Tin Whistle Upper Register

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
finkelsj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tin Whistle Upper Register

Post by finkelsj »

I'm new to tin whistles, but not to music. I've got a set of Susato sopranos (D,C,Eb) and a Clarke D soprano. I've been stymied trying to get control of the Susato's in the upper register, but have no problem with the Clarke. Can anyone provide some advice on what I am doing wrong?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

welcome!

a susato is not so balanced and needs variable blowing on some notes. it takes some practice.
it's only worth it when you really love the sound of a whistle.

have you listened to sound samples yet?
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm

i
Last edited by lixnaw on Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

When i first bought my susato i thought i had bought a dud, the upper register was horrible, or so i thought,
It seems susato's require a bit more breath control then their metal counterparts,
In other words, you sometimes need to blow much harder in the upper register then usual to get proper pitch,
My problem was solved, wasnt the whistles fault, i just had to adapt
This has been my experience, others may offer a different opinion,
good luck
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I know what's wrong! You are trying to play a Susato!

Stick to the Clarke.

YMMV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Take the Susato somewhere where you won't
bother anybody, maybe outside, and BLOW.
Start with the C tube.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Be careful on high A and B not to cover any of the lower holes on the Susato. That is, don't leave your ring finger down. xoo oox for high B doesn't work on the Susato.
/Bloomfield
elendil

control of upper register

Post by elendil »

three very easy ways to get control of your upper register come to mind.

1) more expensive: get a burke.

2) a little less expensive: get a water weasel.

3) less expensive still: get a generation, replace the head with a hoover whitecap.
elendil
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Easy Tweak

add a ring of "Fun-Tac" (a DAP putty) to the bore end hole. By reducing the diameter of the bore end hole, you will flatten your bell note in the first register(blow a little harder) but this will "stabilize" the second register with "backpressure".
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
cj

Post by cj »

Susatos do take a bit of getting used to in the upper reaches, but they're IMHO overall great whistles at a great price. If your budget permits, you might try some others, esp. cheapies, just to see where your preferences are. The new Jerry Freeman tweaked Generation ($36.50) is one I'm gonna try and will likely be easier to manage upstairs.
finkelsj

Post by finkelsj »

Um, not to sound too much like a rookie :)

Where is the bore-end hole?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Dear Finkel: The Weekender approach to your problem is to chuck the whistle until you find one that doesn't give you the trouble. Especially if you think tweaking whistles is an imposition on your diminishing lifetime. If you are younger than me, you probably don't yet think that way...

I tried everything in the stores I could find, including high-end Harpers and Chieftains at Lark In the Morning in SF. I even bought a Sweet Maple D and a Chieftains A, thinking I would get better at 'em. Then I discovered CF a few years back. Read all the praise. Decided to take a chance on a Burke. Got a whistle that plays very smoothly upstairs. I am told that Sindt whistles have similar qualities. After a while, you realize that more experienced players will sometimes put up with a more difficult upper register if it blows louder or somehow stronger than the Burke (see basic whistle types on the main website) up and down the scale. Part of it is that they have only ever had a difficult whistle so it doesn't seem like such a big deal, imo.

I have a guess that many people here could play faster and smoother (especially on high rolls on G, A, and B) if they had an easier upper register but they think its themselves that is the problem. If they can master the rolls on a hard-to-play whistle, my hats off to 'em and I am sure they are out there. You even start to wonder if you are inauthentic because you won't put up with it...."If its good enough for Miko, then, etc etc."

I have three Susatos, which uniformally offer a challenge above the 9th note of the scale (true for older Sweet Maple, too). I have two E's which I can't stand, but a C that is pretty nice. I replaced them both with Burkes and both the brass C and E are treasures, tho I will probably always hang onto the C susato.

My two cents.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you want the easy, quick road to satisfaction, get a whistle that's easier to play.

If you want to learn breath control that will one day make other whistler's jaws drop, stick to the Susato and learn to play it.

Or you can choose the path most commonly taken, and start buying all sorts of whistles left and right... ;)

Seriously, a Susato can be mastered. It just takes practice and patience.

--James
serpent

Post by serpent »

peeplj wrote:If you want the easy, quick road to satisfaction, get a whistle that's easier to play.

If you want to learn breath control that will one day make other whistler's jaws drop, stick to the Susato and learn to play it.

Or you can choose the path most commonly taken, and start buying all sorts of whistles left and right... ;)

Seriously, a Susato can be mastered. It just takes practice and patience.

--James
Buy Serpents. Lots of Serpents!!! (... sorry, Dale ... )
:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The pricing of the Susato is highly misleading. They look like the sort of whistle you would buy when you want something better than your low-end cheapo and yet aren't quite ready to fork out on a high-end whistle. In other words, they look like the whistles you would purchase to learn on as soon as you get serious. Wrong. They actually require quite a bit of experience to play well.

I'd just about given up on them when I had high-end (and sometimes good low-end) whistles in all the keys I play in often. A year or so on I picked up a couple of Susato highs and was really quite impressed. In that time I figure I'd made the progress needed to play them well. In that in-between price range a Jerry Freeman tweaked somthing-or-other might well be what you want. You'll know that someone with tweaking know how has sorted out playability problems for you.

Another great value-for-money choice would be a Syn.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

finkelsj. That is not a silly question.

The "bore end hole" is the bottom of the tube opposite the mouth piece. This hole is a "playing hole" too, just like all the others on the <b>side</b> of the tube.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com