darn thing looks just like my old German 8 key.
I have been unfair to my Lehart, but that old Eb German cridder is just so fine. I love playing it. The Lehart does get at least an hour a day now though. Jeez what an animal. That thing is more flute than I ever hoped for.
Take care

Tom

PS Thank you all for your kind words. Very warming, like a down quilt. In fact I am snuggling in those word right now.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Those Indian flutes are back on American eBay these days, for $45, plus another $35 for shipping. Still a heck of a deal if you get a good one, like Tom seems to have, but I gotta wonder what the chances of that are. The part about smelling like an inner tube also worries me a bit -- what the heck are these things made of?

Has anyone else ever come across one of these beasts in person, so we have a sample size greater than one?

:-?
Steven
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

My pipe band had one of the many Highland/military regalia merchants from Pakistan embroider ties and hat badges for our uniforms. Everything had a diesel smell to it but it went away within a day. I'm sure there's a logical explanation as to why.
Cheers,
Aaron
DanD

Post by DanD »

Steven said
Has anyone else ever come across one of these beasts in person, so we have a sample size greater than one
See the discussion at
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=9951
It increases the sample size 100% :lol:

See also:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10985
(I knew these had been discussed before!!) :)
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
eilam

Post by eilam »

I have one which I like a lot. The bottom notes are a bit off, extending the foot by 1/4"
seems to put it right in tune. I think there made of ebonite which is a hard rubber.
When I got the flute, it did not play great, till' I replaced the stopper, and cleaned the bore. I dropped mine, and the tenon to the barrel broke right off, super glue fixed it right back. I think there worth the money.

cocusflute, your avatar is funny, are you squeezing a f*rt? to much cheese :o
hey, we can all be obnoxious.
eilam.
Gerald_Clark

Post by Gerald_Clark »

I got one too when they were erroniously advertized ad 'D' flutes.
After the cork disc fell out and was replaced by a real cork, it played just fine.

When my kids see me taking it out they say "Not old smelly again!"

I really like mine.
Tradman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

The Eb Wonder...

Post by Tradman »

Hey, I went and looked at the pictures... So, tell me...Where is the foot at? I see the case, the head joint/barrell, the mid section with the threading on both ends but no foot.

???

By the way. How hard is it to remove the keys and post on these anyone?
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
eilam

Post by eilam »

The keys are really easy to take off, but the posts are done really crudely, and they go right into the bore, so if you take those out, you'll end up with a bunch of holes. The keys are not in the way, and it's a great way to get into the simple system flute. The foot and the right hand joint are left assembled, but there is a foot joint.
You could try inserting tape (adhesive facing out) with a dowel into the bore, press tight with the dowel, and fill the holes with epoxy, then peel the tape off and use the dowel with some sandpaper on a drill to clean up the bore?