Ass in the Graveyard

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Hello All,

I have always enjoyed the Tannahill Weavers three whistle rendition of this wonderful pipe tune written by Terry Tully. I thought that this weekend I would give a go at breaking the recording down into written music for the melody and two harmonies. Then it occurred to me that someone else might have already done this. If anyone out there has indeed done this and would be willing to share and save me hours of work I would appreciate it. In the same token, if no one has and anyone wants to reap the benefits of my labor I will be willing to share my results.

David
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

I don't have the music for this, David, but being more or less a local, I'd be happy to work on playing it with you once you get it worked out and if you're interested. And I bet we could prevail on Bloomfield (also local) to work on it with us for a full 3 parts. What do you think?
Jon Michaels
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

On 2002-01-12 15:53, Jon-M wrote:
I don't have the music for this, David, but being more or less a local, I'd be happy to work on playing it with you once you get it worked out and if you're interested. And I bet we could prevail on Bloomfield (also local) to work on it with us for a full 3 parts. What do you think?
Jon Michaels
I think that would be awesome Jon! You read my mind. I was actually hoping I could prevail upon you two to work on this. It would be fun to give it a whirl at the Harp if we can work it out.

Cheers,
David
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

Just wondering....How did that name come about?
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I don't know. I did a search earlier today to see if I could find the harmonies I wanted. One link lead to a Buffy the Vampire Slayer page that had in one sentence "...opened a can of vampire whup-ass in the graveyard". Somehow I don't think that was what inspired Tully to write his tune :smile:
At any rate I spent the latter part of my afternoon transcribing the Tannahill harmonies. So if anyone wants a copy drop me a line.

Cheers,
David
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

From what I've heard, the composer, Terry Tully was on the phone with a friend who is a priest. Terry didn't hear correctly and thought his friend said he was going to see an ass in the graveyard.

As far as transcribing the music, Tully's compositions are available in sheet music form, so I'd imagine you could find the tune with harmony in one of his collections. Just about any music store that carries bagpipes carries his tune books.

Teri
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

His tunebooks, AFAIK, only have the bagpipe setting. No chords or accompaniment. I pulled the melody line from his book "Irish Tunes Old & New".
Jim Frey

Post by Jim Frey »

David, I would love to get a copy! If you get a chance, please send it to kaote@charter.net.

Thanks, Jim
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Count me in!

Jon, I had a great time meeting you at the Harp last Friday and think it would be a blast if we teamed up for a trio when David is in the area!

I don't know the tune, I don't listen to much of the T-Weavers. On which of their 274 CDs can I find it? :smile:

David, I can't wait to get your transcription. Oh and I am "fully ABC compliant." :wink: Let me know which part I should take (might I suggest the easiest?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-01-14 11:48 ]</font>
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

On 2002-01-14 11:45, Bloomfield wrote:

I don't know the tune, I don't listen to much of the T-Weavers. On which of their 274 CDs can I find it? :smile:
:lol: Good one Bloomfield! I'm glad you're game to try this tune. It is the last track on The Mermaids Song. As I have already mentioned to Jon and a couple of others who asked for copies, The Tannahills do it a tad different than Tully wrote it. On the second half of the second B part they play the last half of the A part. I would prefer to do it as Tully wrote it (which is how I notated it). Jon has volunteered to ABC the parts over the next few days (Thanks Jon!). I'll email you a zip file with .gifs and .mids of the parts.

Cheers,
David
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Talk about a quick response. I'll see if I can't pick up a copy of Mermaid Song, even if they do it a little differently. And I'll get to practicing...
/Bloomfield
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-01-13 10:24, Teri-K wrote:
From what I've heard, the composer, Terry Tully was on the phone with a friend who is a priest. Terry didn't hear correctly and thought his friend said he was going to see an ass in the graveyard.
So what was the Priest really saying? Was he off to see a "Lass in the Graveyard" or perhaps take "Mass in the Graveyard", or soemthing else? Wouldn't these make equally tantalising titles? :grin:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

No, he was going to have a pint of Bass in the Graveyard... :wink:
/Bloomfield
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>If'n you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a copy of the tune as well.

<P>9brighids@drakmail.net is the addy. Great tune isn't it? :^)

<P>~Firefly
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Feadan,

I was wondering if you guys have finished with this. I love the Tannahill Weavers and was wondering if I could also get a copy.

Thanks,

Craig
Oceanwindsurfer@hotmail.com