Low D Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Treasach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D Whistles

Post by Treasach »

I have been playing the Penny Whistle for about 3 months.
I have 5 different D whistles.
I'm looking to buy a low D whistle.
But I'm an asthmatic & I have to be careful to get a whistle that I have the air support for.
I have a Clarke orig. & I have a hard time holding the long notes out.
But on my other whistles I do not have any problems playing them.
I would be very greatful for any info on which whistle to buy & which web site that is the best to buy whistles from.
I'm glad that I have found this site & I looking forward to the info & friends that I can find!
Treasach
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the Howard isn't very demanding
breathwise.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

In my opinion (Overton, Alba, Silkstone, Susato, Kerry, Kerry Pro, Copeland, Burke), on a low D you either have to blow hard or blow a lot. I've found that every low D has demanding breath requirements, one way or another.
/Bloomfield
eran

Post by eran »

heya,

WELCOME :-)

u got to the right place :-)

im also pretty much a begginer...

im not asmathic but i do have a fear of breath eating whistles.

i recommend the Dixon low D, its the whistle i play now.
low air requierments, very nice sound (in my taste), very easy to play.
its also less expensive than most of the low whistles.

i guess the only thing i dont really like about it is the fact that its made of plastic( pvc abs or something like that)

but music is for the ears mind and soul not for the eyes... :lol:

i got mine from www.whistleanddrum.com all the way to israel, and it arrived super fast.

u can also check with tony dixon himself...

have a great day,
good luck
and enjoy the music.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Low D

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
One of the best low whistle players I have ever heard live played an O’Briain. In my opinion a low D with quite a bit of breath requirement. Later I found out that the musician I was listening to also suffered from severe cystic fibrosis. So I guess its all about technique and skill, not just the whistle.
Since you’re just starting out on the low end of whistles, get a Susato low G or F and see how it works out for you. If it rocks – just move on to a D. When you start to feel limited on your PVC tube and notice a driving urge to increase the tonality, that’s the time to move on to the expensive section.

All the best,
/MarcusR
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Have to concur with the Dixon Low D. Easier to play than most breathwise and since it is fairly inexpensive, it won't break your bank if it doesn't work out.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Reyburn Standard bore Low D - the only Low whistle I can play while reclining.
~JessieD
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I agree with Jessie about the Reyburn being a relatively easy blower.

By far the easiest low D I've played as far as breath requirements go is an Erle Bartlett (aka Mr. Syn.) It is very easy on the lungs and very responsive. There is a trade off however. It is a bit soft in the lower octave, especially the low end, and has neither a very pure sound (Burke) nor a very big sound (Overton, Copeland.) Even if you don't like the sound as much as other low Ds, it would help your playing by building your technique and confidence. That said, you might well like the sound. I assume that Erle is still making them despite the success of his new high whistles.
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

If you want a whistle with plenty of resistance and low breath requirement, I dont think you will go far wrong with a Howard. He does some nice coloured ones now too.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

To check out this recent review of the Alba Low D

Click here

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
sturob

Post by sturob »

Reyburn makes a nice low D, I agree. I also like the Cillian O'Briain low D. My favorite, though, is probably the Grinter.

I bought Zubivka's cocobolo-and-silver low D whistle, and it's a wonderful player. And I love the smell of the cedar fipple.

I disagree about the breath requirements of the low D; maybe I'm just looking at it in relationship to the flute, but none has particularly high breath requirements. However, the big whistles ALL require a lot of control of the breath. So they take more finesse.

Maybe that's what people mean when they say that these whistles have big breath requirements . . .

Stuart
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Le Coant? :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

sturob wrote:I bought Zubivka's cocobolo-and-silver low D whistle, and it's a wonderful player. And I love the smell of the cedar fipple.
Heh-heh... would I sell a lemon to fellows? (There's eBay for this, I suppose.)
I love the Grinter in F this transaction financed.
But maybe only because Le Coant doesn't even considering developing a low F. :D
I just don't really want more than one good whistle per tone.
sturob wrote:I disagree about the breath requirements of the low D; maybe I'm just looking at it in relationship to the flute, but none has particularly high breath requirements.
The flute DOES make it relative, I'm sure. Same for those like me who started out from low whistles, not the fippled piccolo thingies...

Now, some low whistles (Overtons and the like) do take less gas. But, as I say, I'll first go for a sound I like, and better stop smoking before bitchin' over breath requirements. Some tonguings can be replaced by sorta glottal stop, stealing just a quick breath to help get to the end of the sentence...
Not to say I diss the high back-pressure power-whistle approach of the Overton.
Tak_the_whistler wrote:Le Coant? :D
:D You bet! Though only it fingering would make it advisable to a beginner. Its breath requirements can be high in Low D, or medium if you pick up such one.
The higher pitches (from low G up) are just fine, not really high-pressured but fuel-efficient...